X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Interests:KoRn
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 31 March 2004 - 12:15 PM

Well i modded this one guys xbox and for doing it he gave me his samsung dvd drive and i gave him my thompsan drive.. now keep in mind that this guy knows nothing about xbox's.. except that you play halo on them biggrin.gif... so anyways this drive sometimes wont open up.. so i give it a little smack then it opens.. another thing, if i have backups burnt at 4x sometimes they wont work, but they worked in my thompsan!? so i was just wondering if there was a way to fix any of these problems.. if not i'll find another person's xbox to mod fer his samsung or just get my old thompsan drive back...

#2 fireflier

fireflier

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 12:23 PM

Maybe this guy knew more than you realized....he may have known his drive was dying and traded it off for your hard work...just a thought...and how are you going to justifiably get your thompson back??? All the guy has to say is that you broke and then you sol....

#3 gl012yk

gl012yk

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 31 March 2004 - 12:49 PM

some of the samsung drives wont read DVD+R discs.
I dont know why but reads every thing but DVD+R's.
you used DVD+R's?

#4 Tanas

Tanas

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 01:06 PM

I've seen a few Samsung's with this fault, mine included, this seems to be a common fault, which I dont think is fixable. I've also seen this fault on PC DVDROMS.

Whats causes the problem is the magnet on the laser which keep the the disk in place by attaching its self to the small metal disk on the lid, puts strain on the opening mechanism and over time it weakens it to an extent that sometimes its unable to disattach itself from lid, which is what prevents the tray from opening, unless you give the front of the tray a tap. I'd still rather have a Samsung with this fault than a fully working shitty thomson or Phillips though.

Also Samsungs do read DVD+R's, but i've been told it depends on your burner. I havent found a brand of DVD+R that hasnt worked, when burnt on my NEC+R writer.
Anyway, not being able to read DVD+R's is no big deal.

Edited by Tanas, 31 March 2004 - 01:14 PM.

#5 MN-Mod-Man

MN-Mod-Man

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 31 March 2004 - 01:20 PM

I've had the drive not openning and closing problem, and I fixed it! you have to dis-assemble the drive try as the problem is in a small switch that is in the try mechanism. As for the media problems, I only use DVD-R and mine reads back-ups at 2X & 4X, and thats with some cheapo platinum DVD-R's.

#6 gordita37

gordita37

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 01:39 PM

No i know for a fact that he doesnt know anything about his drive or anything.. and he said that if i want my drive back he said ok.. but im interested in more of how to fix it..

#7 Tanas

Tanas

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 01:53 PM

It has nothing to do with a switch, the tray ejects 100% of the time without the lid on, because the magnet on the opening mechanism isnt attached to anything, but once you put the lid back on its sticks again..

Edited by Tanas, 31 March 2004 - 02:08 PM.

#8 gordita37

gordita37

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 06:35 PM

Well.. so what exactly do i have to do... i never took off the lid from the dvd drive by the ways and neither did the guy...

#9 gordita37

gordita37

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 03:00 AM

bump

0 user(s) are reading this topic