• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dr@Xbox

Dr@Xbox

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 08:53 PM

hello all, i guess i'll have to be a noob today wink.gif anyways...my xbox is dead now, it won't boot up. it gets the "your xbox needs service" warning and that's it.

it clicks loudly and at frist i thought the dvd drive was messed up, but no. i opened the xbox up, ran it open, and heard the sounds comming from the harddisk.
since there's only afew moving parts in the harddisk i knew it was the little arm in there dry.gif (i even opened it up to make shure, and yes, the arm is moving back and forth).

well i want to know if i can do one of the below:

-can i repair that arm somehow so the harddrive works right again?

-can i buy a new harddrive and put the platters from the xbox drive into the new HD chassie(sp?)?

-or do i have no option but to buy some sort of mod chip and mod it to take a new harddrive?

thanks in advance, i want to play my xbox again...it's been weeks since it would actually boot at all:(

#2 Klatu

Klatu

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 March 2004 - 08:58 PM

yes clicking/grinding is a sign that your hard drive has crapped out. time to upgrade for a newer larger one cool.gif

you cannot repair it, if you opened it and got dust in it it's a paperweight now. not cost effective to repair anyways by a professional.

just get a mod chip for $20-30, and a new hard drive (you can get an 80gig for like $30-40 bucks) and enjoy the features you wish you had with an unmodded stock xbox smile.gif

#3 Dr@Xbox

Dr@Xbox

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 09:32 PM

heh no i made shure to keep the drive clean..but yeah i gues it's a POS now dry.gif

anyways...what do you reccomend for a mod chip? preferable a no solder soultion :-)

#4 da_shatterer

da_shatterer

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 09:36 PM

If you want a no-solder approach the Xecuter 2.3 Lite+ is a really good chip. Been using it for about 4 months and everything has been runnin smooth.

#5 player1

player1

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 09:39 PM

take a look at the xecuter lite plus m8.

Its probably the most popular non solder mod.

#6 mike96sc2

mike96sc2

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 08 March 2004 - 09:47 PM

If you just want a working unmodded xbox again and you have a 1.0 or 1.1 I could fix it for you really cheap in day or two, just a thought. But yeah you need a new hard drive

#7 Klatu

Klatu

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 10:19 PM

how would you fix it? the eeprom would have to be changed to match the new locked hard drive unless you use a mod chip *shrugs*

#8 mike96sc2

mike96sc2

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (Klatu @ Mar 8 2004, 06:19 PM)
how would you fix it? the eeprom would have to be changed to match the new locked hard drive unless you use a mod chip *shrugs*

Nothing a good temporary mod couldn't fix, I was just going to use one of my Solderless chips and then load up slayers and rebuild one of the factory hard drives i have laying around here then take the mod out and it would be back to good

#9 Klatu

Klatu

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE (mike96sc2 @ Mar 8 2004, 05:26 PM)
QUOTE (Klatu @ Mar 8 2004, 06:19 PM)
how would you fix it?  the eeprom would have to be changed to match the new locked hard drive unless you use a mod chip *shrugs*

Nothing a good temporary mod couldn't fix, I was just going to use one of my Solderless chips and then load up slayers and rebuild one of the factory hard drives i have laying around here then take the mod out and it would be back to good

very cool... but how would the eeprom know the new lock/unlock code? is there a way to program them?

sorry for the "interrogation" heh i'm just real curious cuz a friend of mine has an xbox with a similar problem

#10 Dr@Xbox

Dr@Xbox

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 06:52 PM

sleeping.gif the Xecuter 2.3 Lite+ looks intresting. how much is it and where do you reccomend i get one? biggrin.gif

#11 player1

player1

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:53 PM

go to thier site http://teamxecuter.com/

look down on the left at thier list of official sellers and chose one nearest to your location.

#12 mike96sc2

mike96sc2

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE (Klatu @ Mar 8 2004, 06:27 PM)
[QUOTE]
very cool... but how would the eeprom know the new lock/unlock code? is there a way to program them?

sorry for the "interrogation" heh i'm just real curious cuz a friend of mine has an xbox with a similar problem

Granted this is somewhat me talking out of my ass here because I haven't tried this yet (I will be this week though or next). I'm under the impression (at least from when I did my hard drive upgrade) that the eeprom is actually stored on the board itself so ConfigMagic should be able to pick this up no problem and lock the new unlocked hard drive with the eeprom from the original board/hard drive combo. Otherwise with the mod on you should still be able to load up a whole new eeprom to replace the one on your board and such as well. If I'm wrong I welcome anyone to interject and show me my error but I hope that makes sense. Also Klatu, no worries, if you or your friend want to try this I'm thinking it would work and if it doesn't then I will do my best to remember and let you know.

#13 blacksonic

blacksonic

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (Klatu @ Mar 8 2004, 10:58 PM)
yes clicking/grinding is a sign that your hard drive has crapped out. time to upgrade for a newer larger one cool.gif

you cannot repair it, if you opened it and got dust in it it's a paperweight now. not cost effective to repair anyways by a professional.

just get a mod chip for $20-30, and a new hard drive (you can get an 80gig for like $30-40 bucks) and enjoy the features you wish you had with an unmodded stock xbox smile.gif

were can u find one for $40?

#14 Klatu

Klatu

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (blacksonic @ Mar 9 2004, 03:06 PM)
QUOTE (Klatu @ Mar 8 2004, 10:58 PM)
yes clicking/grinding is a sign that your hard drive has crapped out.  time to upgrade for a newer larger one cool.gif

you cannot repair it, if you opened it and got dust in it it's a paperweight now.  not cost effective to repair anyways by a professional. 

were can u find one for $40?

http://forums.anandtech.com

check the hot deals section and the for sale section...

saw an 80 gig in there not too long ago for $40 after a $20 rebate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users