X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 March 2004 - 02:30 AM

tHc Dash skinning 101
Note: This tutorial is not for tHc lite.

APPLYING A DOWNLOADED SKIN

TOOLS:
XapEditor and WinXip and any FTP client (flashfxp)

Ok, so the first thing you'd want to know is where all of the pics you can change are. It's really not important but if your like me you HAVE to know
Here's the list.

Default: Cellwall.xbx,dvdstop.xbx,dvdstopw.xbx,Gamehilite_01.xbx, xbox logo.xbx,xboxlogo128.xbx,xboxlogo64.xbx,xboxlogow
and xboxbg.xbx can be added.

DVD: dvd_button.xbx, DVD_paneltex.xbx

Jkeyboard: keyboard_alpha.xbx

keyboard: keyboard_alpha.xbx

mainmenu5: cellwall2.xbx, clock_bgpanel.xbx, orbcellwall.xbx,xbox4.xbx

memory2: MU_gauge1.xbx,MUgaugeHL.xbx, panel8.xbx

memory_files2: MemMetaBacking.xbx,MemMetaBacking2.xbx, memoryunit128.xbx,ModeBacking.xbx,MU_gauge1.xbx,MUgaugeHL.xbx, NamePanel_backing.xbx, soundtracksave3.xbx, soundtracksave64.xbx, XboxliveAccount128.xbx, XboxliveAccount64.xbx, XboxliveGameTitleOrb128.xbx

Message: dvd_button.xbx, DVD_paneltex.xbx, panel8.xbx, speaker_logo.xbx, speaker_logo2.xbx, status_gauge.xbx

music2: cd_opacity.xbx, outline.xbx, panel4.xbx, steel.xbx

music_copy3: cd_opacity.xbx,orbcellwall.xbx, outline.xbx, panel_soundtracks.xbx

Music_PlayEdit2: cd_opacity.xbx, Morbcellwall.xbx, outline.xbx, panel9.xbx, plate2b.xbx, steel.xbx, tracklist_lines.xbx, xboxlogo2.xbx

settings3: outline.xbx,settings_home_bgpanel.xbx, Sourbcewall.xbx

settings_adoc: error loading!

Settings_Clock: 1orbcellwall.xbx, clock_bgpanel.xbx

settings_language: 2Sorbcellwall.xbx, language_backgroundpanel.xbx, outline.xbx

settings_list: 3Sorbcellwall.xbx, settings_3buttons_panel.xbx, settings_3buttons_panel2.xbx, settings_4buttons_panel.xbx

settings_panel: 4Sorbcellwall.xbx, clock_bgpanel.xbx

settings_parental: 5Sorbcellwall.xbx, PC_panel.xbx

settings_timezone: 5Sorbcellwall.xbx, language_backgroundpanel.xbx, outline.xbx

settings_video: 7Sorbcellwall.xbx, video_bgpanel.xbx

That's all of them. So, you say, "well I don't want to have to edit each one of them!" Well, you don't. If you want a new looking skin but aren't up to edit each xbx individually you don't have to.
There are three main xbx files that make up the way the dash looks. The orbcellwall.xbx, xboxlogo.xbx, and the xboxbg.xbx.
xboxbg.xbx is what's used as the background of the tHc dash. the xboxlogo.xbx is the inside of the parent.(the big circle with the tabs coming out) and orbcellwall.xbx is the lines in the background.
If you change xboxlogo.xbx and xboxbg.xbx, you have basically a new tHc dash skin.

So, now that you know what and where everything is, you don't. There are .xap files inside of .xip files. Notice how tHc doesn't have a background image to start with? One of the xap files has to be edited to make the dash see a background file. You'll need to open winxip to extract the default.xap out of default.xip. Once you've extracted the default.xap you'll need to edit it with the text editor in XapEditor. Open up default.xap, copy "DEF theBackground Background" into the search box and hit enter.
It should bring you to these lines

DEF theBackground Background
{
skycolor 0 0 0
}

You'll need to add
"backdrop ImageTexture { url "xboxbg.xbx" }" right below skycolor 0 0 0 so it lookse like

DEF theBackground Background
{
skycolor 0 0 0
backdrop ImageTexture { url "xboxbg.xbx" }
}

If backdrop ImageTexture { url "xboxbg.xbx" } needs to be tabbed to be lined up under skycolor 0 0 0 do it.

