22 replies to this topic

#1 VBox

VBox

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 02:23 PM

Here's an idea that I came up with. First go to Liksang and purchase one of these external fan add ons for $12.90
http://www.lik-sang....oducts_id=1944
What this does is give you enough room to add a second Hard Drive and also have them fully enclosed. What needs to be done, is to get rid of all the internal parts of the external fan and to cut out and throw away the wall from the right side of the Xbox.
Here is a photo of 2 hard drives placed side ways on top of my Xbox just to see how they would fit before cutting.
http://www.xb-t.com/...p?image_id=1417
Another photo of my box with the external fan add on. This is what it should look like when the project is complete (the same as it does now).
http://www.xb-t.com/...p?image_id=1416

I haven't started cutting anything yet but I will soon. I just wanted to share my idea for now.

Edited by VBox, 19 March 2004 - 03:38 PM.

#2 hirme

hirme

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Interests:dehhh xbox modding:D
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 19 March 2004 - 02:29 PM

prefer mine...
simply buy a normal hard drive enclosure and paint it

Edited by hirme, 19 March 2004 - 02:30 PM.

#3 VBox

VBox

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 02:34 PM

I guess that would be the absolute easiest way but I know a lot of people want it to be fully enclosed and look nice. (not saying that yours doesn't look nice, I haven’t seen it)

How much are those normal hard drive enclosures anyway?

Edited by VBox, 19 March 2004 - 02:35 PM.

#4 hirme

hirme

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 02:53 PM

I've seen some for 10-12US$
http://www.freewebs.com/hirme/

scroll down and you will see my enclosure

#5 hirme

hirme

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 02:53 PM

sorry for this double post grr.gif

Edited by hirme, 19 March 2004 - 02:54 PM.

#6 Spliff_Star

Spliff_Star

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 02:59 PM

I think that looks pretty slick. It does make your Xbox kinda lopsided (?spelling?) but I've seen far worse.

I notice that there are some buttons on the front of the extra fan housing, did you wire the HD switch to them or do you have a switch somewhere else?

#7 VBox

VBox

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:00 PM

That's one nice set-up, looks very good. That gives me an idea, to see if I can fit a removeable hard drive case sideways and still have my original HD all in one slightly extended xbox.

#8 VBox

VBox

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (Spliff_Star @ Mar 19 2004, 04:59 PM)
I think that looks pretty slick. It does make your Xbox kinda lopsided (?spelling?) but I've seen far worse.

I notice that there are some buttons on the front of the extra fan housing, did you wire the HD switch to them or do you have a switch somewhere else?

No, I haven't started the project yet. I just placed the 2 hard drives on top to see if they would fit sideways thanks to the added room from the new fan box. When completed it should look like a normal Xbox with a external fan. All I'm trying to say is that there are some new possibilities for modding if you have more room in side you xbox and that 2 hard dives will fit fine inside thanks to the extra room. And most importantly it will look nice and clean.

Edited by VBox, 19 March 2004 - 03:13 PM.

#9 bleugh

bleugh

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts
  • Interests:tinkering..........and flogging stuff on ebay<br>
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 20 March 2004 - 08:52 AM

why not just bung a few laptop HDD's in there,

a mod fo rth e money is no object person methinks :-)

#10 Palmore

Palmore

ProjectDeck.Xbox-Scene.Com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 March 2004 - 10:01 AM

Don't ruin that pimp Dragoon box ohmy.gif

And FYI, you can fit 4 hard drives inside the case with out adding the fan enclosure wink.gif

#11 Ebay.God

Ebay.God

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 20 March 2004 - 10:23 AM

no palmor, YOU can, because your one crazy sob! lol And those side fans dont help cooling at all, you will see when your done rolleyes.gif

#12 TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 20 March 2004 - 10:51 AM

If that's the real Dragoon I'm with palmore, I love those ones, don't ruin that baby, buy another for 150 bucks (cheap now i may buy a third, for modding) and play with that one

#13 Palmore

Palmore

ProjectDeck.Xbox-Scene.Com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 March 2004 - 03:47 PM

Heck you don't even have to spend $150 on a new box to not ruin that case, spend $10-$20 on Llamma.com and buy an empty case. Cut the stock one to heck, and save the pimp one! =)

#14 koyoutou

koyoutou

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 05:42 PM

i dont think that's a "real" panzer special edition.
it should be all white no?
and the patterns on that one looks like it's by hand...

#15 Casper1786

Casper1786

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 March 2004 - 06:10 PM

What about Adding 2 or 3 Smaller Fans inside the Box? 2 on the Left side under the DVD, an maybe 1 where the Old Fan Was, but Lesson the Hight Drop needed 2 fit the Second HDD. I wanna see how this Go's, if u try this method or try the internal fan method, check the HDD Temp, CPU Temp an any other Temps avail before u do it, and after you do it, then compair the temps, see what temps are after being on for 10 mins, then next turn it off for 20 mins 2 cool down, but boot up with a Game in an Play 20 mins an then go back an check temps in the menu, if ur stuff gets warmer post the results, removing the Fan will make u wonder an question temps, also like said, don't hack up this Case, buy another 1 2 Test with on this, also Gives u the Option 2 Paint another Case if ya Like! but post results please, I wanna get 2 HDDs in my XBOX without moving the DVD Drive like the dude up there with 4HDDs, an also keep the Stock Drive in the Machine, just lookin for a Pro Setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users