Edited by Kreepa13, 30 December 2002 - 08:48 PM.
X2:Lite Success Rate
Posted 30 December 2002 - 08:47 PM
Posted 30 December 2002 - 09:08 PM
Posted 30 December 2002 - 09:55 PM
Posted 31 December 2002 - 12:41 AM
Anyway, the install went off without a hitch and worked fine the first time, both times.
Oh, and the second install took some extra time to drill a hole and wire up the on/off switch also.
Posted 31 December 2002 - 01:09 AM
First off, I'm a good solderer. Long time experimenter with electronics, so I didn't make some rookie mistake.
In the first box, I tried the header pins. Nothing doing - and ultimately, from fiddling too much with the connection, I managed to lift the trace on d0.
In the second box (which was a 1.1), I installed the wire adapter. Went in very smoothly - all of 5 minutes. Checked and double checked all connections. When I was done, tried to boot - no dice. Booting the retail BIOS only.
I'm starting to firmly believe the chips I got were bad. Since they have no LED or visual indicator, and I've double checked the continuity so many times on the second install (which still boots the retail BIOS just fine), I'm left to believe the chips I got were no good, unless someone can give me further troubleshooting tips (I've checked the voltages on the LPC connector, and they all match).
Sum up - two attempts, no success.
Edit - oh, and do yourself a favor. If in doubt, use the wires connector. Since you can connect/disconnect easily, there's no advantage to the header pin option, and it's FAR easier to install the wires.
Edited by rj28, 31 December 2002 - 01:10 AM.
Posted 31 December 2002 - 01:10 AM
i installed a wires adapter on a v1.0 with an alt-d0 on a friends xbox, took a while cuz we had some confusion with the alternate d0 thinking we had to do an alternate ground, but it was all good
Posted 31 December 2002 - 04:14 PM
No flux available.
Wires method on v1.1 with solder in LPC. Did not use my solder except for d0
Topside d0 point.
3 minutes of soldering. (Not that it's a race.)
Happy as a sailor with a bag of dicks.
Posted 31 December 2002 - 05:04 PM
Then I finally sumized every time I put the cover back on it would stop working but with the cover off it worked, wierd eh? Well come to figure out that the mounting of the chip to the side metal grating wasn't cutting it, or actually it was cutting it, the DVD ROM plastic holder was pushing against the chip and I thought it was bending the chip and broke a trace or something but it was that it was pushing against the chip so hard that the soldering points on the backside of the chip where pushing threw the sticker mount and grounding out on the metal grating, well great at least it was all figured out, well I removed the chip after some careful prying and sumized that the PICTURE they show can't work since the new chip design has the bend jumper leads and it doesn't fit to the top of the plastic holder cause the bottom of the plastic holder hits the header pin block.
So needless to say find another mounting spot and don't use the picture as a guide, your chip may work now but if its pushing against the header block it will eventually cut threw the sticker backing and ground out on the chips sharp backside soldier points. Well all that just for a little sticker mounting problem!! hehe but at least I may save some people the hassle or help you guys figure out a problem if you are having one. HAVE FUN!!!
Edited by MegaViper, 31 December 2002 - 05:05 PM.
Posted 31 December 2002 - 05:08 PM
Posted 31 December 2002 - 06:29 PM
Posted 31 December 2002 - 06:37 PM
Posted 02 January 2003 - 07:04 AM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users