Photo

Partially Retarded Or Just Plain LAZY?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: How did you install evox and related apps?

How did you install evox and related apps?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 spyvie

spyvie

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 16 April 2004 - 02:26 AM

Just wondering why so many people seem to have so much trouble with this. I don't think I had a single post in these forums until well after my box was up and running with a chip, evox and a new hdd all without slayers or anything like that. The amazing thing about it is all you have to do is read a little bit (and all of the necessary info is readily available)before you jump right in a fuck shit up or flood the scene with dumbass questions simply because you're LAZY.

However if in fact you are retarded, I apologize if that seemed harsh.

#2 phunqe

phunqe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 09:40 AM

So basically...

If a person wants a computer and he/she buy one from Dell, he/she is either

A. Lazy
or
B. Retarded

There are plenty of resources on how to build your own computer. If you read them you would probably manage to build one even if you haven't done it before.
Then why does the person in question buy an already assembled computer?
Because he/she is afraid that something will break. Even if instructions are followed, things are known to break.

If you are not familiar with something you are about to do you might be afraid that something breaks. If the person who is afraid of this and decides to buy an assemled computer, it doesn't make him/her lazy or retarded now does it.

#3 oswald

oswald

X-S Genius

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Interests:kicking ass and taking names in the BST forum
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 April 2004 - 11:37 AM

I don't think the original posters comments are in line with his poll.

I too did not post here until I was already up and running, I read alot, and did most things as manually as you can. I read and read and read, but more importantly, I learned.

That said, I use slayers all the time. Does that make me retarded? NO, it's convenient, and I don't even use evox as a dashboard. If you're setting up an xbox, especially someone elses, its faster and easier to just pop in the slayers disc... so why wouldn't you?

#4 Axon

Axon

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:26 PM

I use Slayer's as well....don't see a reason not to. It's quick and simple.

#5 spyvie

spyvie

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:50 PM

I don't have a problem with using slayer's exactly. The problem is more with those who seem to use it without a clue as to what they are actually doing and then when they do encounter a problem they have no idea how to fix it which leads to the same questions that are posted over and over again.

It seems to me that most of the people having trouble after using slayer's have little or no idea how or what the evox.ini file is or does. If you're going to take on the task of modding your xbox it seems to me you should invest a little time to understand what your doing. Especially when the information is clearly presented in so many step by step tuts all of which are available from the scene.

I read and read and read, but more importantly, I learned.

Exactly.

So basically...

If a person wants a computer and he/she buy one from Dell, he/she is either

A. Lazy
or
B. Retarded

Only if they spend all their time on the customer support line trying to learn how to use it instead of reading the manuals that come with it.

If you are not familiar with something you are about to do you might be afraid that something breaks. If the person who is afraid of this and decides to buy an assemled computer, it doesn't make him/her lazy or retarded now does it.

If your that scared you should have someone else do it for you just as you would have someone else build your computer.

Edited by spyvie, 16 April 2004 - 07:53 PM.

#6 Knasen

Knasen

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 April 2004 - 07:23 AM

I don't like slayers at all, simply because I want full control of what's happening. So reading tuts and trial and error is the way to go for me (and if it fucks up, I know who to blame wink.gif ) .

#7 maxsee

maxsee

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 09:01 AM

There is no right or wrong actually...

Is all up to you when, how and why you want to use Slayers Boot Disk

Honestly, If you want to start the begining of how to mod your xbox.
You need to start the basic.. that is learn how to set it manually.

Meaning how you flash the bios, FTP EvoxDash, putting all the Xbox Applications ,Tools and Toys manually.

Then you realize you have done great!
But all this would not happen unless you able to read with the correct information flow and really understand how it works.

For example.. if you do not know how to edit Evox ini.
How the hell are you going to undestand the power of Evox.

Anyway, whatever are your reasons. As long you did not screwed up by using Slayers then I guess is perfectly ok to say... I DID NOT MESSED UP MAN!!

#8 se7enty7

se7enty7

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 03:47 PM

Slayer's was a GREAT way to get started w/ evox.ini.

I installed slayers, then changed the evox.ini to suit my needs (like taking launch program from hdd out of system management, ) and deleted/removed progs I don't need.

Firefuckers imo has way too many things I won't ever use (like 20 different emu's....)

#9 thefilepirater

thefilepirater

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 20 April 2004 - 07:48 PM

i dont like slayers for 2 main reasons...

1.) its old and has older outdated shit (this is were n00bs come in and they thing something is wrong, but a newer vers of software X ususally fixes the problem)

2.) it has the worst wording of options
EX. 5-9) Format F using G on Large Retail Vers. 1-3 NO #9

#10 dschill

dschill

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 04:19 AM

i dont think slayers is all that bad to start with i mean i did my first xbox with slayers and then the rest i all did with a boot cd and such but slayers really isnt to different than useing a evox boot cd and a corectly setup ini file

#11 phunqe

phunqe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:03 AM

Spyvie,

a computer to some people is like a.. I don't know... a space shuttle for you (assuming you aren't a rocket engineer).

Now, if you wanted to buy a space shuttle would you

A. Get a rocket engineer, buy the parts and let him built it in his garage.
B. Go to company X with all ISO certifications that exists and that has a proven and extremely secure production line.

It's the same thing. To them (computer "illiterates") it's just like a space craft. Yes, even with the "my life depends on it" clause.
Not true? Work at a computer support center and you'll know what I'm talking about tongue.gif

Edited by phunqe, 21 April 2004 - 11:40 AM.

#12 piscian18

piscian18

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:32 PM

" only one of my 10 computers hooked up can get online"

" ok cool i need to you go over to your router "

" what's a router ?"

"sigh.....ok (fuckit) i need you to go over to your modem"

" i can't see it "

" you can't see it?"

" yeah its dark in here the power went out"

sorry for this call center comedy interuption we now return you to your regularly scheduled forum
ph34r.gif

#13 djhush

djhush

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 26 April 2004 - 02:14 PM

I used it the first time I modded, but after I could see how everything was laid out on the HD, I reformatted and installed everything myself using the newest stuff, etc.

Now I just use it to format and partition my Xbox and FTP in and install Evox. After that I FTP in and install everything else myself.

I can see how it would help those who aren't as picky and just want to keep things as simple as possible

#14 dougyt

dougyt

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 05:02 PM

How many people here built their own car from a haynes manual, written by semi literate people whilst reading 3 other books all detailing the build another way??
Cos that's what it's like in these forums. 300 posts will be made all detailing the same thing, with 300 small variations but enough to confuse you to hell and back again.
And while you're at it, throw in the "that part can be got from 'the usual sources' "
but only actually refer to those sources whereabouts once in an obscure post buried 8 pages deep.
And now slayers and their ilk make life so much easier, no hunting around anymore, it's all accessible, simple and quick.

And yes I did mod 3 xboxes "manually" by reading these forums, then tsopped my own and used x-disk when I upgraded to a larger hdd as it was so much easier than rewriting my own evox.ini on a dvd to format and install the stuff I wanted.

#15 morgant6911

morgant6911

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 06:23 PM

I use it because I don't feel like fiddling with .ini and config files. Slayer's has just about every program I need, and so far hasn't given me any problems.

The reason why Windows is so popular is because people want something simple that is easy to use. I don't think any Linux distro will ever become as popular as Windows because it gives the end user TOO much power.

The point of all this rambling...?

I prefer to use Slayer's because I am a lazy bastard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users