10 replies to this topic

#1 zoombee

zoombee

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 03:05 AM

Hi Guys,

Sorry i'm new here...have done some search but cannot seem to find the revelant answer to my queries here..hope everyone can help..

My TV does not have S-video so advance AV pack will not work for my setup.

But i was trying to find out is there any other way out to get a 5.1 dolby surround for my xbox games other than advance AV pack itself. My TV only support the standard RCA jack and i have a sony home theater that is dolby & dts built-in however there is no optical jack in my home theater

#2 fin1581

fin1581

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 23 March 2004 - 03:47 AM

They sell converters at Radioshack that change any coaxial to optical and vice versa.

#3 ET-Perth

ET-Perth

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 03:48 AM

Hi, i m pretty new too, but i managed to mod my xbox to have digital sound enabled last night.

check out the hardware modding section under tutorial, here's the link:
http://www.xbox-scen...ital-output.php

It will show u what to do, quite simple, the soldering is the hardest part. make sure u get thin wires, i was using some thick wires (0.25mm) thinking that would give me better quality sound, and took me a good 2 hrs to get it bonded (the bond kept breaking), so I bought some thin ones (0.12mm)and will re-solder them tonight.

i only did coaxial as it's simpler and cheaper. drilled a hole at the back of my xbox and it looks sweet, will post a pic tomorrow.

but if u dun want to drill your xbox, you can try the other guides.

#4 ET-Perth

ET-Perth

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 03:50 AM

sorry, did not read all of your msg.

Did u say your home entertainmt system does not have optical jack? does it have coaxial? if so, that would be fine, if it doesnt, you may have to buy another H.E system.

#5 fin1581

fin1581

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 23 March 2004 - 03:58 AM

QUOTE (ET-Perth @ Mar 23 2004, 05:50 AM)

Did u say your home entertainmt system does not have optical jack? does it have coaxial? if so, that would be fine, if it doesnt, you may have to buy another H.E system.

How else would he get the Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound if he didn't have either a coaxial or optical input? He obviously has one or more coaxial ins.

Edited by fin1581, 23 March 2004 - 03:58 AM.

#6 zoombee

zoombee

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE (ET-Perth @ Mar 23 2004, 05:50 AM)

sorry yup my HT does have coaxial

#7 ET-Perth

ET-Perth

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 05:58 AM

alrite, in that case, if you do not want to get the advance a/v pack, the only way is to mod the machine yourself.

smile.gif

#8 arallsopp

arallsopp

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 09:27 AM

QUOTE (fin1581 @ Mar 23 2004, 05:58 AM)
How else would he get the Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound if he didn't have either a coaxial or optical input? He obviously has one or more coaxial ins.

Why?

The HT rig could be an all in one box solution without inputs, or could be a 6 channel amp fed via phonos from an external decoder.

My prior rig was a Pioneer636 player with an onboard decoder feeding an ageing 6 channel yammy amp via phonos, and I assure you that DTS was quite splendid.

There were no coax or optical ins on the back.

#9 zoombee

zoombee

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (ET-Perth @ Mar 23 2004, 07:58 AM)
alrite, in that case, if you do not want to get the advance a/v pack, the only way is to mod the machine yourself.

smile.gif

well...its not that i'm not going for the advance av pack..its just that my tv doesn't have s-video so it can't work unless the advance av pack support coaxial for video as well

#10 ET-Perth

ET-Perth

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 11:51 PM

Hi again

u dun have to buy the advance pack, just click on the link i gave u earlier and do some hardware mod on your xbox and you can still use the a/v cable that comes with the xbox, plus you will also have a coaxial digital out at the back of your xbox.

I took some pics but do not know how to post it, but they look similar to the one shown in the tutorial.

#11 El Pollo Diablo

El Pollo Diablo

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 03:23 AM

well...its not that i'm not going for the advance av pack..its just that my tv doesn't have s-video so it can't work unless the advance av pack support coaxial for video as well

To answer your question the Advanced pack does output a composite signal as well as the S-video, so theres no problem hooking it up to your tv. It only outputs optical for the digital sound though. If you dont want to open your xbox it is possible to install an RCA jack in the Advanced pack that will output coax digital. Theres a tut on doing that somewhere around here.

Edited by El Pollo Diablo, 24 March 2004 - 03:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users