#1 phishstyx

phishstyx

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 58 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 18 April 2004 - 04:20 PM

I am thinking about buying a TFT screen on ebay, like a 12" one from a thinkpad or something like that. http://cgi.ebay.com/...3474337552&rd=1 is just one example. But anyways I was wondering if it is possible to mount the screen in the lid, then wire it directly to the A/V input, so I will be able to still use a tv. But since it would be directly connected to the A/V input if i didnt have a tv, then it would directly play through the screen in the lid. I do realize I would have to add speakers from possibly a laptop to the case also. So I know this is kind of far fetched, but would it be possible? What Im thinking that if it works, to mount the XBOX on the wall vertically and use it as a its own monitor, since all the games I play are backed up. Will it work?
Thanks
Brad

#2 Barcode

Barcode

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 April 2004 - 05:07 PM

that would be so awesome. those tft screens are damn inexpensive, holy crap!

#3 Shaggygod

Shaggygod

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 18 April 2004 - 05:16 PM

if u end up doing it post pics man that would be cool......

#4 fire2501

fire2501

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 05:47 PM

that would be soo pimped out... i hope someone can figure out how to do this.. because i would do one right away after them if i knew it worked and any laptop screen would work... it would be great for travelling which i do alot..!

#5 Barcode

Barcode

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 05:54 PM

Same here, i travel alot. Get it to work and you will be a god!

#6 phishstyx

phishstyx

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 05:59 PM

I'm glad you guys like the idea and whatnot the problem is that I dont know to much about electrical stuff like that so I was hopeing that someone could point me to the right direction. But hopefully this will be done. Im just about done with this semester of school so I think I am going to buy one of those screens in the next week or so, then get a spare case, and then get started. Is llama the best place to buy a case?
Thanks
Brad

#7 h34d5h0tz

h34d5h0tz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts
  • Interests:http://www.pbase.com/h43d5h0tz/xbox
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 18 April 2004 - 06:05 PM

there wus a few guys that made lil screens on there case. ill go look 4 their post and mayb u can talk 2 them about it. but the guy did get the screen from 1 of those controllers that have the screen in it. so it will b a lil harder 2 use sum screen that u find.

#8 jkBHSO3

jkBHSO3

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 18 April 2004 - 06:21 PM

if its from a laptop then dont count on it, you said thinkpad (laptop) your gonna need a LCD Controller Card to use it, if you SEARCH.... youll find that Laptop LCDs use proprietary signals (non standard) and you need a piece of hardware to convert the xbox signal to its signal. those usually run about 300 for a cheap one and about 5-600 for a fairly good one

#9 phishstyx

phishstyx

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for the bad news. Now I know unless I want to spend to much it isnt possible. Thanks and guess its time to think of something new.
Brad

#10 SlimDady

SlimDady

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 07:22 PM

Not all hope is lost.

check out this link.. the screens are a little smaller then you want
http://www.partsexpr...ectGroup_ID=303

but if you can get your hands on one of these or somthing similar(and larger) it will work.
they run off 12v and you wont need a controller

#11 phishstyx

phishstyx

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 07:54 PM

I was thinking about one of those, but just a little too expensive for what i was hoping for. It was a good thought of a project but won't happen. Oh well just time to think for something else.
Brad

#12 Byrdclaw

Byrdclaw

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 09:00 PM

actually I believe those still need a "brain" as it's called in the car world. the brain interfaces with the DVD device and outputs to a usable signal for a car screen. but I dunno much bout car systems so I could be totally wrong.

I'd say the best bet you'd have with this is to use a computer monitor LCD, not a laptop but a true LCD and stuff a VGA converter somewhere in the xbox.

Is it doable? Yes
Is it practical? no
is it cheap? no

#13 NanoStudios

NanoStudios

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 18 April 2004 - 09:09 PM

I started up a similar topic yesterday:

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=203115

#14 phishstyx

phishstyx

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 01:53 PM

Ok maybe the idea is not dead quite yet. What would happen if i bought an old cheap laptop. For instance http://cgi.ebay.com/...3474513090&rd=1 or something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/...3473867502&rd=1 Then if i took it all apart I could get the LCD controller with it. Now if I bought something like that would it be possible? I know this is very inpracticle, but I am curious if I could pull something like that off.
Thanks
brad

#15 CHRONOSTORM

CHRONOSTORM

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 19 April 2004 - 02:04 PM

theoritically yes but ud have to rewire a vga connector still. it seems it would be easier to get a normal comp lcd dissasemble it and try to make it the size you want. and wire it up to the vga adapter. although there expensive as hell anyways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users