Photo

X2:Lite Success Rate

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: how did the install with either the wires or header go

how did the install with either the wires or header go

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kreepa13

Kreepa13

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 08:47 PM

if you messed up your install then if you want state what happened.

Edited by Kreepa13, 30 December 2002 - 08:48 PM.

#2 Madman

Madman

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 09:08 PM

Why this thread? Are there issues with tthis mod chip?

#3 Kreepa13

Kreepa13

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 09:55 PM

so far i have heard good results and bad but i wanted what is the success rate cuz i don't know what kind of install i should go for wires or the header.

#4 andreo

andreo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 12:41 AM

Actually I tried both. I needed to get "something" from an Xbox that I "borrowed" so I installed the chip into the first xbox using the wires. Very quick took all of 5 minutes or so. Then I took it out and put it into my system with the pin header. Took longer but 1) I had to remove the solder from the pin locations. 2) I put the header in using the hard way. Instead of taking the board out and soldering the pins in from the bottom, I left just enough room to get under the plastic and solderded them in that way.
Anyway, the install went off without a hitch and worked fine the first time, both times.

Oh, and the second install took some extra time to drill a hole and wire up the on/off switch also.

#5 rj28

rj28

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 01:09 AM

Two different boxes (although I can only vote once) - here's where I got:

First off, I'm a good solderer. Long time experimenter with electronics, so I didn't make some rookie mistake.

In the first box, I tried the header pins. Nothing doing - and ultimately, from fiddling too much with the connection, I managed to lift the trace on d0.

In the second box (which was a 1.1), I installed the wire adapter. Went in very smoothly - all of 5 minutes. Checked and double checked all connections. When I was done, tried to boot - no dice. Booting the retail BIOS only.

I'm starting to firmly believe the chips I got were bad. Since they have no LED or visual indicator, and I've double checked the continuity so many times on the second install (which still boots the retail BIOS just fine), I'm left to believe the chips I got were no good, unless someone can give me further troubleshooting tips (I've checked the voltages on the LPC connector, and they all match).

Sum up - two attempts, no success.

Edit - oh, and do yourself a favor. If in doubt, use the wires connector. Since you can connect/disconnect easily, there's no advantage to the header pin option, and it's FAR easier to install the wires.

Edited by rj28, 31 December 2002 - 01:10 AM.

#6 Satan00

Satan00

PimpMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 31 December 2002 - 01:10 AM

the chip is great
i installed a wires adapter on a v1.0 with an alt-d0 on a friends xbox, took a while cuz we had some confusion with the alternate d0 thinking we had to do an alternate ground, but it was all good
great chip smile.gif

#7 nfmus

nfmus

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 04:14 PM

25W iron.

No flux available.

Wires method on v1.1 with solder in LPC. Did not use my solder except for d0

Topside d0 point.

3 minutes of soldering. (Not that it's a race.)

Happy as a sailor with a bag of dicks.

#8 MegaViper

MegaViper

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 05:04 PM

I installed the X2L on a 1.1 version with the supplied wires and had no trouble with the install, it was fast and worked great, then I mounted the X2L to the sidewall just like the pic shows and put the cover back on the box after I tested it and it was working fine, but after I put the cover back on about a hour later I got boot up problems, so I took the cover back off resoldered D0 like 3 times testing and testing with the cover off and on. then I said screw it and soldered D0 on the backside and I still had the same problems.

Then I finally sumized every time I put the cover back on it would stop working but with the cover off it worked, wierd eh? Well come to figure out that the mounting of the chip to the side metal grating wasn't cutting it, or actually it was cutting it, the DVD ROM plastic holder was pushing against the chip and I thought it was bending the chip and broke a trace or something but it was that it was pushing against the chip so hard that the soldering points on the backside of the chip where pushing threw the sticker mount and grounding out on the metal grating, well great at least it was all figured out, well I removed the chip after some careful prying and sumized that the PICTURE they show can't work since the new chip design has the bend jumper leads and it doesn't fit to the top of the plastic holder cause the bottom of the plastic holder hits the header pin block.

So needless to say find another mounting spot and don't use the picture as a guide, your chip may work now but if its pushing against the header block it will eventually cut threw the sticker backing and ground out on the chips sharp backside soldier points. Well all that just for a little sticker mounting problem!! hehe but at least I may save some people the hassle or help you guys figure out a problem if you are having one. HAVE FUN!!! biggrin.gif

Edited by MegaViper, 31 December 2002 - 05:05 PM.

#9 Kreepa13

Kreepa13

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 05:08 PM

so far the installs using the wires have been more successfull on both v1.0 and v1.1. I thought that pin header would be popular on v1.1s and the wires on v1.0s.

#10 andreo

andreo

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 06:29 PM

I think the only reason I did the pin header install on my console was if I needed to use the chip in another console. Since I didn't want to try to hunt down another set of wire connectors and the wire install is so fast and easy I set the wires aside for future needs. However, I was very temped to use the wires instead of desoldering holes and the other crap involved with the pin header.

#11 killzone

killzone

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 06:37 PM

Used the Header pins, and had little problem, D0 was a bit harder rolleyes.gif , soldered it on top point, all is working well very happy

#12 Kreepa13

Kreepa13

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 03:15 AM

anyone else???

#13 gamerx

gamerx

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 07:04 AM

3 boxes and MANY hours later...it worked! Here it goes..... 1st no flux at RS so I tried it without. Mistake, lifted solder point off bottom d0 and couldn't get it to stick to topside (yep, noob with shit for soldering skills). Next box, got flux, desoldering braid and desoldering bulb, desoldering braid worked for shit and bulb matched performance of braid. Couldn't get that damn braid to lift any solder at all so while trying to burn that solder out with the gun and use the bulb to get it out, lifted trace on board, somehow, don't ask me how (at least I think thats what I did because from the bottom it looked like a trace and when i moved it back, it fell off). SO I put the header in anyhow and the box would work normal but not with mod selected on. NOW, the next day with yet another box (don't ask if I own many or what the deal is with these rolleyes.gif ), i used the wire adapter which I didn't want to do because I didn't trust my skills to solder it on, but again I couldn't get that goddamn header back out of that other shithole box. So anyhow, get home, open the box, and within 15 minutes I am done! If I had just went with the wire adapter the first time, I would have saved myself a big pain in the ass. Any noob putting one in should shit can those pin headers, just solder the wires (it is so easy) and save yourself the hassle. Finally works, love it, gonna go play..... beerchug.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users