EZYESS57

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 22 April 2004 - 11:15 PM

I edited BIOS with XBtool and applied the LBA48 patch and installed it. Booted Slayers disc, and selected (2) backup c:/ eeprom?, rebooted the box then selected rebuild new large hdd *c*. Once completed, my 200 gb hdd was now showing 191 gb instead of the original 137 before the patch. I began ftping my games back to the hdd. Everything seemed O.K. games booted and played as usual, emulators were running o.k. Shut off the box, went up town, came home, booted xbox, no dashboard. It stalled on the x logo screen for a few mins. then gives me a error 7 (hdd timeout) Have i screwed my hdd? Have i some how corrupted the data? I thought if i selected the rebuild it would totally reformat the drive. Or is this just a case of a p.o.s. hdd (thats what i suspect).

#2 hockeyguy

hockeyguy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 23 April 2004 - 12:56 AM

... Just curious what kind of piece of $hit hdd did you buy, or is it an ex-pc hdd?

#3 xbill

xbill

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 03:06 AM

...just curious, how is calling any 200 GB hdd a piece of $hit helpful?

All 200 GB hard drives are 7200 RPM, most have 8MB cache, and are
at least ATA 100.

I'd say any 200 GB hard drive, whether or not it came from a pc, is NOT
a piece of $hit.

#4 justtaint

justtaint

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 April 2004 - 03:54 PM

make sure the power and ide cables and securely fastened to the back of the drive.

#5 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Interests:Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. Disk space.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 23 April 2004 - 03:58 PM

Ive done this. Ive played with the innards of my boxes so much the psu wires became loose and got 7. Turn it on, then listen for the drive to start spinning, if it doesnt, just start wiggling the psu wires and see if you hear it. I bet thats it.

#6 EZYESS57

EZYESS57

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 23 April 2004 - 06:10 PM

Ive verified the power and IDE cables were good by plugging in my original 8 gb hdd. The reason Im calling it a piece of $hit is because I suspect I was sold a used drive. The company I bought the drive from wouldnt give me a warrany if I opened the static bag. The manager said that he couldnt sell it as new if it was opened. Got the drive home opened it and soon after realized that there was another sticker underneath the sticker I had broken the seal on. Hence, Someone had already returned the drive and all the company did was stick a new sticker carefully on top of the one with the broken seal. Also, every game i backed up to the 200 gb hdd and tried to play would lock up mid game. So since it has crapped out, i've reinstalled the original 8 gb hdd and rebuilt it with Slayers. Since then every game ive copied to the hdd (only been able to do 1 or 2 at a time) has played perfect. So does it seem that I have bought a P.O.S. drive or that I some how corrupted the data. WD220, xenium, xenium os 1.1, evox d6 something, and evox 3921 something?

B.T.W. WD offers am advanced replacement for my drive under a warranty for this product unitl 2006. And even if I dont send them the bad 200 gb hdd they will only bill my credit card for $149. Thats about $80 less than what I paid for it.

#7 hockeyguy

hockeyguy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 23 April 2004 - 07:16 PM

I cant give you a definitive answer, but it sounds like they sold you a PO$. That crap about not being able to take it back due to static bag being opened is shite too. Did you get it from a reputable place? If you are dead set on keeping it/stuck with it, you could always install it in your computer, format/zero it and run some diagnostics on it see if there are large parts that are corrupt.

I would say that 200 gig hdd just might be a PO$ tongue.gif (Sorry I know that comment doesnt help laugh.gif )

I think as always, although limited, you do have some options.

good luck. beerchug.gif

#8 justtaint

justtaint

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 April 2004 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (EZYESS57 @ Apr 23 2004, 02:10 PM)
B.T.W. WD offers am advanced replacement for my drive under a warranty for this product unitl 2006. And even if I dont send them the bad 200 gb hdd they will only bill my credit card for $149. Thats about $80 less than what I paid for it.

Or slightly downgrade to a 160GB. Compusa has them for $60 after rebate, or Newegg has some for $93 shipped free no rebate to mess with.

#9 SwissMoose

SwissMoose

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 12:43 PM

I was getting very similar errors, although mine was also sometimes doing that thing where it tries to boot three times and then you get the green/red flashing and error 7 again. Also it will sometime just freeze while running and I sometimes get it stalling at the Xbox logo as you do. I have now tried two different power supplies with this Xbox (Delta and Fox-something). When the factory HD is in there all the problems just stop.

So I finally figured that the new HD isn't getting enough power. I had a spare PC powersupply so I put the paperclip in that to get the PSU to stay on giving power to the WD200 HD (just connect a green and any black cable). It now works perfectly EVERY TIME, been running it this way for a couple weeks without issues. Still is a pain running with the top off, but at least I know that the drive works. I bet your drive is fine, it just needs more power.

I think that this issue is a combination of underpowered 1.0-1.1 PSU's and the higher power requirements of the WD200 7200rpm 8MB drives. But I don't have a 1.2 or later XBOX to test that with. Good luck man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users