12 replies to this topic

#1 Joeblog60

Joeblog60

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 06:49 AM

About how much does it run to buy everything required for modding except the screwdrivers and the xbox?

#2 sneakydave

sneakydave

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 March 2004 - 06:59 AM

Depends on how ya do it... I spent about 35 doing mine, but all I had to buy was a AR and a used copy of MechAssult, then I bridged the points on my MB and did a TSOP flash...
(Had I not had ANYTHING other than the box and the proper screw drivers, I'd have spent 65 or 70 doing it, but that's a soldering iron, solder, an AR, a MS mem card, and MechAssult...)
(I opted to do mine a bit oddly tho I suppose, I didn't know anyone with a modded box, so I needed the AR to get the save to a mem card, and I needed a MS mem card cause the AR mem card sucked, I had to buy MechAssult since none of my friends owned a copy of it... So, if you know friends with all that junk already, then you can do it way on the cheap if you're crafty)

#3 hovispresley

hovispresley

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 08:24 AM

It cost me about 40 for the chip and all the solder etc, and about 60 on a phat harddrive.
You can use the harddrive again when you are finished or when xboxes become outdated
Well worth it if you ask me , not just for back up stuff but also for playing emus,dvix etc etc

#4 Joeblog60

Joeblog60

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 08:39 AM

Hmm... What if you went with one of the non-solder chips? I don't know if I could trust myself with fine melting... even if I could find a kit

#5 Village Drunk

Village Drunk

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 08:51 AM

With 3 day shipping w/ Fedex to California, my Executer 2.3 B lite+ chip (solderless) was $60 bucks. That modchip is super-easy to install. I got it from system-mods.com. wink.gif If you go to the Executer forum you'll be able to find a step-by-step installation guide. smile.gif

#6 001438

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 09:14 AM

$0.00

No Mod Chip Mod!!

#7 Intensecure

Intensecure

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 25 March 2004 - 10:05 AM

Depends if you want to save money or spend money! ohmy.gif
If you don't want to solder your choices are simple and proper research will save you money in the end.
Better, if you really don't know your stuff, to find and installer, pay a few quid and get a really sorted box. Get a cheaper chip such as an Aladdin which are great IMHO, and keep it simple. The new generation of modchips are overkill, I think.
Best investment - BIG hard drive laugh.gif

#8 Xtrem

Xtrem

The Next Level

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,670 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 March 2004 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE (Joeblog60 @ Mar 25 2004, 03:49 AM)
About how much does it run to buy everything required for modding except the screwdrivers and the xbox?

It Depends If You Whant To Mod It Or Someone To Mod It For You.

#9 chefelf

chefelf

Brandishing the Triforce of Modding

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,407 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Web Design, Writing, Cycling, Hardware Modification, Building Computers, Music
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 March 2004 - 12:24 PM

Depends on a lot of variables. If you're looking for a solderless chip they (as you say you are) then most of them tend to be a litle more than $50. So I'd expect to spend $50 to $60 with shipping. If you have the screwdrivers then that should do it. Depending on the chip you may need a blank CD/DVD to make a BIOS CD unless the chip is programmable.

#10 Comcipher

Comcipher

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 01:01 PM

Yeah, if you go solderless your going to spend more on the chip, but you don't have to buy any soldering equipment. I think soldered chips are better b/c they tend to stay put no matter what you do to your box, whereas solderless can come loose over time. It also dpends if you pay someone to do it for you. Some places have really reasonable prices that end up being about the same as if you were to go buy all the equipment yoruself to do it. Check out my site for my prices if you are looking for an installer, but I gaurentee that the equipment is well worth the cost for the ammount of use you can get out of it modding stuff.

#11 Joeblog60

Joeblog60

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 11:11 PM

Cool, thanks a lot.

Oh, and normal harddrives work in the xbox right?

Edited by Joeblog60, 25 March 2004 - 11:14 PM.

#12 Comcipher

Comcipher

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 08:30 PM

Sure do.

#13 lookformeb

lookformeb

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 March 2004 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE (Joeblog60 @ Mar 25 2004, 07:11 PM)
Cool, thanks a lot.

Oh, and normal harddrives work in the xbox right?

For the most part. Check the lockability list in the General Hordware forums (pinned).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users