gnutellafan

X-S Expert

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 April 2004 - 08:51 PM

Please do not take this in the wrong way what so ever. neXgen has come a long way and alot of ppl have put alot of hard work into it and no one should ever bash them for the great work the team has done for the scene. However the efforts of team seem to be to create a dash with the look and feel of the M$ dash but with more functionality. To a large extent this has been done with the tHc hack of the M$ dash. I humbly propose that XdashOs refocus its efforts to write a new xboxdash.xbe to be used with the scripts, xips, xaps, ect that M$ has already professionaly made and tHc has tweaked into a beautiful dash. By re-writing the xboxdash.xbe any functionality could be added to the dash (ftp, game icons, ect) and both XdashOs and tHc could work together since they have many goals in common.

#2 jsrlepage

jsrlepage

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:59 AM

normally, i'd be on thc's side. But this idea is VERY WELL made.

xboxdash.xbe being the "central file" that uses MS's files, integrated in the XIPs and all that, a "rewrite" from scrap of xboxdash.xbe could be appreciated, although it would take some mad skills to figure out how EACH function is integrated, etc...

but with another couple of devs working on this one, it could be cool. It is always possible to modify neXgen to use the files. but then they'd have to geek out the zoom-in/zoom-out effects, the internal saves/memory management, DVD-Audio-ETC feats, XBOX-LIVE? No i'm kiddin, ... you see where this is getting...

With some MAD SKILLz, it can be done.

#3 HoRnEyDvL

HoRnEyDvL

Nexgen Developer

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 14 April 2004 - 05:28 AM

It can be done but its will be ilegal 2 work with, because nexgen is coded from scratch it contains no m$dash coded at all but is compiled with MS sdk but we can release the sources.

#4 gnutellafan

gnutellafan

X-S Expert

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 10:44 AM

You could still release the source code for an xboxdash.xbe that you write. You just couldnt release all the M$ files (but everyone has them on their xbox anyway and a small LEGAL app could re-arrange them if need be). Any script code that is written by users would be legal as well. So actually the project could be just as legal as the neXgen project.

#5 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:32 PM

Yer but why? Nexgen is a competitor to THC, your basicaly asking Nexgen to imbed an FTP server into the THC dash. Leave it guys XdashOS want to make nexgen and thats how it's always been and it will continue to stay like this as well.

#6 gnutellafan

gnutellafan

X-S Expert

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 07:43 PM

Thats exactly the mentality that kills good things on any scene. neXgen and tHc are NOT competing. This isnt a business, just a bunch of ppl trying to create really cool things for ppl to use. NeXgen and tHc have similiar goals - create a dashboard with the look and feel of the original M$ dash but with more functionality. In fact this goal is also shared by UnleashX. I would LOVE to see Team XdashOs and UnleashX come together to work on writing a new xboxdash.xbe. Why should the project go in that direction? They are trying to re-produce the look of the M$ Dash, tHc is using the M$ dash. Why divide the efforts when the groups could come together and produce something even more amazing.

#7 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:39 PM

What I'm saying that THC base there work on the MS dashboard. XdashOS base there work on the old nexgen source code that was released. I can see unleashx and XdashOS coming together but THC is a completely different concept to what XdashOS is. Even HoRnEyDvL said it for him self. Im not saying it wont work I think it would be just to much effort wasted when XdashOS already has a good ground base team.

It can be done but its will be ilegal 2 work with, because nexgen is coded from scratch it contains no m$dash coded at all but is compiled with MS sdk but we can release the sources.

#8 gnutellafan

gnutellafan

X-S Expert

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 10:30 AM

Did you even read what HoRnEyDvL posted or did you just quote it. He said it COULD be done. The only reason he gave for not doing it is that it would be illegal. I simply stated that NO, it would not be illegal since they would have to write the code for xboxdash.xbe from scratch, so that source code would be completely legal.

#9 HoRnEyDvL

HoRnEyDvL

Nexgen Developer

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 15 April 2004 - 10:47 AM

Posible Well i think it can be possible. But we got to think about it this way. We create the xbe we add ftp yeah. We cant play with the xip code what so ever as it is patent 2 MS xip xap xbe same thing its compile code that m$ used. Maybe unleashx & teamxos can combine together but that once again this is a decision for unleashx.

#10 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 11:42 AM

Did you even read what HoRnEyDvL posted or did you just quote it. He said it COULD be done. The only reason he gave for not doing it is that it would be illegal. I simply stated that NO, it would not be illegal since they would have to write the code for xboxdash.xbe from scratch, so that source code would be completely legal.

What I'm saying that THC base there work on the MS dashboard. XdashOS base there work on the old nexgen source code that was released. I can see unleashx and XdashOS coming together but THC is a completely different concept to what XdashOS is. Even HoRnEyDvL said it for him self. Im not saying it wont work I think it would be just to much effort wasted when XdashOS already has a good ground base team.

I said it would be a waste of effort, didnt say it cant be done, <goes and rereads my post.

.... Im not saying it wont work

#11 jsrlepage

jsrlepage

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (HoRnEyDvL @ Apr 15 2004, 12:47 PM)
Posible Well i think it can be possible. But we got to think about it this way. We create the xbe we add ftp yeah. We cant play with the xip code what so ever as it is patent 2 MS xip xap xbe same thing its compile code that m$ used. Maybe unleashx & teamxos can combine together but that once again this is a decision for unleashx.

sorry for correcting.

but did we ever tell anyone to toy with the internals of the files? we have but suggested to use them... not de-compile!

#12 SpOoK

SpOoK

X-S Member

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 09:48 AM

Hi,

The problems that I see are:

* We would need to decompile to the original MS files to see how the hell the work and what it is they are actualy doing so we can understand them (not a major problem as tools are out to decompile / rebuild them)

* There is minimal if not any information out there on how to use the XIP, XAP file types within your own program. (If you have documentation then please pass it on)

The best bet of actualy using the MS dash original files would be if someone already has the source code to the original xboxdash.xbe then we could use what is already there and add the ftp server etc to it

thats how i see it atm.

If anyone has any information or documentation on some of this then we can start to look at it but I wouldn't promise anything.

It would be more likely that 2 dashboard teams would join together than re-code a new xboxdash.xbe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users