Save the edited default.xap and insert it back into default.xip.

The hard part is basically over!!! Now depending on the skin and dash version you might have to do a little more, you might have to do a little less.
You'll just be updating xbx files from here on. Some skins bunch their xbx files up because as you may have noticed some get used over and over again.
The good skins will have each xip that needs to be edited as it's own folder with the xbx files that need to be inserted into the coresponding xip file.
So the default.xip folder would have a Cellwall.xbx,dvdstop.xbx,dvdstopw.xbx,Gamehilite_01.xbx, xbox logo.xbx,xboxlogo128.xbx,xboxlogo64.xbx,xboxlogow
and xboxbg.xbx. That's if all of the xbx files were edited. Most of the times most of the files are not edited so they wont be in the folder.

In a default default.xip, xboxbg.xbx wont be present. Just right click on an open line in winxip and insert it in. For the other files do the same. It will ask if you want to overwrite the file, just click yes.
Once each and every edited xbx file is injected over the old xbx save the xip. Once all of the xip files have been edited and saved it's time to resign the tHcdash.xbe.

The Xbox dash does not have to be named xboxdash.xbe to be resigned properly*** After it's been resigned you can name it what ever your heart desires too.
In winxip click on File and click on Resign MS Dashboard...
A new window will pop up asking what xbe to resign and where to point for the xip files to resign with it.
Hit the Browse icon(looks like [ ... ] and browse to the thcdash.xbe renamed to xboxdash.xbx and click it as the xbe to resign. A list of files will pop up with the "NO" cirlce around them.
Hit the second Browse icon and browse to the folder where all of the folders containing the xip files you just edited are and hit ok.
The "No" circle should change to a check mark over every file. Just hit Resign and that's it!
You'll need to FTP just the tHcdash.xbe and tHc_Dash_v1x.xxxxxxxx folder. Rename the tHcdash.xbe to what ever name is needed for the xbox to point to it.

Load up tHc and you should see your new skin.

MAKING NEW IMAGES FOR A SKIN (XBX FILES FROM SCRATCH)

TOOLS:
MSPaint(or any art program) Bundler.exe, Fastxbx2dds2img, WinXip

The fun part of skinning... Making your own. First things first. The screen out put is 640x480 but, the xboxbg.xbx needs to be sized 1024x512.
All the .xbx files are different sizes. I suggest you use a program that will let you paste over an image. To make sure you're getting the right size image save the .xbx as an image and use that as a template.

Now comes time for Fastxbx2dds2img. When you first download Fastxbx2dds2img it IS NOT ready for use! You must download Bundler.exe and put it in the tools folder inside Fastxbx2dds2img.
On top of that, you must unregister and reregister kixforms.dll. This is easy enought from any dos promt.(cmd)
type in regsvr32 -u kixforms.dll to unregister the .dll.
then type regsvr32 kixforms.dll to reregister the .dll.

Now your Fastxbx2dds2img is ready for use. Atleast it should be. If it isn't don't ask me I don't know what the problem is. Try redownloading Bundler or something.
In order to use Fastxbx2dds2img the file type has to be in it's matching folder inside Fastxbx2dds2img.
Like the xbx you want to convert has to be in the xbx folder, otherwise you wont be able to see it.
Select the option you want to preform. You should see a green bar go across the bottom of the app., and it should say complete when it's finished.

Now hopefully you have all your pics saved as xbx and are ready to put them into the .xip files.
Open up Winxip and select the .xip you want to update. Just go down the list and right click an open area. Hit insert and navagate to the xbx you want to update and hit ok.
Once all of the .xbx files are updated in the xip hit save and move onto the next .xip file.
After all of the .xip files are edited hit resign. Follow the steps above to resign the dash and it's done.

