6 replies to this topic

#1 dkoikadabra

dkoikadabra

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 29 December 2002 - 11:53 AM

Alright, I looked all over for the answer to this question, but found no answer. So, I ask in my favorate forums (here).
As I understand, in order for a program to utilize the power of a Beowulf cluster, you need access to the source (not hard with most Linux software) and you must modify said code to do parell (sp?) processing (hard for me). I was wondering, is there a release of any Windows emulator for Linux that utilizes the protocol for parell (sp?) processing that a Beowulf cluster would use?
It'd be nice if I could build a cheap, fast computing system that has Windows emulated on it, thinking that the cluster is, say, a 6GHz system. Be real cool to use between cracking algorithms for reward money. =-)
Speaking of which, anyone know of a single web site that has news of rewardable algorithm cracks? Kind of like an X-S for the enterprising cracker. =-)

#2 dkoikadabra

dkoikadabra

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 08:56 AM

I bumped this up. Cheer for me as I charge into battle with the one-armed Mutants From Planet Z!

#3 feflicker

feflicker

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 December 2002 - 07:01 PM

Hmm. I have a Grendel Cluster at home... Maybe I can help jester.gif

#4 dkoikadabra

dkoikadabra

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 09:18 AM

Grendel? As long as it does paraell (sp) processing, and it doesn't run a cluster like MOSIX, it's fine!
You got the answer to the question, tho? As said, it'd be a cool idea.

#5 gainpresence

gainpresence

11 herbs and spices

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,971 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 31 December 2002 - 09:21 AM

What? Parell, Paraell? do you perhaps mean Parallel?

#6 echto

echto

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 31 December 2002 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (dkoikadabra @ Dec 29 2002, 02:53 AM)
Alright, I looked all over for the answer to this question, but found no answer. So, I ask in my favorate forums (here).
As I understand, in order for a program to utilize the power of a Beowulf cluster, you need access to the source (not hard with most Linux software) and you must modify said code to do parell (sp?) processing (hard for me). I was wondering, is there a release of any Windows emulator  for Linux that utilizes the protocol for parell (sp?) processing that a Beowulf cluster would use?
It'd be nice if I could build a cheap, fast computing system that has Windows emulated on it, thinking that the cluster is, say, a 6GHz system. Be real cool to use between cracking algorithms for reward money. =-)
Speaking of which, anyone know of a single web site that has news of rewardable algorithm cracks? Kind of like an X-S for the enterprising cracker. =-)

Sure you need the source but don't forget your going to need a compilier as well. I'm not talking the good'ole stock gcc. biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

Edited by echto, 31 December 2002 - 10:40 AM.

#7 dkoikadabra

dkoikadabra

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 11:09 AM

What compiler would you suggest, then?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users