• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zerocamber

zerocamber

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 06:59 PM

I have an original xbox version 1.0 that is not moded in anyway. As you can guess the darn Thompson drive is taking a dive and i'd like to replace it. I see you can buy a moded Samsung SD-616T DVD ROM drive on ebay for 115 is this worth it? Can i do it or do i have to have a moded xbox first?

thanks,
Zerocamber

#2 bucd

bucd

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 March 2004 - 07:05 PM

I say that you should look at the buy/sell/trade forum on here first. You should be able to find some replacements drive for a better price.

I don't know about the 616t, but i've seen them go for about $80-$110 on here.

I say go post up a wtb thread first to see what people have to sell. Or get the stock samsung drive, i think there are some for sale now for around $70-$100

Maybe even cheaper since the xbox is comming down in price in about a couple of weeks.

-D

#3 dewmonger

dewmonger

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 10:33 PM

You can replace your old DVD with the pre-modified Samsung 616t without needing to put in a modchip or any other electrical mod. But since the 616t is not the exact dimensions of the stock DVD drives, you will need to do some physical mods involving cutting of the plastic casing in order to get it to fit properly. The tutorials will show you how and it should take less than 1/2 hour to do. It is pretty easy.

#4 Anushian

Anushian

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 25 March 2004 - 11:34 PM

or replace the laser unit with a new one if u dont care for cdr support and such from a Samsung. save 70-90 bucks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users