• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Psydrainer

Psydrainer

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 02:10 AM

Halo is facing off against Quake in the current round for game of all time on gamespy, go and vote if you love halo! http://www.gamespy.c...ches/0213.shtml

#2 thrashev

thrashev

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 02:26 AM

I voted for Quake.

I like Halo, but what Quake (and more importantly what QuakeWorld) did for online gaming and mods is incredible. Halo honestly doesn't hold a candle to Quake in my opinion.

#3 wassco

wassco

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 March 2004 - 02:45 AM

quake garaunteed, halo is a mere smudge on the map compared to the total UNIVERSE which quake has spawned!

#4 GIR6K

GIR6K

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Interests:I like xbox, the greatest console right now. I also favor computers, and music, and art.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 18 March 2004 - 04:32 AM

gamespy is crap and knows nothing.

#5 maxgeek

maxgeek

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 18 March 2004 - 06:48 AM

I remember quake and all the mod goodness. My fav mod was da bomb quake on heat.net. Good times.

#6 jokk

jokk

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 07:26 AM

D:\games\quake 7256 Mo (7608467456 octets)
hahah tongue.gif

#7 Dunny

Dunny

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 09:49 AM

went for Halo, not much of a quake fan. Half Life still betters both though wink.gif

#8 falser

falser

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 01:03 PM

Anyone who votes for Halo really doesn't understand how far advanced the original Quake was at the time of it's release. Ever hear of GLQuake? Yes - it was the first real OpenGL 3D accelerated game for the PC. Halo is merely a 3D shooter for the Xbox. Nuff said.

Edited by falser, 18 March 2004 - 01:07 PM.

#9 UnLckyN

UnLckyN

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 01:49 PM

I voted for quake.

I still play quake alot more than i play halo tongue.gif

#10 erikman

erikman

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 02:40 PM

Quake will win, even though the game is crap. For some reason the computer geeks all over the world just love Quake, Doom and other crappy games.

#11 estin

estin

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 08:43 PM

if its Halo vs. the original quake i choose halo. but halo against quake III i choose quake III no contest. first quake wasn't very exciting to me.

Edited by estin, 18 March 2004 - 08:48 PM.

#12 Dunny

Dunny

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (falser @ Mar 18 2004, 03:03 PM)
Anyone who votes for Halo really doesn't understand how far advanced the original Quake was at the time of it's release. Ever hear of GLQuake? Yes - it was the first real OpenGL 3D accelerated game for the PC. Halo is merely a 3D shooter for the Xbox. Nuff said.

who cares how advanced it was then? Time passes and things get dated and bettered! wink.gif

#13 AnThRaX

AnThRaX

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,626 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 18 March 2004 - 08:57 PM

meh. Quake better up'ed shooter games. It preety much revolutionized the gaming industry and probably without it you wouldn't have Halo.

But, now Halo has revolutionized gaming as we speak. Every newer shooter game for the xbox/ps2/Gc has been compared to Halo. Halo changed the lifes of everyone. Quake was merely for computer freaks at the time. At that time only about 5% of the world had computers so it wasn't as popular. But, to harcore pc gamers it was alot. With mods, opengl, etc.. Now, halo on the other hand. It converted Ps2/Gc/DC lovers to a revolutionary system "XBOX". Xbox wouldn't be so succesful without halo. I actually voted both. Voted for Quake at school. and halo at home. Both companys deserve it!

#14 estin

estin

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 10:03 PM

i checked out the link, i gues the contest is over? the numbers look like halo won......did i miss read?

#15 falser

falser

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 March 2004 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE (AnThRaX @ Mar 18 2004, 10:57 PM)
But, now Halo has revolutionized gaming as we speak. Every newer shooter game for the xbox/ps2/Gc has been compared to Halo. Halo changed the lifes of everyone.

I think that's really stretching it. Halo is a good shooter for the Xbox - that is it's only unique quality. Good 3D shooters have been done before (Halflife), good sci-fi has been done before (Halflife), technical advancement has been done before (Doom/Quake), great vehicle driving (BF1942).... list goes on and on. Halo isn't exceptional in any category and is quite weak in many others like poor storyline, non-continuous play (level loading), no big bosses to fight, poor controls (no mouse), walking and driving is painfully slow (to make the poor controls useable), no ragdoll physics, annoying and limited types of enemies, no game strategy, linear gameplay, and worst of all it has very repetitive levels. It was a very underwelming game for anyone coming from PC first person shooters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users