#18 G0rd0z1||a

G0rd0z1||a

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 12 July 2004 - 03:03 PM

I was having issues even after going through all my skin.inis and verifiying each was correct per the 2 great posts (chefelf and KleptoMod) in this thread. So I did some experimenting. What I found was quite surprising.

When I loaded up the following skins: blackbolt, blackbolt console, blackbolt_elite, and blackbolt_S. Blackbolt console would always load as the default evox skin. If I deleted blackbolt console, then blackbolt would load as the default evox skin. When I deleted blackbolt, the skin above it alphabeticly in the skin menu would load as a default. This went on and on until I was left with the Orignal skin at the top and all the skins below blackbolt_elite aphabeticly being fine. When I loaded the skins back up minus the two blackbolt skins (blackbolt and blackbolt console) all the skins worked pefectly. Adding the 2 blackbolt skin back re-created the problem I was having earlier. Even adding just 1 of the skins back caused the issue.

Conclusion: Somehow having more then 2 skins with the first 9 letters/character being the same, causes some kind of directory error. At least in my case this seems true. I have since added other skins and they worked fine.

This was done with Evox + 3935, X2 4983.67 and a Xecuter 2.3b lite+ chip.

Maybe this will be of some use to others. If anyone else can confirm this on their xbox, please do so. If anyone else has posted on this I haven't seen it, (nor did I really go looking). I just did this for the hell of it. rolleyes.gif

#19 Evil Ryu

Evil Ryu

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 02:16 AM

I'll have to check into that G0rd0z1||a. Because the problem I'm having is mostly with the Blackbolt skins (I've also got a few of them as well). You might be onto something...

Can anyone else confirm this?

#20 G0rd0z1||a

G0rd0z1||a

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 02:37 AM

Ok I did some more testing...

My little experiment started with verifying that every skin worked prior to starting. All 20 skins worked.

Next I edited 4 different skin inis. I used the following skins: ArcX, Armageddon, Armageddon Widescreen, and AtomGuy. I renamed them As follows ArcX = Armageddon1, and AtomGuy = Armageddon2. The others stayed the same. The Skin inis were also updated to relect the changes.

So.... Now I have 4 test skins with the first 10 characters being the same. Next these 4 skins were added to the skin folder on my xbox. Rebooted and... They all worked. uhh.gif
So this disproved my earlier attempt to figure this damn thing out.

So I then removed the 4 test skins. Since I already had Blackbolt Console and blackbolt_S loaded I decided to test it again with these skins. So I added blackbolt and blackbolt_elite to the mix. Rebooted... and blackbolt loads as the default Evox skin. blink.gif So now I'm wondering if its something specific the blackbolt skins I have. Yes I checked the ini file to make sure it was correct. And when I deleted just the blackbolt skin a different skin, named X OSX, loaded up as the default skin. Only minutes before it had worked, prior to deleting the blackbolt skin. (Whenever I changed something I went through all the skins to verify functionality).

In order to fix this I deleted all my skins, rebooted, and added all my favorites minus blackbolt and blackbolt_elite. Every single skin worked.

So I will be focusing in on these four specific skins: blackbolt, Blackbolt Console, blackbolt_elite, and blackbolt_S. I think renaming and adjusting the inis will solve it. If someone else has time, lets get some independent confirmation here. I hope this leads somewhere. Damn wild goose chases. smile.gif

#21 Evil Ryu

Evil Ryu

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:50 AM

Nice work G0rd0z1||a... it seems as though you might be onto something. I haven't had the time to mess around with it, but I had changed my red blackbolt skin (which would only boot on some machines) from blackbolt_console_red to blackbolt_red and it seems to work just fine so far (I'm actually using it as the default skin on my EvoX boot disc). So that might have helped... dunno...

If anyone else that has been having this problem can confirm whether they've been using the Blackbolt skins, it would certainly help to narrow things down. But I can't see what the heck would be so different about the Blackbolt skins that would cause this (I've gone through the ini files a billion times!).

#22 G0rd0z1||a

G0rd0z1||a

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:12 AM

Ok here is what I found... After deleting all my skins I loaded in the following: Blackbolt, Blackbolt Console, blackbolt_S and blackbolt_elite. This caused blackbolt to load the default skin. So I deleted them all rebooted and loaded blackbolt by itself. Rebooted selected blackbolt as a skin... tadah worked. So I know its not the skin. Load all four back in and blackbolt loads with the default. So I'm back at square 1.

