No replies to this topic

#1 GSBS

GSBS

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 01:54 AM

Well, I paniced last weekend, and did a horrible install job. If you are 16, and have no experience with soldering, don't start with an Xbox Mod job. Words of wisdom, I suppose.

After cooling down from the anger of the screw-up, I'm trying to fix the mess-up. Previously, I got strange signals from the box. Every so often, when I booted the box, I got the Cromwell Bios page, sometimes I got a screen full of red lines, but often got a double reboot to FRAG.

So, I assumed it was the case of a sloppy soldering job. After using http://xbox-scene.co...es/lpc-diag.php as a reference for points numbers, and an ohm multimeter, I got these results.

Point 15 showed no signs of anything when touching it, and another pin-header point. During the soldering job, the 15 pin-header was pushed in, almost flush with the motherboard, with a square patch of soldering around it. I assumed this was the cause of the FRAGing, but before I fix this, I'd like a little more confirmation.

All pin-header point combinations read with high readings, beyond one. I don't have much experience with electronics, so I'm depending on you guys to give me the info on what this means.

The exception noted above, point 16 and 2, showed a low reading, near 0.

The guide I used in reference noted that continuity will show up as 0 on the ohm reader. I also recall that during installation, none of the points should touch each other. So, by connecting two and two, I came to a conclusion that ALL of the points should read high on the meter. But, 16 and 2 are too far apart to have made a connection, leading me to believe that they all shared a trace, but only 16/2's was salvaged.

So, can anyone help a dumb nub like myself? Sorry for the long read, but I didn't want to leave much out that could help me fix this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users