9 replies to this topic

#1 exiztone

exiztone

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 08:35 PM

Sorry,
The search feature wasn't working and I couldn't find any guides/threads that related to my question. Basically, I'm moving out next year (so plenty of time to think about this) and I'm going to have a fair amount of space. I was thinking, wouldn't it be deadly to buy a projector and surround speakers, hook'em up to my Xbox and make a home theatre. My Xbox is modded and I have XBMC on it so I figure it would be excellent to watch DivX on it.

Now, I'm clueless about the whole home theatre subject. Basically, I have a PAL Xbox hooked up to a 14" television with a scart lead at the moment. But my plan is to buy a projector and surround speakers for under 1000euro. But I have no idea what to buy.

Some guy recommended this: http://www.projector...BenQ-PB6100.htm
and told me the 'Component Video' feature is the most important thing. That's fine, but it's too expensive for me. If I get that, I won't have enough for the audio. I'm hoping to get the two features for around a grand.

Maybe someone could point me in the right direction of the right hardware to buy and what I have to take into consideration? Keep in mind, I want a decent home theatre system, but I'm a student and cash is a problem wink.gif

However, that doesn't mean I want something uber-cheap like this: http://cgi.ebay.co.u...&category=22610 biggrin.gif

Just something I could project on a white screen on the wall with nice ac3 surround decoding while having a beer with my mates. smile.gif

Thanks in advance
- Tim

P.S. Very sorry if this is in the wrong forum, feel free to move it if it is.

#2 ChrisF

ChrisF

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,220 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 08:50 PM

This is exactly the right forum. A lot of us are running modded Xboxes as media center devices with HDTV and audio equipment.

$1K is going to fall short though to get you solid audio and visual. The X1 is a DLP projector and the best bang for the buck out there. I believe it's native 600x800. It gets rave reviews and nothing without going much higher gives you the same quality.

As far as audio...just like anything else, people's definition of quality varies. But if you are going to something from nothing I imagine just about anything is decent. Make sure you have an optical input or two for 5.1 from the Xbox. I'd put my money into the X1 and either wait or get something very low end on this side leaving room for future upgrade.

The best website for projectors is www.avsforum.com (they have multiple projector forums). I'm sure you can find some recomendations for home theater in a box type packages - personally, I'd wait for a killer deal on a cheapy that meets your needs as it's not worth paying up and stretching to get more expensive but still shitty stuff and getting to the fair range is going to cost you more money that you have allotted.

#3 boom

boom

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 22 April 2004 - 01:05 PM

There was a sale at circuit city I believe, with a projection TV 52in for like a grand or so. It was in the flyer. I might be wrong about the size, but check the site if you want...

#4 AdoptedDeV

AdoptedDeV

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 08:24 PM

Theres a reason that things so cheap its JUNK
Accept no less then 800 lumens unless you plan on gaming in pitch black room, which is quite awful on the eyes and will cause headaches after peroids of time.
I say about 800 because you dont sound like you have a dedicated room with light control to display any less...

your first link looks like a great entry model PJ though.

I can't really help to much w/ audio but I will say that while most frown on HTIB, its also a good starting point... truly no shame if thats all your wallet can handle.
Or maybe buy a nice reciever first and hook up some yard sale specials to them until you afford a decent pair and then slowly add in the pieces

Edit: I second ChrisF the X1 is an outstanding PJ I've had mine for well over a year and love it.

Edited by AdoptedDeV, 22 April 2004 - 08:28 PM.

#5 morgant6911

morgant6911

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:56 PM

The basics for getting 5.1 sound out of your Xbox.

You need a Dolby Digital Decoder. Most receivers that you buy nowadays come with this already built in.

Next, your Xbox needs to have optical or digi-coax out. You can do this 2 ways:

1. Buy the Xbox upgrade kit
2. Do it yourself using the tutorials on the website.

You run the digital sound connection to your receiver, which is hooked into your speakers and enable it via the Xbox dashboard, and you will have True DD on games that support it.