In keeping variables to a minimum I continue to use the same four test subjects. This time I rename each to something similar to the original name but not quite.
Blackbolt = Boltb; Blackbolt Console = Blackconsole; blackbolt_elite = elite blackbolt; and blackbolt_S = Sblackbolt. Each ini was changed to match. Alone BoltB loaded fine. BoltB + Blackconsole = ok. BoltB + Blackconsole + elite blackbolt = Boltb loading as default skin. This is beyond me in terms of explaining it. Without a confirmation from another member I'm forced to assume its some bug associated with my specific hardware/software. Since I like the Blackbolt Console better then blackbolt I'll use that with blackbolt_S and not blackbolt_elite. Those two have the extra details anyways and using them together has not caused one skin to screw up. I hope this has been productive in some manner. As for me, I have a problem free box that I can live with. smile.gif

#23 G0rd0z1||a

G0rd0z1||a

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:17 AM

QUOTE (Evil Ryu)
If anyone else that has been having this problem can confirm whether they've been using the Blackbolt skins, it would certainly help to narrow things down. But I can't see what the heck would be so different about the Blackbolt skins that would cause this (I've gone through the ini files a billion times!).

I did the same thing. I know the skins work individually but not when more then a couple get togehter. Very strange.....

But like I said, I can live with my answer, hopefully someone else will be spared a headache or two.

#24 BadBeatBasti

BadBeatBasti

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 03 August 2004 - 08:57 AM

Nice work G0rd0z1||a!!! You really put some work into it! Your testing gave me an idea. What if the problem ist not the name of the skin, but name of the picture! I will test it and see if anything is happening! By the way, it seems like the blackbold skins are the trouble makers!!!

#25 Greven

Greven

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 August 2004 - 06:18 AM

Ok, brand new here, so please, slap me if this is a stupid question, but I FTPed to my xbox, and after reading about problems with skins, I decided that I should download them all, and delete them on the box, and try one at a time to find the problem. So I deleted all the skin folders in c:/Skin, and yet I reboot, and they are all still there. I disconnected and reconnected through the ftp, definitely not there, but... I dunno, is there an alternate place that it may be, or a way for me to check where the system is set for skins?

I'm using evolutionX version 3935

Edited by Greven, 07 August 2004 - 07:13 AM.

#26 QDaddy

QDaddy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 08:01 PM

I had the exact same problem. I tried it with FlashFXP on my pc and Fetch on my Mac. The little buggers just would not delete. I finally used boxplorer and got rid of them.

I was using a homegrown skin on my previous version, but now it will not work on 35. I don't know what's going on, but it just won't show up.

#27 thevisibleman05

thevisibleman05

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 04:03 AM

I have a skin that ends in .xbp, how do I get it to work on evox???

#28 crazyfox

crazyfox

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 01 September 2004 - 11:42 PM

i dont see a skin folder in my c drive when i ftp it i have evox 3935 with the m8 bios but when i go in to launch evox and go to system utilis then there is a skin folder with the original in it but i dont see it when i ftp it to my pc all my folders come up i just cant find the skin folder

#29 arzme

arzme

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 03:20 AM

I had Evo X 3935 using font hack softmod (no-chip mod)(had it done by someone). Had the same problem of not able to choose Skin in the System Utils in Evo X Dash but able to solve it.

I found out that my Evo.ini & evoxdash.xbe is in E\newdash directory instead of c\. Thus i create the skin folder in E\newdash\skin\ and dump the new skins inside. And it works.

#30 silentstorm16

silentstorm16

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 04:09 AM

What's going on guys i tried all that stuff you said to do and i stil cant get my skin to show on my dash... I think it's my menu.ini but hey maybe you guys can be the judge. Oh yeah I'm using evox i have xecuter 2.6 lite and used 4983 bios. thanks guys hopefully i can do it do it

#tDoBIOS=1,
#tDoFlashBIOS=2,
#tDoDash=3,
#tDoLaunchMenu=4,
#tDoReboot=5,
#tDoNetwork=6,
#tDoHarddisk=7,
#tDoLaunch=8,

Section "Root"
{
Item "MS Dashboard",@3
Item "Reboot",@5