Photo

X2lite Installation Problems - Alternate D0.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Imran_the_Binman

Imran_the_Binman

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 December 2002 - 06:18 PM

OK. I'm feeling really pissed off today, as I think I may have messed up my xbox.

Received an X2Lite the other day, and finally plucked up the courage to install it, with a friend who has more soldering experience than I do.

We thought we'd done ok, using the alternate d0 point on the back of the board (top one is ridiculous!)

On booting, we got the (what I now know to be) familiar power x2 punctuated with beeps and the the green/red flashing LED. Bugger.

So, we decided to check solder points. All looked OK, but the same happened on power up next time.

We removed the chip completely (unplugged it and removed the d0), booted and everything was fine, played on it for a bit to test and all was OK. So no problems there. Back to square 1.

Tried again to install chip. For results, see above. Damn.

Upon removing the chip for a second time (but leaving the pin header soldered in), we may have accidentally, and much to our horror, removed the alternate d0 solder point. Now when we boot, it's as if the chip is still connected and we get the flashing green/red lights. Is it possible to drop a bit of solder into the gap where the connection point was? The traces seem ok, but I've a feeling that it's because these are not connecting to the point that this is happening.

So, what I want to know is:
1. Have I completely messed up my xbox?
2. What can I do to sort this out?
3. Can I use the top d0 point still?

Any help with this is greatly, greatly appreciated.

I live in Essex in England, and if anyone is within a 100 mile radius, and is happy for me to come out to theirs for repair/mod install, I would be extremely grateful. Also, any links to online help would be great. (Have checked xgen-mods.com already though)

I hope someone can help me with this, as it's really got me down.

If you take the time to reply, thank you.

Thanks in anticipation of response.

Steve.

#2 limbfilter

limbfilter

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 20 December 2002 - 06:33 PM

I've heard you can just use the top point if you messed up the bottom one. Did you set the jumper on the xecuter for your version of xbox?

#3 MotoX

MotoX

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 06:36 PM

Not sure if this will help, but soldering the top location may fix the lower connection. Use a short 2" 30 gauge wire. Strip off 1/4", and dip it in flux. Then insert it in the hole on the motherboard. Then put a SMALL amount of solder on the tip of the iron and touch it to the wire. The flux will draw the solder down to the hole and it will fuse to the mb.

MotoX

#4 Imran_the_Binman

Imran_the_Binman

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 06:48 PM

That's a bit of a relief if I really can use the top point. Thanks for giving me a bit hope!!

As for the jumper, I haven't removed anything, as instructed on the fourth picture at http://www.xecuter2.com/inst.htm for v1.1 xbox's, such as mine.

Am I right (and please, nobody flame me!) in thinking that the three little black plastic blocks (technical term wink.gif on the side on the chip are the jumpers? If this is the case, does this mean I have to remove the top one as per the diagram? And if this is the case, how do I do this?

Thanks,

Steve.

#5 Imran_the_Binman

Imran_the_Binman

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 06:54 PM

MotoX,

If that works - and it sounds plausible enough to do just that - then thank you very much.

I'll try it over the weekend, and let you know. Nice one.

Steve.

#6 limbfilter

limbfilter

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 20 December 2002 - 07:14 PM

yep I thought so...you need to remove that jumper as per the page you linked...Yes it's those little blocks and they come right off. Hope you get it to work biggrin.gif

#7 Al_Ghazi

Al_Ghazi

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 07:17 PM

It is afterall just electronics, not rocket science. I lifted a trace on my board and managed to jumper it with some wire I had laying around.

I am near Royston HERTS/ESSEX/CAMBS border. if you want me to, I will look at it.

Gaz

#8 Imran_the_Binman

Imran_the_Binman

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 07:32 PM

Cheers Gaz. Fair point, too.

I'll have another look at it over the weekend, but if I can't get it fixed between now and new year, I might take you up on that offer. How do I get in touch with you if need be?

Cheers also to everyone who's posted here so far, keep 'em coming. It's all helpful.

-Steve.

#9 rjm2k

rjm2k

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE (Imran_the_Binman @ Dec 20 2002, 06:32 PM)
Cheers Gaz. Fair point, too.

I'll have another look at it over the weekend, but if I can't get it fixed between now and new year, I might take you up on that offer. How do I get in touch with you if need be?

Cheers also to everyone who's posted here so far, keep 'em coming. It's all helpful.

-Steve.

I would advise against using the top point, the bottom one is easy enough to repair, simply scratch the plastic coating off aither side of the break using a pin and then solder a piece of tinned wire to close the gap - don't worry about using a single strand of wire, as long as the surrouding traces are still covered in plastic a large blob of solder on normal wire will work fine and not short anything. I posted a thread with more details of how i repaired mine, you should be able to find it with search. Take your time and you will fix it.

#10 AK_Sniper

AK_Sniper

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 09:40 PM

Glad to hear I was not the only one with this problem. dry.gif

I myself installed my x2 lite, I chose the alternate d0 as I did not wanna attempt the tiny d0. Everything was succesful, when i was putting the board in, the wire accidently got caught and ripped off my alternate d0 point. I thought I had messed my xbox, so I resoldered onto the trace but that didnt work. I made sure to check my LPC points since I thought that could of been the problem according to some posts. So I resoldered all LPC points back making sure to put the wire *through* the hole in the LPC points. I tried again, still the same problem. Then I noticed my bottom trace fix wasnt done properly. So i removed the wire from there, scratch off the green of both end of trace and touched em both with a little bit of solder and joined em both. Now it was fixed.

So I decided to then use my top d0 no to disturbed my fix. I cut open one of the tiny wires inside of a cheap cat 5 cable. And it was tiny stranded wire so I dipped a little piece in flux, inserted it in the hole and trimmed it. I then put a *little* solder on my iron and touched the end. Now i had a better point to solder on too without lifting my trace. So I connected my d0 there with ease and no problem, I put everything back and then...IT WORKED!

Hope you get through it. Remember, Take your time!!

That was my story. smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users