If you are on $1000 for both audio and video, I highly suggestion a home theater in a box from Onkyo. I have the HT-S760 and it rocks for the price.

Edited by morgant6911, 22 April 2004 - 10:57 PM.

#6 bp193

bp193

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 06:47 PM

If you want an extemely good projector for under a $1000 go with the Dell 2200MP Projector....extremely nice. It is $899 brand new and HDTV ready, 1000 lumens, S-Video, and composite video...and of course VGA. But in order to get audio you have to put it through a Home Theater System - which for you is fine. Also, at Best-Buy they have a 5.1 Surround Sound system with progressive scan dvd player for $99.99....if i am correct that is the Projector and Audio for less than $1000 dollars, excluding tax of course....Enjoy your new Home Theater

Dell Projector:

http://www1.us.dell....s=19&l=en&s=dhs

Home Theater Audio System:

http://www.bestbuy.c...goryId=cat03010

ENJOY biggrin.gif

#7 exiztone

exiztone

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 07:54 PM

Hey,
Sorry, this thread vanished from my mind. Thanks for the e-mail bp193. Yep, $899 is pretty good. So is the $99.99. I guess I'll have a dollar and a cent in change too.

I'm going to look at these products in a bit more detail and look for sellers on the European market.

Cheers
- Tim

#8 Redemption

Redemption

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 01:29 AM

ok i'll tell you straight up for projector listen to bp193 but for audio no WAY. If you get that system you will regret it later even if it IS only $100. I paid $300 for my Sony receiver and around $500 for a speaker pack(5.1) from Infinity. i get 100 watts a channel of very crisp clean sound and the sub I believe is 300 or 400. The receiver i got for free actually, i only paid the $500 because it was an after thanksgiving day sale so was great. I recommend just looking at Circuit City, or BestBuy. The BEST place if you want to order online though is Crutchfield.com they have the best items you can buy for audio, visual, or basically anything electronic i'd recommend checking it out for both the projector AND the audio system. I don't have an Advanced AV pack for my box because my TV is a 20" panasonic and not really worth payin $20 just for the sound(it still works great even without the dolby surround natural, and downstairs I have a bigger system+tv anyway so if i really wanted i could take my box downstairs for a 36" and a stereo pumpin like 400watts a channel out so it's not bad) but for $1000 you'd be VERY hardpressed to afford both a projector and audio system. 2 of my friends have projectors, and the bulbs ALONE(have to replace once a year or 2) cost $800 a piece so that might tell you if you're gettin a good projector, expect a few $K

#9 preiter

preiter

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 02:19 PM

I always wanted a projector myself, but in your price range you might be better off with a RP TV.

I'd also spend a bit less on the TV and more on the sound, but that's my preference.

Look at PC-based 5.1 systems for inexpensive surround sound. I use the Logitech Z-580 myself. It's 5.1 with build in Dolby Digital/Pro-Logic, optical and coaxial inputs. Sounds great for games and movies, not as good for music (except techno), but at that price you aren't going to get a great system for music AND surround.

If your budget is fixed, don't forget to accound for the cost of cables and adapters, they can add a bundle.

#10 dogmanky

dogmanky

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 11:39 PM

I have the X1 and a 96" 16:9 Carada screen (www.carada.com). I use a Creative Labs Extigy with a set of Logitech Z560s for my audio. I have a cheepass Cyberhome CH DVD300 DVD Player, Retail Xbox w/Xecuter 2.3b Lite and the monster Hi Def cables. It's a hell of a nice set up on a beer budget!

X1 - ($900) (new egg)
Screen - ($650) (Carada)
Refurb Extigy - ($75) (ebay)
Z560's - ($125) (Amazon)
DVD Player ($39)
XBox w/cables and mod ($300)

Total - <$2100

You can save $600 by using a piece of Blackout cloth from JoAnn's Fabric and still get the same effect. Considering what a nice HD TV cost these days or a nice Laptop, etc.. you just can't gp wrong with a similar set up. I get 5.1 sound with the Extigy and HDef with the X1.

The AVS forums are a good place to learn about all this sutff too. beerchug.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users