EDITING THE COLORS OF THE DASH

TOOL:
Haxbe

This is what is going to set off the dash. Usuing the standard colors looks great for the most part,
but in order for the dash to have the extra kick you might need to match some colors in your background or lighten some stuff up.
Hexbe is a good tool that make it easy for you to edit the almost all the colors of the dash.
One thing you will notice is Hexbe brings up the standard coloring of the green dash. It will not update the colors just useing the .xbe.
Save your Projects! Otherwise you'll regret it later.
Because it would be impossible to make it anymore clear as to what color is applied to where I'll post a link to
http://kanaberra.ner...photo/hexbe.htm
Don't thank me, thank Kanaberra for it.
If you can't figure out what you need to change in order to get the dash to look the way you want with that, please leave the skinning to someone like GLiTcH!

Once you've gotten the coloring the way you want just save your work. Thats it just Ftp the xbe back to C and it should be the way you wanted.

SWITCHING YOUR SKIN WITHOUT THE USE OF A PC

TOOL:
boXplorer

This is for people who already have multiple skins resigned and ready for use on their xbox.
An easy way to update your skin is keep them in E: or F: then use boXplorer to overwrite the xboxdash.xbe and the .xip files needed for the skin.
It's not as easy as picking a skin in evox but it works.
NOTE! If you use two different dash colors like Blue and Red you have to rename the tHc_Dash_v1?.10027100 to mimic the dash you're switching to. Otherwise you'll get an error 21.

Edited by Odb718, 10 June 2004 - 06:23 AM.

#2 kanaberra

kanaberra

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:SK8, Music (electro-lounge-dub) & Geekin'

Posted 14 March 2004 - 06:57 AM

BIG THX for the hard work to generate a detailled & complete tut like that, it's all in there wink.gif

#3 chili

chili

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 08:00 AM

good tut m8 well done
question...what part of the dash will this file change......Gamehilite_01.xbx

ta

#4 cantloseu

cantloseu

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 14 March 2004 - 01:09 PM

yes, thanks for taking the time to disect all the processes, people like me appreciate it.

i just want to add when resigning the dash and when the circles change to all check marks, the file "settings_adoc" would not show up for me and would have to be manually added.

you just need to hit "add" button at the bottom and point to the tHc_Dash_v1x.xxxxxxxx folder.

#5 g3m1nii

g3m1nii

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 05:59 PM

I have tried several times to install a new skin to my tHC dash. mad.gif Examples: Matriculation skins, PIDs Purple Lighting, and mAEs.
I am using the v1b.10027100 dash with the 12-27-03 patch. It was mentioned in Kanaberra's tut that you need to use an original.xbe in order to be able to skin your dash not the one that came with v1x. In this tut you mention that you can simply rename your .xbe to xboxdash.xbe. So I am a little confused. blink.gif I have tried to use my own original .xbe but it will not resign, it actually will not patch with 4720 either because of a file size error. When I treid to use the thc.xbe that came with my v1b, it could not be patched with the 4720 by fuckdb. I have the v1b installed currently and configured the menus and settings to my liking. As well as patched for G support and it resigned fine. But it would be nice to be able to use a new skin. Any suggestions would be helpful. smile.gif

Thanks for all the great work you guys have all done with this dash. I think it is hands down the best dash mod yet! beerchug.gif

#6 Odb718

Odb718

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 03:43 AM

QUOTE (g3m1nii @ Mar 14 2004, 07:59 PM)
  In this tut you mention that you can simply rename your .xbe to xboxdash.xbe.  So I am a little confused.   blink.gif I have tried to use my own original .xbe but it will not resign, it actually will not patch with 4720 either because of a file size error.  When I treid to use the thc.xbe that came with my v1b, it could not be patched with the 4720 by fuckdb.

Wow cool.gif
I wasn't expecting such a responce so quick.

