• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CheebaHawk

CheebaHawk

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 01:54 AM

I am thinking about getting my xbox modded but i wwant to make sure im making the right decision. i would like any information on the pros and cons of getting my box modded.
(1) Is it even possible to play xbox live once you get you box modded?
(2) What is a reasonable price for a 120g harddrive
(3) How Do i get evox onto my box, is it a disk, or does some modchips just come with it?
(4) I want a top-of-the-line setup, is the x-ecutor 3 plus a good desision?

Forgive me for my extreme illiteracy on xbox and hacking terms, any help would be very much appreciated.

#2 CheebaHawk

CheebaHawk

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 01:55 AM

I am thinking about getting my xbox modded but i want to make sure im making the right decision. i would like any information on the pros and cons of getting my box modded.
(3) How Do i get evox onto my box, is it a disk, or does some modchips just come with it?

Forgive me for my extreme illiteracy on xbox and hacking terms, any help would be very much appreciated.

#3 dokworm

dokworm

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 02:16 AM

At the moment if you set it up right and have a switchable mod chip then yes.
But MS is now checking Hard disk ID's so it won't be long b4 you can't if you have put a new Hard Drive in your xbox.

Also you can only use truly original games on xbox live, no backups.

You can however use XBNConnect or one of the other tools to play online bypassing xbox live and its fees etc.

If you *really* want no hassles xbox live play, then pick up an unmodded refurbished cheapo xbox for that purpose, and mod the hell outta your other one.

About $130-$160 is a reasonable price - you can get a bit cheaper, but we are talking a few dollars. I would get a seagate barracuda IV. They run cooler and quieter than other models, and for 5 bucks extra you can get the 8MB cache 3 year warranty model - cheap peace of mind.

If you mean the evox bios, then there are many flashing programs to put it onto your modchip. They usually don't come with it as it is illegal. They often will come with cromwell or similar and have a utility to flash it with evox. I personally use the Xecuter X2 bios.

If you mean the evox dashboard, then that you download and ftp across to your xbox, or use an installer like Slayers Evox Installer which you burn to CD-RW or DVD-R and boot your xbox from it and use the menu that pops up to install the evox dashboard and some other apps.

It depends what you want to do with it. If you are only interested in backing up your games, and running homebrew apps like XBMP/Mame etc then you could just flah your TSOP and give the whole modchip a miss.
Otherwise if you want to run a big debug bios or multiple bioses or have a little LCD screen or whatever then read the reviews on this site and make a choice.
Most people will never use that stuff though, unless they are a closet developer.

hope that helps.
-Worm

#4 CheebaHawk

CheebaHawk

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 02:30 AM

thanks worm you helped me out tons

#5 dokworm

dokworm

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 02:41 AM

Oh yeah, one more thing, don't buy a serial ata (SATA) drive, you need an IDE one for minimum hassle

#6 chefelf

chefelf

Brandishing the Triforce of Modding

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Web Design, Writing, Cycling, Hardware Modification, Building Computers, Music
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 March 2004 - 02:55 AM

Yes.

Around $80 - $90. Check your Sunday Best Buy/CompUSA flyers for better deals with rebates... or: http://www.newegg.co...talog=14&depa=1

Read the tutorials section.

Yes, but it's not out yet so you'd have to wait.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users