CamaroGuy

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 March 2004 - 04:34 PM

actually at highway speeds the spoiler's help a little but you won't see all the benifits till you hit 100+ MPH's.

#17 nemt

nemt

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 30 March 2004 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE (CamaroGuy @ Mar 30 2004, 01:34 PM)
actually at highway speeds the spoiler's help a little but you won't see all the benifits till you hit 100+ MPH's.

Yeah...if the car is RWD or 4WD...

#18 Liquid Oxygen

Liquid Oxygen

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 04:39 PM

Any japanese car can be riced out correctly if you have the time and effort to do it right.

Within the import modification market, some people like the double tier wings, some people don't. Some like loud mufflers, some don't. Some like neons, others don't. You see where I'm going with this? It's what makes people individuals, why should everyone like what you "think" is cool? Don't be hatin! dry.gif

#19 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 07:21 PM

Rice is a realy hard thing to define. If you simply let it be any mod that doesn't help the cars performance then many of us are guilty. I'm sure my power leather seats do nothing more then add weight to my car. Name a body kit that increases a car's HP. Do your rims weigh more or less then the stock ones?
If you modify the definition to simply be tasteless mods, whose taste? I've seen several mods I haet that seem to sell quite well. I think LED washer nozzles are ugly as sin. But a lot of people have them. Whose to say I'm right and they're wrong?
I like to think of rice as more of an attitude. There another Probe owner around here that has a 97 PGT. It's neon green, has a huge aluminum wing, loyud exhaust, and it looks like a paint bomb went off under the hood. (Everything is brightly colored.) He pulled up to me at a gas station and was bad mouthing my car and explained to me all the "performance" mods he had. I think his muffler was the best. I popped my hood and showed him my KLZE Mazda MX6 engine. (For those who care, same block, higher compression ratio, better flowing heads, better flowing IM, more agressive cams) He looked at me and said, "Mazdas stuff is gay. You need a Ford engine like mine to be fast." (All Probe engines are made by Mazda. The ones that end up in Ford cars have different VCs stamped witht eh Ford logo) So basically the kid has no real performance mods, knows nothing about his car, and is trying to act cool and impress me. My friend Nate and I laughed and walked away.

As for wings on FWD cars they do help stabilize it. And add a lot in cornering. If you don't believe me find a VW Corrado. The wing on it pops up @ 45mph. But there's a switch to keep it down. Take a run up to 100mph with the wing coming up, and then repeated leaving it down. If you say you didn't notice a difference you are a liar smile.gif

#20 Liquid Oxygen

Liquid Oxygen

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 09:44 PM

^ If you have only mods that are appearance wise then it's rice. If you have mods that are appearance wise but also stuff under the hood then you are not rice (slapping a cold air intake doesn't count...) It's pretty simple to define.

My friend is a perfect example with his 95 Cavy. At first he started with the neons, lowering it, the aluminum wing and such. His car was rice. Then he dropped in close to 3 grand in his engine. His car aint rice no more even though on the exterior it still looks like it. But when he revs his engine ph34r.gif

Edited by Liquid Oxygen, 01 April 2004 - 09:45 PM.

#21 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 10:29 PM

I don't and never will consider a well done show car rice. Not everyone wants to go fast. We all have different priorities as far as what we want our car to do. Whether it be go fast, handle well, look good, have a huge stereo, drive over shit, or be a luxurious ride. It's all acceptable. Or should be. If I didn't care about speed, I may very well have modded my car to look sweet.

How far do you have to go into engine mods to make it not rice? Whats been done to your car?

#22 dietrite

dietrite

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 01:04 AM

these teens these days do what's cool. and what's cool is import cars and loud rap music. they haven't yet discovered the coolness of a 1970-1980 camaro ss.

#23 UndercoverPunker

UndercoverPunker

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:XBOX, snowboarding, My Caprice, HiFi sound, stuff I'm not supposed to like, community service...

Posted 02 April 2004 - 04:15 AM

no no, 68 or 69, accept no substitutes, I HATE 70's and 80's camaros, but those first years were fucking gorgeous!

#24 Liquid Oxygen

Liquid Oxygen

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (dietrite @ Apr 1 2004, 07:04 PM)
these teens these days do what's cool. and what's cool is import cars and loud rap music. they haven't yet discovered the coolness of a 1970-1980 camaro ss.

Wow you really take those stereotypes seriously...
Ummm... most of the people I know who drive imports and listen to rap music aren't teens. More in their early to mid twenties.

#25 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE (dietrite @ Apr 2 2004, 03:04 AM)

And you obviously haven't ridden in a "cool" import. They can be quite satisfying.

#26 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 02 April 2004 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (Hercules Q Einstein @ Mar 30 2004, 03:34 AM)
Just wondering, whenever i see the local burger king parking lot filled with high school kids at night they always have rap music playing and crappy japenese cars.

Its always the same kind of kids, the ones that dress and act just like rappers and think they are from then inner city. Why though? Rappers never put jap cars in their videos and never have them in their personal life. They always drive luxury cars or old musle cars.

Just ranting i guess, but it seems that these kids try to emulate everything rappers do except when it comes to cars. Just seems strange.

Correct me if I am wrong but you drive a BMW right? Which technically is an import is it not (even though it's not from Japan)? I kinda see what you mean but I think they chose to follow the Fast and the Furious more than Rapper Videos. Rap is quite prevalent in those movies but they all drive modded out imports. Just a thought.

#27 Hercules Q Einstein

Hercules Q Einstein

Scarface

• PipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 11:58 PM

Yes i do drive a BMW kinda strange, how did you know that?

And when i said imports it was just a term (I think everyone got the point)
, not every import is like that and not all domestics are different (Think Probe/Cavalier)

And i dont think they are emulating the fast and the furious becuase i remember people doing this well before that movie (in fact i am willing to bet the only reason FF had rap music was to cash in on the kinds i am talking about)

Come to think of it The F&F may just be a giant comercial by Honda, that kids pay to watch. Wow, great move honda beerchug.gif .

#28 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 April 2004 - 12:07 AM

Good point. It's just a fad I guess. Anyways I just get tired of how people use the label "imports" to automatically=ricer. Also most "imports" are actually manufactered in the US, Canada or Mexico now (at least the ones that end up for sale in the US) because the tariff on actual imports from Japan is quite high. For example my GF has a Honda Civic but it is made in Canada. So it is actually a Cunnuck, EH!!!!! *Runs like a bitch from a mob of angry Canadians* wink.gif

Edited by jesterrace777, 03 April 2004 - 12:10 AM.

#29 DaOne

DaOne

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 12:25 AM

I guess the reason for the giant wing is so that it is proportional to the oversized exhaust tip. My real question is why they need down force on there "trailer" when they have 300 lbs of stereo equipment in the back holding down the back end. I never have understood the concept of taking an economy car and converting it into a race car. If I did want a car like that to go fast I think I would start by removing weight not adding it. Then again I donít listen to rap ether.

CamaroGuy, what year camaro do you got? I have a couple of them. 01 Black SS, 6 speed, supercharged and a 95 Z28

#30 Rylinkus

Rylinkus

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 12:43 AM

QUOTE (Hercules Q Einstein @ Apr 3 2004, 01:58 AM)
, not every import is like that and not all domestics are different (Think Probe/Cavalier)

What exactly is wrong with a Probe?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users