Arius

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 26 March 2004 - 07:57 AM

This is M$'s new way of making games, it sounds like a superb idea and mentions xbox rather than "xbox 2" so it appears this is being made for xbox.

if this takes off it could mean whole new level for making games.

anyways here is the info

http://www.MS.com/xna/

The XNA development platform will serve as the foundation for future game platforms from MS, including Windows, Xbox and Windows Mobile-based devices.

#2 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 26 March 2004 - 12:34 PM

Well, what I think it really means is that M$ unified DirectX support with a framework and some higher-level rendering engines into a cross-platform system.

Overall, not MUCH of a change, but I imagine it means you'll be able to port between platforms without touching a line of code (just recompile to the new platform).

The Xbox XDK uses DirectX, but it's not a transparent port between Windows and Xbox. The missing pieces lay in the framework and what's possible in the APIs. M$ did something similar with WindowsCE AutoPC support - they brought back the GUI APIs and MFC into CE, making it easier to port apps.

Overall think of this as DirectX 10+. It will be a real winner if it incorporates a decent 3-D engine like Lithtech's.

#3 P_v

P_v

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 02:19 PM

If you're interested, LESTAT and I have been discussing it here: Programmers Thoughts The Ign Interview, what do you guys think

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users