• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 nonamer66

nonamer66

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts
  • Interests:MUSTANGS AND HOT GIRLS WITH BIG BOOBS!!!!
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 December 2002 - 08:36 PM

OK guys, I've been doing some temperature monitoring to see just how hot our little boxes are getting. I ran the test using Sega GT 2002 and having the computers play each other constantly. ALL FAHRENHEIT TEMPS:

CPU Temperature Test Results:

started at room temperature 77 degrees
15 minutes - 105 degrees
30 minutes - 120 degrees
45 minutes to 1 and half hours is steady at - 122 degrees

ok when I turned the xbox off the CPU jumped from 122 degrees to 127 degrees and from 127 degrees back down to 100 degrees took... ONE HOUR AND FIVE MINUTES!!!!

GPU Temperature Test Results:

10:06am Cold Start 80 degrees
7 MINUTES PASS
10:13am Stayed on menu since cold start and GPU is at 131 degrees
3 MINUTES PASS
10:14 am 131 degrees - Started Sega GT 2002 Game
3 MINUTES PASS
10:17am Reached 134 degrees
3 MINUTES PASS
10:20am Reached 136 degrees
1 MINUTE PASS
10:21am Reached 138 degrees
4 MINUTES PASS
10:25am Reached 140 degrees
4 MINUTES PASS
10:29am Reached 141 degrees
7 MINUTES PASS
10:36am Reached 143 degrees
20 MINUTES PASS
10:56am Steady at 143 degrees

XBOX GPU Reaches A Steady 143 Degrees in 52 Minutes

After Turning XBOX off when GPU is at 143 degrees. It doesn’t jump in heat like the CPU does. This leaves me to believe that the fan really doesn’t do anything for the GPU. After 8 minutes shut down the GPU has already cooled down to 116 degrees.

final thought... Even If you have only opened your xbox just to put a modchip in then you have voided your waranty. You should strongly consider finding a way to keep your temps down because you can't just go send it back to microcrap if you have overheating problems.

Edited by nonamer66, 17 December 2002 - 11:12 PM.

#2 CooLJoE

CooLJoE

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 17 December 2002 - 09:31 PM

Umm, try removing the fan and then recording GPU temps. Then come back and say the fan doesn't do anything.

#3 Ben999_

Ben999_

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 December 2002 - 09:33 PM

he means that when the cpu fan stops, it makes the temps go higher because it is not cooling once the xbox is powered down.

#4 fizgig10

fizgig10

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 10:41 PM

After Turning XBOX off when GPU is at 143 degrees. It doesn’t jump in heat like the CPU does. This leaves me to believe that the fan really doesn’t do anything for the GPU. After 8 minutes shut down the GPU has already cooled down to 116 degrees.

Not sure why you conclude that. From what I remember about the 1.0 innards, the GPU has a fan and the CPU has a sink. If that is true then what you see is exactly what should have happened.

When the juice is turned off, the main fan stops and the convection process that removes the heat from the CPU sink crawls to a stop. The heat energy built into the CPU sink travels back into the CPU via conduction since there isn't anywhere else for it to go - causing the CPU temp to rise.

In contrast, the fan on the GPU has very little sink capability (I think it was all plastic). Therefore, you will see no energy flow back into the GPU hence no post-shutdown temp increase. The fan on the GPU is extremely important since it assists in the convection heat dissipation process. If you take away the GPU fan, there will be no good way of dissipating the heat and the GPU temp will rise until failure.

edit: had CPU in a spot where I meant to say GPU

Edited by fizgig10, 17 December 2002 - 11:34 PM.

#5 nonamer66

nonamer66

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 10:53 PM

ok, I guess I'm going to eat my words on the GPU fan. So your saying better to have that little fan than rather having a huge heatsink to replace it?

#6 fizgig10

fizgig10

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 10:57 PM

ok, I guess I'm going to eat my words on the GPU fan. So your saying better to have that little fan than rather having a huge heatsink to replace it

Oh, I thought you were just gonna take it off since you thought it was worthless.

I suppose you could replace it with a heat sink. Just make sure that the heat sink is capable of dissipating the power you're talking about. Also, the air stream from the main fan should be flowing directly over the sink. Keep in mind that you will also see the temperature of the GPU rise after power off unlike how it is now...

Engineers typically test a system with probes all the way to steady-state (no more temperature change) or failure. Since you don't have a few XBOX's to throw away as they get damaged by these tests, I'm not sure if the reward is worth the risk...

#7 knowledgeiv

knowledgeiv

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 11:08 PM

What method did you use to record temperatures?

#8 nonamer66

nonamer66

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 11:09 PM

temp sensor from my pc motherboard.

#9 the_Watchers_eye

the_Watchers_eye

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 11:20 PM

Those temps are more than my damn Athlon Tbird!

Anyway for UKers and anyone else here is a fahrenheit to celcius converter: http://pubweb.acns.n...~hsl700/Fah.htm

#10 nonamer66

nonamer66

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 11:24 PM

Those temps are more than my damn Athlon Tbird!

ditto, my Athlon XP 1800 runs cooler than that. It has a cheap heatsink and fan cooling it and its running a steady 98.4 degrees.

#11 Gackt

Gackt

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 12:14 AM

I would like to know something, I am asking this seriously.

Does it really matter? The Xbox is designed in a way not to get damaged by the sole use of the system, maybe measuring the temperature of the system with a bigger/faster HDD would make sense, but, is this important?

Edited by Gackt, 18 December 2002 - 12:15 AM.

#12 schlacht

schlacht

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 12:27 AM

Important and Does it matter are incredibly relative terms depending on who is defining them. For me, I don't call it important, but I do appreciate it. It is interesting to see how much hotter the system is than some of the hottest x86 hardware out there. It also leads me to believe with these kind of temps the system is meant to have a shorter lifespan than most of us would desire. But, no, important is not the word I would use ... but yes interesting.

Now, excuse me while I go install another fan, HAHA jester.gif

#13 knowledgeiv

knowledgeiv

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE (Gackt @ Dec 17 2002, 11:14 PM)
The Xbox is designed in a way not to get damaged by the sole use of the system

Nothing is made to run forever. Only long enough to put cash in the sellers pockets and make it past the warranty date. Don't forget most companies make money on repairs, so they are not into giving products long lifespans; that's not cost efficient. So I would say temperatures are important and extra cooling of the Xbox is also important to give it a long happy life.

Edited by knowledgeiv, 18 December 2002 - 02:19 AM.

#14 nonamer66

nonamer66

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 03:34 AM

yes it is important as I said in my first post...

final thought... Even If you have only opened your xbox just to put a modchip in then you have voided your warranty. You should strongly consider finding a way to keep your temps down because you can't just go send it back to microcrap if you have overheating problems.

This is why its important because your warranty is void for those of us who have opened our boxes. We have to keep them as cool as possible. Plus this is a great way to brag about your xbox mods biggrin.gif

Gackt, telling by most of your statements you seem to favor a ps2 more than an xbox. Do you even own an xbox?

Edited by nonamer66, 18 December 2002 - 03:37 AM.

#15 Greystorm

Greystorm

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 04:30 AM

Where did you place your PC's thermal probe to measure CPU and GPU temps? I might do this and see what the temps are like on my modded 1.0 box with large GPU heatsink and no fan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users