3 replies to this topic

#1 RiotAct

RiotAct

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 05:15 AM

Just wondering, I have a new kenwood amp with dolby digital2 with all the speakers etc and hooked up my xbox with the red & white audio cables that come standard. There is sound coming out of all of my speakers but a friend recons it's not really surround sound and the rear surround speakers play only the same sound the front speakers play unless I get an advanced pack, Is this correct? Thanks.

#2 Dreamcazman

Dreamcazman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 07 April 2004 - 06:38 AM

Correct, you need either the Advanced AV pack (S-video) or the HDAV pack (component) if you want optical digital 5.1 output from your Xbox. There are also 3rd party cables that also offer digital sound output.

The standard AV cable you're using at the moment is analogue stereo. The difference is like chalk and cheese.

Although there are other ways of getting digital output without buying another pack. There are tutorials on how to solder in a digital sound output directly into your Xbox.

#3 grimlock

grimlock

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 07 April 2004 - 08:06 AM

I can't disagree with dreamcazman, but to be absolutely accurate, the sound you're having is "surround". Most probably your amp has DSPs to process the analog stereo signal it gets into multichannel surround (prob 3 channels: 2 front and 1 back). Also, if your amp supports Dolby ProLogic II it can produce 5.1 digital sound just from the stereo source.
Don't get me wrong -it's not like the real thing, but it is surround.

#4 Teitoku

Teitoku

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 April 2004 - 08:02 PM

That's not surround, that's just stereo.
Xbox doesn't output dpl2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users