• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ZedDedd

ZedDedd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 08:08 PM

I followed some posts about Crimson Skies not working w/PBL. I happened to find a way of getting it to work using an older Evox dash (see my post here):

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=184082

Why would just about any dash but the old RemoteX1.8 not allow Crimson Skies to work (under PBL)? What in a dash actually loads a game, does it just make a generic call, or is it totally coded differently for each dash? Is the memory footprint too big in newer dashes (probably not the case because I boot up the old dash from within Evox3935 when playing CS)? One other thing I did notice is that the xgamesaver won't work with RemoteX.

Is there a good probability that they would fix this in upcoming Evox and other dashboard releases?

Thanks.

#2 Nailed

Nailed

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 09:25 PM

It's something about EvoX in particular. Executing Crimson Skies directly from PBL or XSelect does not work (both which should use very little memory).

#3 heinrich

heinrich

..assuming the role of God

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,576 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 March 2004 - 09:35 PM

ZedDedd, exactly which versions does it work, and not work, 'RemoteX1.8' is not a complete version.

Also, in 3935, have you tried to toggle the tsr and igr settings? (the former most likely the problem).

It's something about EvoX in particular. Executing Crimson Skies directly from PBL or XSelect does not work (both which should use very little memory).

Maybe I am not reading that right, but you are saying that it doesnt work with those other 2 apps, and that evox is the problem. That makes no sense to me. And PBL doesnt launch the app per se, the bios does when it loads.

#4 Nailed

Nailed

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE (heinrich @ Mar 12 2004, 10:35 PM)
Maybe I am not reading that right, but you are saying that it doesnt work with those other 2 apps, and that evox is the problem. That makes no sense to me. And PBL doesnt launch the app per se, the bios does when it loads.

I could've definitely worded that better. It worked with EvoX 3682. I have not tried it with 3935 with TSR or IGR turned off.

And, you're correct... more specifically, Crimson Skies won't launch when executed as a dashboard from a BIOS.

#5 iznogib

iznogib

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 01:00 PM

I just verified this on a 1.4 (5101/4920) with bigfonts, PBL 1.4-yoshihiro and x2 4981.06.

Using build 3935 and x2 4981 the game won't even launch, it hangs on the evox launching screen. With evox m7 everything is fine up until you finish the tutorial mission then it hangs while loading. Turning TSR and IGR on/off makes no difference.

Now here's the interesting part, using build 3682 and x2 4981 the game works as expected just like retail or with a modchip. However, with evox m7 the game behaves like it did on build 3935.

If you turn off IGR under misc settings in build 3682 (the only one set to yes) the game won't load with x2 4981 just like in build 3935.

#6 ZedDedd

ZedDedd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 07:57 PM

The dash is Evox RemoteX V1.8.368... but the rest was cut off my screen - mine is probably 3682 like iznogib's. I tried it on the latest versions of Evox, MXM, UnleashX, Nexgen and Avalaunch (and a couple others)and it has not worked on any of them, only the Evox RemoteX v1.8.3682 dashboard that came with the fonthackpackage-dc (feenix) from the usual places - by the way thanks again heinrich for unbanning me!

If you watch it try and load with the latest Evox dash and default skin, you can see when the MS Game Studio logo tries to load it loops endlessly at the "ball" before it transforms to the logo.

That is interesting that it won't work under EvoxM7..... as iznogib and I have found using the newer dashes the game actually got farther under EvoxM7_ef. Trying to pick my plane for the Big John mission was as far as I got with the other dashes.

I thought I had tried the IGR settings both ways in 3682 and it worked, however I was just playing around and probably mistaken.....

If the dashboard developers were interested, they look at the different points of failures under the different circumstances and pinpoint the problem.

Another obvious question, why only with PBL, or is this all soft mods, font, or font and audio etc.? I'll have to go search to see under what circumstances again...

Edited by ZedDedd, 16 March 2004 - 01:56 PM.

#7 mecheeky

mecheeky

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 04:14 AM

i just used px loader 1.2a with evox dash 9321 and x2 4977 bios worked perfect

#8 ZedDedd

ZedDedd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 01:58 PM

mecheeky, is that with a soft modded Xbox and BFM bios?

#9 iznogib

iznogib

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 07:46 PM

Oh and another thing I noticed. Since any app you launch from 3682 will have the IGR code you'll be able to run Crimson Skies from them just fine.

Tried it on xcommander, avalaunch and xbmc. Doesn't work with 3935 obviously since the IGR code is different and gets replaced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users