It sounds like you tried to patch the original original xboxdash.xbe?!?!
Ok, I'm not sure if you've done this or not. Get the .xbe that came with the dash
tHcdash.xbe, and name it xboxdash.xbe. then you resign it named like that. I downloaded the blue dash and got it on my first "real" try. I used Glitch's Alien skin.

By the Way
I want to thanks bunches of people.
Mainly myself, after all I am the O'l Dirty now aint I!?!?

But more important!
ImOkRuOk for help getting the dash/ up and running
GLiTcH^ for making me realize it is worth it to skin it.
kanaberra for having such a good site!!!
Gcue
Voltac and everyone that helped him
Jesus, because this is too much like a speach
and everyone else even related to #xboxdash
OOOps
and [dc]

----
and I can throw in cantloseu for that last helper. I never ran across that prob.
----

----
There was an(other) error in the tut. Xitement pointed it out after he had trouble with it on the IRC. It said regsrv32, but it should have been regsvr32
----

Edited by Odb718, 13 April 2004 - 08:43 PM.

#7 Dwyzane

Dwyzane

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:25 PM

Why has this post NOT been pinned? Are the guys on these boards idiots. This would help out so many people, if they would just read it. Thank you Odb718!

#8 Xbox-Savage

Xbox-Savage

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • Interests:To Sleep with your mommy.

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE (Dwyzane @ Mar 19 2004, 01:25 PM)
Why has this post NOT been pinned? Are the guys on these boards idiots. This would help out so many people, if they would just read it. Thank you Odb718!

wink.gif cause theres already one pinned that also has skins on it.

#9 Xbox-Savage

Xbox-Savage

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  • Interests:To Sleep with your mommy.

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:16 PM

QUOTE (Odb718 @ Mar 14 2004, 12:30 AM)
In order to properly resign the tHcdash.xbe it needs to be named xboxdash.xbe. .

wink.gif well thats not true , i have always named it evoxdash.xbe and resigned it , and works 100% without failure , you might need to explore a bit more. ph34r.gif

#10 JbOnE

JbOnE

X-S Expert

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 19 March 2004 - 09:50 PM

yeah - Xbox-Savage is right - Voltaic did a kick ass job with WinXip - it'll resign the xbe regardless of name wink.gif

pinned biggrin.gif

#11 Odb718

Odb718

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 03:31 AM

Thanks you two. I read that the dash HAD to be named that way so thats what I did and that's why I put it in there like that. Consider it edited. wink.gif
And JbOnE stay on man! and everyone JbOnE needs to be highlited for a big thanks so everyone thank him in a pm.... and ask for the final too... he'll give it to ya lol j/k dont pm him

#12 Osanya

Osanya

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 05:01 PM

just wondering if anybody has made a tut on inserting textures into the menu (like the "adamantium" skin by aston. I've seen it done a few times and I've tried it mysef (unsuccessfully). I'm also wondering how to change the opacity when Hexbe says it's disabled. I know there's a way to make items look completely solid, but I cant figure it out.

#13 russader

russader

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Finishing school and tinkering with electronics.

Posted 11 May 2004 - 12:45 AM

Whoa! Overload! Okay, so what the heck do you have to do to use the skins from www.allxboxskins.com? I got the halo skin and it looks soo cool. It came with two files.
halo2-lite.xbp
skin.xip

Now I know what to do with the skin.xip, but what about the other? When I put them both in the thcdata folder the font colors change, the Haol background comes in, but the orb and mesh are still green? I'm using the green lite v1.2. Can someone please help in simple retard terms?

#14 Odb718

Odb718

X-S Freak

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 11:43 AM

An .xbp file is an Hexbe project.
You're skinning for Lite and this tutorial was made for the original.

All you need to do is download Hexbe from www.xboxdash.net, insert the project in it's projects folder, and patch the .xbe file you're running for lite.
After that you have to Ftp it over to your xbox and you'll see the difference.

Hope that helps some.

#15 russader

russader

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Finishing school and tinkering with electronics.

Posted 13 May 2004 - 05:46 PM

You are awsome. Thank you soo much. I wish www.allxboxskins would say this somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users