7 replies to this topic

#1 Don_S

Don_S

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 05:18 PM

I apologize in advance if this question has been asked before and/or if it is a stupid, dumb question. I did do a search on this site and did not find a satisfactory answer. Hence the question.

I've read that software programs like Craxtion, DVD2Xbox etc. patch the .xbe or .iso so that the media check flag problem is circumvented. If I burn a backup of a game on DVD or CDRW, and if these programs do remove the media check flags, then the backup game should run on the XBox with the modchip turned off or on an unmodded XBox, right? In practice though, this does not happen. With the modchip turned off, the game will not load (I get an error message that a non-XBox game or DVD is in the drive and that I should try again after replacing the disk or something to that effect). Can anyone explain this to me? uhh.gif

#2 sCoTxXx

sCoTxXx

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 05:45 PM

You have to have your mod chip turned on to play your backups. It has to boot the evox dash not the m$ dash. You cant play backups in and unmodded xbox.

#3 Don_S

Don_S

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (sCoTxXx @ Mar 16 2004, 07:45 PM)
You have to have your mod chip turned on to play your backups.

I know that you have to turn the modchip on to play the backups (in fact, in my message I did say that I can play the backup with the modchip on but not with it off). What I was looking for was an explanation for why this is so, if programs like Craxtion remove the media check flags (or circumvent it). If I understand it right, removing the media check flags (or patching it to look like the original) should allow the MS dash to load the game. Maybe I'm stupid, but I don't get it. Thanks for your reply, anyway.

#4 duudfromnorway

duudfromnorway

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 March 2004 - 06:37 PM

cause when your chip is off you use the orginal bios (msxboxdash), which would not read an unsigned code, when you turn on your chip, the chip tricks the xbox to read it anyway.

#5 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 March 2004 - 06:39 PM

The media check flags have little to do with what the modchip does to get the games to play. A backed up game is not signed/encrypted, and without a modchip, the XBOX won't play a non-encrypted game. The media checks have nothing to do with any of that. mad.gif

#6 duudfromnorway

duudfromnorway

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 March 2004 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (Mr Ed @ Mar 16 2004, 09:39 PM)
The media check flags have little to do with what the modchip does to get the games to play. A backed up game is not signed/encrypted, and without a modchip, the XBOX won't play a non-encrypted game. The media checks have nothing to do with any of that. mad.gif

why the angry face blink.gif ?

#7 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Hacking Horse

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,588 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 March 2004 - 02:45 AM

Cause it's a stupid question he should have been able to answer by reading on his own.

This isn't the noobie forum. grr.gif

#8 Don_S

Don_S

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 10:42 AM

QUOTE (Mr Ed @ Mar 17 2004, 04:45 AM)
Cause it's a stupid question he should have been able to answer by reading on his own.

This isn't the noobie forum. grr.gif

I *DID* try to obtain the answer on my own. If you read my post in its entirety, that should have been clear. mad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users