ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:25 AM

1. I suspect the xbox hdd came already unlocked. I've read here in the forum that error 16 suppresses error 5.
2. After xboxhdm rebuild was completed, the error 16 dashboard error was replaced by the original error 5. Your method of hotswapping doesn't sound right, was the dvd IDE cable connected or not? You might want to read this: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=332179. There are a few specific situations when the hdd is temporarily unlocked.
3. You may need to build this eeprom reader to get the eeprom.bin to lock the hdd.

#887 BigBadOsker

BigBadOsker

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Anything cool.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 30 August 2008 - 11:48 PM

Hi Idots, you have been a big help with this. Just wanted to say thanks. Also I think I bricked my original hard drive for the box as I cannot access it anymore with the hotswap trick or have it recognized in windows. I was going to create a new partition on it and try again. However I do have a 20 gb hd that I tried with xbox hd maker and I still get the error 5 after building the drive. Do I have any other options of getting the eeprom file as the tutorial you linked is a little bit out of my league? I might actually try it one day when I manage to own a soldering iron and have the balls to try it. Is there any other way to lock the hard drive or am I basically just screwed? I have been searching the site but some of this stuff is just too much for me without any help. Man I wish I had a friend around here who was familiar with this stuff. Anyway, thanks again for your time and effort. I do appreciate it. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

#888 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE(BigBadOsker @ Aug 31 2008, 07:24 AM) View Post

However I do have a 20 gb hd that I tried with xbox hd maker and I still get the error 5 after building the drive. Do I have any other options of getting the eeprom file as the tutorial you linked is a little bit out of my league? I might actually try it one day when I manage to own a soldering iron and have the balls to try it. Is there any other way to lock the hard drive or am I basically just screwed?

I confess soldering is also out of my league so I tried this: http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=645714, see if that helps you.
Error 5 is expected for new hdd as softmods require xbox hdd to be locked with the right password generated from the right eeprom.

#889 BigBadOsker

BigBadOsker

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Anything cool.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 31 August 2008 - 01:57 AM

I might just be able to pull this off. So do you just connect the corresponding wires onto the motherboard and plug the other end into the serial port of your PC? Are you able to save the eeprom file at this point or are you just able to get the password? Thanks again!!!

#890 ldotsfan

ldotsfan

X-S Messiah

• Dev/Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:20 AM

QUOTE(BigBadOsker @ Aug 31 2008, 09:33 AM) View Post

I might just be able to pull this off. So do you just connect the corresponding wires onto the motherboard and plug the other end into the serial port of your PC? Are you able to save the eeprom file at this point or are you just able to get the password? Thanks again!!!

Yes, SCL, SDA and GND to xbox motherboard. Other end to PC serial port. PonyProg is the program to run. Purpose is to obtain eeprom.bin - which is a 256-bytes file. When used with xboxhdm, it will be able to generate the hdd password to lock.

#891 thaskins

thaskins

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:20 PM

Anyway to rebuild a drive that is not primary master using your xboxhd utility? Never mind, I just fiqured out this is an xbox util not a 360 util. Any idea if anything is available to do this to 360 hard drives?

Edited by thaskins, 20 January 2009 - 10:29 PM.

#892 dickalan

dickalan

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:46 AM

I posted my question in another section. Ignore this.

Edited by obcd, 02 February 2009 - 10:26 AM.

#893 dickalan

dickalan

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 08:57 PM

admin please don't edit this since i'm asking more specific questions here (now) smile.gif thanks

I need help I've unlocked my softmodded xbox hard drive and i just need to re lock it (it's still in the xbox, never taken it out or anything). This tutorial is a little over my head and i'm left a little confused.

All i want to do is re lock it. So how exactly do i make the cd?
I have slayers evox but i've never used it, I used AID.

I don't need to hook my xbox up to my computer via hard drives connections do I? - ( i don't mean ftp)

FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND - I put some of the files from 'slayer' into the linux\C folder and use the make-dos-floppy (or do i used make-iso-win?) file and make a cd-r out of it. then put it in the xbox. And press option 3 i think and i should be done? Am i missing something or is that it?

I'm just apprehensive because as you can see i've already screwed up once smile.gif

#894 obcd

obcd

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,737 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:12 PM

You are missing a lot, and you are messing things together.

The only way to relock the harddisk without the need to connect it to a pc ide connector is with a modchip. To install a modchip in your xbox, you will also need to remove the harddisk.

To relock it with a pc, you will need the xbox eeprom contents. The eeprom is a small 256 byte memory chip with information unique for every xbox. Part of that information is the hddkey which is used together with the harddisk model and serial number to calculate the harddisk password used to unlock the harddisk.

You need to lock the harddisk with the correct password, so that the xbox is able to unlock it with that same pasword.

Most softmod tutorials advise to backup the xbox eeprom. If you have done that procedure, it is possible that you have a small 256 byte file on your xbox harddisk (usually called eeprom.bin) with the information needed to lock the harddisk again.

If you connect the harddisk to a computer, you should be able to read it's contents with the xplorer360 program.

make_iso_win is the command used to create the xboxhdm iso. You can burn that iso on a cd'r, and you will end up with a bootable disk ***for your pc***. You can't use that disk in your xbox. Xboxhdm is a boot from cd linux distribution with options to prepare a disk for use in the xbox. One of the options is locking the harddisk.

If you can't find the xbox eeprom.bin, you have 2 options.

1. Build an eeprom reader to get that file.
2. Temporary install a modchip in your xbox so that it boots with an unlocked harddisk.

regards.

#895 treasureden

treasureden

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:17 AM

I'm trying to use this tool to make a HDD for my modded Xbox. When booting from the CD, I pick option 1 to build a xbox hdd. Then I type in xboxhd, however there's a problem. It seems like this tool detect HDD from IDE channel 0, which is the primary master. My motherboard have only one IDE and it's set to channel 4. So this tool won't detect my HDD, it say "No disk drive found on /dev/hda (primary master). Is there a way around this? Like telling the tool to use the HDD in IDE channel 4.

#896 BloodWolf1134

BloodWolf1134

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:20 AM

Ok, I apparently did something Stupid. I was trying to send the contents of one Xbox HD to the new HD for my other 360, and it says the HD was formatted and no longer shows up as a Microsoft Xbox Storage device.

Any help for this?

~~BW

#897 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:18 AM

Ok, I apparently did something Stupid.

Like bringing up a two year old topic in Xbox 1 forums when you have a problem with your 360?

Try going into the System settings and format the HD on the Xbox. That should get it back to where you can use it.

In the future, back up what you have before you start copying files over. That will save you a lot of headaches.

Also, check which forum you are in before posting a question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users