lukano

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 April 2004 - 03:15 PM

So I'm working on yet another box (#17 total + 2 fixes & 2 modchips, so by no means am I a newb) but this one has me a little stumped.

It's a 1.4 box with a Windbond chip (afaik, might be 1.2/1.3, but it really doesn't matter) and it was given to me pre-soldered.

I got raincoat on, and ended up having to upgrade it to 0.70 to try to test if that would help. Whenever I run raincoat I get the standard 0x09 0x00 error, but I also get it when I try to read the bloody bios back into a file.

I've tried with Raincoat 0.501, 0.7... neither had any luck.

I never use a multimeter when soldering, I think it's useless as if it doesn't flash I just resolder. I've been in the box a dozen or so times now, have stripped the points right bare and resoldered, and still no luck.

What gives?

On a side note, someone REALLY should rebuild the 007withraincoat flash pack to include raincoat 0.7 and a friggin FTPD process. It would make situations like this a lot easier, if I didn't have to continuously throw this HD into the hotswap/unlock/xlinux trick to add files to it.

#2 lukano

lukano

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 03:22 PM

Just had a thought that maybe this guy dropped solder on R7D2 in his soldering hayday (he went for the bottom join too, and made a big mess).

I'll update if I get results, otherwise still looking for suggestions.

#3 impirius

impirius

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 04:52 PM

Hey.. I'm having the exact same problem on a 1.4/5 (not sure which) box. Both top points are soldered, but I can't even read from the BIOS using ./raincoat -r oldbios.bin ...just keep getting a 0x09 error. If I have any luck, I'll let you know.

#4 impirius

impirius

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:21 PM

Just checked the model of my chip..
Winbond W49F020T-90B
402WHSA

I can't find anything for W49F020T in the raincoat.conf file, even checked the CVS. I found a listing on these forums for it, but the code is "0x0900".. that's a joke, right?

Edit: Just tried adding the "0x0900" file to raincoat.conf, but still no go with raincoat.

Edited by impirius, 16 April 2004 - 05:41 PM.

#5 lukano

lukano

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:59 PM

Theoretically, this is the line you need in raincoat.

CODE
Flash = 0xda8c,"Winbond - W49F020",0x40000

But, that's with raincoat 0.501 or 0.7. I've tried both with no luck.

Hell, I even went and did the wiremod suggested elsewhere the forum, running one from LP2 to ground (or whatever the heck that one was), and another from another LP point to a point by a C2 resistor (don't have the pic handy, and the box is packed up right now).

Still no freaking luck.

I'm going insane here... I have NO idea why this bastard won't flash. I also can't tell if it's 1.4, or the elusive and never really confirmed existence of a 1.5.

ARGH!

Edited by lukano, 16 April 2004 - 06:02 PM.

#6 Exobex

Exobex

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (impirius @ Apr 16 2004, 06:21 PM)
Just checked the model of my chip..
Winbond W49F020T-90B
402WHSA

Edit: Just tried adding the "0x0900" file to raincoat.conf, but still no go with raincoat.

That's because raincoat 0.7 ignores non-JEDEC compliant device IDs, even if they're in raincoat.conf. Any line starting with Flash=0x0900 is a potential Xbox killer, so raincoat 0.6/0.7 doesn't let you override it with such trash.
Check your soldering. Also ensure you haven't shorted or removed any nearby resistors.
On the 1.0 - 1.1, check the resistor next to the bottom jumper
On the 1.2 - 1.5, check the resistor next to the top jumper nearest the TSOP

Edited by Exobex, 16 April 2004 - 07:29 PM.

#7 lukano

lukano

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:31 PM

done and done and done and done and done and done and done and done and done and done and done..... et infinite.

I've been through the standards steps about a dozen and a half times now. Still no luck.

I'm about tempted to throw an Alladin Advanced into the box and be done with it.

#8 impirius

impirius

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:31 PM

Thanks. I'll give the soldering another shot and see if it'll work. I appreciate the advice.

(And lukano, I've been on the brink of just ordering an Aladdin for quite a while now)

Edited by impirius, 16 April 2004 - 07:33 PM.

#9 impirius

impirius

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 08:18 PM

Just wanted to give you guys an update: it worked!!

I undid my last soldering job and used some very small pieces of tinned wire to connect both points on top of the motherboard. It worked like a charm. I didn't think it was the fault of the soldering before since I couldn't even read the BIOS... that was the source of the confusion, I guess.

At any rate, I'm off to install Avalaunch and a bunch of emulators on my girlfriend's graduation present. Thanks for the help!

#10 lukano

lukano

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 09:08 PM

sonofabitch.... tongue.gif

Well either way, I tried those steps and still didn't have any luck. I even tried an Alladin in there, and the box wouldn't take it (and I've installed them before, I know I did it right)... so I'm thinking it's a bad box for some bizarre reason.

It's getting packed up, returned to it's owner, who will likely try to swap it for another with Walmart if they'll take it.

#11 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,735 posts
  • Interests:#lordvader129
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 16 April 2004 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (lukano @ Apr 16 2004, 06:08 PM)
sonofabitch.... tongue.gif

Well either way, I tried those steps and still didn't have any luck. I even tried an Alladin in there, and the box wouldn't take it (and I've installed them before, I know I did it right)... so I'm thinking it's a bad box for some bizarre reason.

It's getting packed up, returned to it's owner, who will likely try to swap it for another with Walmart if they'll take it.

mabe its a 1.5 and thats why the aladdin wont take

dont know whats up with the 0x0900

#12 lukano

lukano

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 03:32 PM

According to the Alladin folks, you can do an Alladin Advanced (64 I think) on a 1.5 if you set up your ground and whatnot.

Still no luck though... I just gave up on this box.

#13 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,735 posts
  • Interests:#lordvader129
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 17 April 2004 - 03:38 PM

QUOTE (lukano @ Apr 17 2004, 12:32 PM)
According to the Alladin folks, you can do an Alladin Advanced (64 I think) on a 1.5 if you set up your ground and whatnot.

Still no luck though... I just gave up on this box.

yeah, the aladdin will work if you attach it to gorund and 3.3v outside of the LPC, if that didnt work youve just got a posessed xbox or something, lol

#14 TeKNyNe

TeKNyNe

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (lukano @ Apr 16 2004, 05:15 PM)
On a side note, someone REALLY should rebuild the 007withraincoat flash pack to include raincoat 0.7 and a friggin FTPD process. It would make situations like this a lot easier, if I didn't have to continuously throw this HD into the hotswap/unlock/xlinux trick to add files to it.

Why not just buy a memory card, use a modded XBOX to update the files from the original savegame, copy the savegame to the memory card, and then copy it from the memory card to any xbox you do. Thats what I do.

#15 impirius

impirius

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 01:17 AM

lukano, if it's any help at all, I fixed my problem by tinning the last 2mm of a 30 AWG wire, cutting that part off, placing it between the two points (which had flux on them), and soldering. If even an Aladdin isn't working for you, though... man, I dunno.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users