8 replies to this topic

#1 reddragon105

reddragon105

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 12:23 AM

I've ended up with a spare Xbox case and it's come down to a choice between selling it on eBay or doing something more interesting with it... my housemate recently bought a new motherboard for his PIII PC and gave me the old one. I noticed it fits inside the Xbox case quite nicely - I put it there just to save space at first but the idea started to grow...

I've read the tutorial linked on this website about putting a PC inside an Xbox case and would like to do something similar:
http://www.mini-itx....ojects/i64xbox/

I'd like to use it primarily for storage, but also make it capable of browsing the internet and playing at least some older games so it doesnt need to be too fast. I'm thinking a mid-range PIII with about 256mb RAM, onboard graphics and sound (for space reasons), network adaptor, a 120gb hard drive (that i have spare) and a plain DVD or CD drive.

Was just wondering if anyone here knows of any other tutorials that I could read through before I start, or if anyone has attempted such a thing themselves and could report on their success/failings.

I have a question to start off with - would a v1.3 PSU power a PIII motherboard? I havent tried yet but they appear compatible, the connectors are the same. How would i connect the Xboxs existing power switch to the motherboard?

#2 weeman666

weeman666

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 09:22 PM

part it out you can get some good money i dont really like the xbox in a pc case. while i do if you dont move your xbox but i do so i would never do it. so do what you want dont ask for our opinion to what to do with YOUR xbox ok?

#3 Blessthemartyr4

Blessthemartyr4

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (weeman666 @ Mar 31 2004, 11:22 PM)
part it out you can get some good money i dont really like the xbox in a pc case. while i do if you dont move your xbox but i do so i would never do it. so do what you want dont ask for our opinion to what to do with YOUR xbox ok?

First off he wants to put the pc in the xbox case not the other way around. Plus why are you giving him a big deal for asking our opinion? Half the stuff on here is asking for our opinion.

#4 LoudSaxo

LoudSaxo

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 09:50 PM

a guy on bit-tech.net has done this - its on the forum in the project logs but it was ages ago so u might have to search

hope that helps

chaz

#5 SpikeMage

SpikeMage

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 09:53 PM

I have been meaning to do this myself. But am lacking the time and money sadly. mad.gif

I'll get around to it one of these days.

#6 M1ndL3sS

M1ndL3sS

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 31 March 2004 - 09:59 PM

Found the one at Bit-Tech here it is
http://forums.bit-te...ead.php?t=28208

#7 von_braun

von_braun

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:films, gaming, modding.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 31 March 2004 - 10:26 PM

If you made/modded an external power supply, you could save allot of space and heat. But you would probably have to make the cables longer in some way, or make a custom plug on the outside of the xbox so it looks nice.

#8 reddragon105

reddragon105

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 12:22 AM

thanks for the replies so far guys, havent had time to try anything over the last couple of days but should get around to experimenting and searching for parts tomorrow.

and weeman.... where in my post did i ask for an opinion?
i explained what i was doing and then asked if anyone here has done this before, and if the power supply and switch were compatible with PC motherboards

#9 Psykomantis00

Psykomantis00

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 12:48 AM

If people would read before they race to hit the post button and look "smart" they wouldnt look like a total jackass.

But for your question. I dont see why it woudlnt work. Tryit out. If it works great if not think of something else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users