5 replies to this topic

#1 Cao_Zhou

Cao_Zhou

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 07:33 PM

Hi there!

I recently acquired my XBox Live Starter Kit and promptly installed it on my unmodded XBox. However, I've had no luck whatsoever configuring it to work with my existing LAN setup and I'm posting this here asking for the help of any LAN expert around here smile.gif

Here goes, my LAN setup includes two internet connections. An ADSL connection which I use mostly for work and heavy downloading and my cable connection which I use for gaming. For reasons unknown to me, XBox Live is very hard to get working with my ADSL provider, as I've been told by some of my colleagues. For all intents and purposes, I need to use Live through my cable connection.
The issue is...
My ADSL connection is working through a router, which has DHCP enabled. My cable connection is provided by a cable modem with an ethernet connection to one of my PCs, that then using WinGate 5.0 software serves it up to other pcs on my LAN. Basically, the WinGate setup is quite simple and only requires me to change my Local Area Network configs on a selected pc, changing the IP gateway to 192.168.1.45 (the pc with the cable connection) and changing the primary DNS server to that same value. As it is, configuring my XBox to these same values doesn't work. The diagnostics for Live show everything working properly, including IPs, DNS resolved, but "XBox Live not found". Going through almost every FAQ (they are useless basically) of Live's official site, I saw the ports that needed to be open for Live to work. Wingate 5.0 is a rather confusing piece of software but I managed to find those configs for its firewall and managed to open such ports. However, the same problem persists.
Connecting my cable modem directly to the XBox works, however, I need that connection shared for my other gaming PCs. Also, I need my ADSL connection to be working with DHCP, so I need Wingate to proxy for me.

Any ideas or additional information needed so I can get any help?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards! beerchug.gif

(Edited at 23:24 - 14-March)

Ok, some more info on this...

These are the logs from wingate for the attempts my XBox is making to reach Live:

Date ; Computer ; IP Address ; Activity
---------------------------------------------
14-Mar 23:08:19 ; 192.168.1.38 ; 192.168.1.38 ; NAT: UDP 192.168.1.38:1257 <-> 207.46.247.6:88
14-Mar 23:08:04 ; 192.168.1.38 ; 192.168.1.38 ; NAT: UDP 192.168.1.38:1256 <-> 212.113.161.227:53
14-Mar 23:07:30 ; 192.168.1.38 ; 192.168.1.38 ; DNS: lookup "AS.XBOXLIVE.COM."

And here is the firewall report (Wingate's own firewall):

14-Mar 23:07:35 - The Firewall has blocked a connection attempt made to 81.84.205.33:41638 from 207.46.246.6:3074, protocol: UDP.
14-Mar 23:09:17 - The Firewall has blocked a connection attempt made to 81.84.205.33:4826 from 69.28.242.75:80, protocol: TCP. TCP flags: RST
14-Mar 23:09:17 - The Firewall has blocked a connection attempt made to 81.84.205.33:4827 from 69.28.242.75:80, protocol: TCP. TCP flags: RST
14-Mar 23:09:18 - The Firewall has blocked a connection attempt made to 81.84.205.33:4828 from 69.28.242.75:80, protocol: TCP. TCP flags: RST
14-Mar 23:09:18 - The Firewall has blocked a connection attempt made to 81.84.205.33:4829 from 69.28.242.75:80, protocol: TCP. TCP flags: RST

I'm perfectly aware that some of these blocked addresses and ports may not be related to Live... however, I did shut down everything that was using my net connection so this could be as accurate as possible. Now, that first blocked address mentions a port 3074 UDP. That port is open on my side, in case you're wondering, the ports needed are all open.

On the weird side, shutting down wingate's firewall accomplishes nothing... XBox Live not found.

On the even weirder side, there was a post here that mentioned opening port 89 UDP. That port wasn't open on wingate's firewall, so I did open it. Not expecting anything new, the diagnostic connected to XBox Live... Feeling amazed, I tried to go to the main menu and connect to my account... "XBox Live not found"... Ran the diagnostics again, same settings, nothing changed... and "XBox Live not found". WTF is going on? blink.gif damn...

Any help? PLZ

Best regards!

Edited by Cao_Zhou, 14 March 2004 - 09:29 PM.

#2 Cao_Zhou

Cao_Zhou

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 05:27 PM

Come on, no ideas? sad.gif

I ran out of them... any help u can give would be tremendously appreciated!

beerchug.gif

#3 lowsodium

lowsodium

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 March 2004 - 01:00 AM

Why bother with the headaches, when for around $50, you can buy another router that is going to be more robust with NAT/SPI and handle the packets more efficiently then your PC proxying them.

but if you must keep your currrent setup, I would definately try using an external DNS address instead of your PC IP (how can your PC be a DNS server? Is it running DNS Server? Wingate doesn't put a copy of named.root for your lan traffic direction, so unless something in wingate says forward all DNS requests from 192.168.1.45 to an external DNS server, then how are you going to resolve AS.XBOXLive.com?

Edited by lowsodium, 17 March 2004 - 01:15 AM.

#4 Cao_Zhou

Cao_Zhou

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE (lowsodium @ Mar 17 2004, 03:00 AM)
Why bother with the headaches, when for around $50, you can buy another router that is going to be more robust with NAT/SPI and handle the packets more efficiently then your PC proxying them.

but if you must keep your currrent setup, I would definately try using an external DNS address instead of your PC IP (how can your PC be a DNS server? Is it running DNS Server? Wingate doesn't put a copy of named.root for your lan traffic direction, so unless something in wingate says forward all DNS requests from 192.168.1.45 to an external DNS server, then how are you going to resolve AS.XBOXLive.com?

Thanks for replying. smile.gif

The only thing I need to keep in my current LAN settings is my ADSL connection with DHCP on its router. But I also want my cable connection, which is on one of my pcs shared to every pc I chose in the LAN. Wingate accomplishes this wonderfuly, but I have little knowledge of its features and it's kinda tricky to configure. You mentioned spending $50 in another router. My cable connection is based on a pc, and shared by wingate on that same machine. How could a router be used in my situation?

If you could tell me any good solution to my problem, no matter the cost, I'd be in your debt.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards! beerchug.gif

#5 lowsodium

lowsodium

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 17 March 2004 - 03:46 PM

http://www.netgear.c...afefirewall.php

the cable modem connection has a cable modem. you just buy a router like in the above link and plug the cable modem into the router. than plug all your pc's and XBOX into the router. Easy as hell...costs about $50-$150 (depending on if you want a wireless router or just a basic wired one).

Edited by lowsodium, 17 March 2004 - 03:59 PM.

#6 Cao_Zhou

Cao_Zhou

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (lowsodium @ Mar 17 2004, 05:46 PM)
http://www.netgear.c...afefirewall.php

the cable modem connection has a cable modem. you just buy a router like in the above link and plug the cable modem into the router. than plug all your pc's and XBOX into the router. Easy as hell...costs about $50-$150 (depending on if you want a wireless router or just a basic wired one).

Let me just clear out some things, my LAN has my ADSL router w/ DHCP enabled. So, my PCs that I intend to use with ADSL go through 192.168.1.1 (router's IP).

If I were to buy a cable router like the one you mentioned, I'd have to install it with DHCP disabled so my LAN setup would be basically the same. So if I had it set up with a fixed IP, could I manually configure the PCs that I intend to have cable connection on to follow that fixed IP as a gateway? If that's possible, it would solve my problem, I think. Is it possible to have two routers set up this way and not have a conflict?

Best regards, thanks a bunch! beerchug.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users