12 replies to this topic

#1 iamttam

iamttam

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 06 May 2004 - 10:43 PM

I've got plenty of cat5 cable laying around. 1 ft. of cat5 equals 8 feet of wire, and it's cheap. I've used it for plenty of things before, and I am starting to really mod my case and I want to know if I should use actual stranded wire or if I will be okay with standard cat5. Does anyone have any experience with this before?

Thanks

#2 cueball13

cueball13

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 11:02 PM

It'll work fine, I use it all the time. As an added bonus, if you're running several wires it's presleeved.

Edited by cueball13, 06 May 2004 - 11:03 PM.

#3 deviation56

deviation56

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 11:43 PM

Well it really depends what your using it for, but cat5 generally works out fine in most situations seeing as its a pretty thin wire...

#4 IITangoCrazy

IITangoCrazy

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 12:51 AM

Cat 5 wire isint that high gague it is just like a bunch of wires running together. it will work fine.

#5 snakeboarder

snakeboarder

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 203 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 07 May 2004 - 01:05 AM

cat 5 is high gauge because its high number is small wire

I have 4 gauge in my car for power wire on my amp and its the size of a dime or so. Just the one wire.

#6 iamttam

iamttam

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 02:07 AM

Thanks, and I was talking about each individual wire, not the 8 combined. It's great because you get 8 high-gauge wires that are easy to form and maneuver.

Thanks all! beerchug.gif

#7 iLLNESS

iLLNESS

X-S Genius

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:computers, video games, my gf, movies, drinking
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 May 2004 - 02:12 AM

stranded wire blows

the only advantage to stranded is it doesnt break as easily and its more flexible

#8 OpEnUpYoUrEyE

OpEnUpYoUrEyE

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 May 2004 - 02:16 AM

I have 00 in my car biggrin.gif Its about the size of a quarter! lol

#9 thomes08

thomes08

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts
  • Interests:XBOX! HOCKEY! POT AND SHROOMS! BEER!

Posted 07 May 2004 - 02:48 AM

i heard that for the cat5 when you make em yourself, if the wires aren't in a certain order it won't work right. I didn't believe it when i read it but then my friend made his wires for his house and told me he had to redo the ones that weren't in the right order. Both ends had the same order but it wasn't the same order as the directions say to put them in. Why is this so?

thomes08

#10 Protonus

Protonus

X-S Young Member

• XS-BANNED
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 10 May 2004 - 02:36 AM

QUOTE (thomes08 @ May 7 2004, 04:48 AM)
i heard that for the cat5 when you make em yourself, if the wires aren't in a certain order it won't work right.  I didn't believe it when i read it but then my friend made his wires for his house and told me he had to redo the ones that weren't in the right order.  Both ends had the same order but it wasn't the same order as the directions say to put them in.  Why is this so?

thomes08

First off want to say I use Cat5e for ALL my xbox internal wiring. It's great stuff, high copper content, easily manipulated and soldered to, plus you get 8 colors to work with!

Though your post has nothing to do with what this post was about I'll give you a brief answer since I'm such a swell guy ;-)
Cat5 is a twisted pair wire, which means, there are 4 set's of 2 wires each, twisted together. 2 of the pairs have more twists then the other two. The reason for the twists is to cut down on interference along the wire, by twisting the data lines with dead (open) wires you cut down on noise allowing for cleaner transmissions at higher speeds over longer differences. In a Cat5 network cable, only 4 of the lines are actually used for data, the rest are open. If you do not terminate the ends correctly in the right order, you lose the twisted pair effect because the wires are not twisted correctly with the right ones! IF you use a really short imporperly made cable, it may work but over longer distances you will lose your 100 megabit speeds (or your gigabit speeds for those of us that are super lucky) and it will probobly only run at 10 megabit, if you are lucky. To ensure that you wire the ends correctly to take advantage of the twisted pair effect, there are two "standards" for wiring Cat5 ends for network, "568 A" and "568 B". Most people wire to B, which is what most patch cables are, although, wiring wise, if both ends are A, it'll work exactly the same (still takes advantage of the correct pairs). If you wire one end as A, and the other end as B, you get a crossover cable, which allows you to hook up two devices (like two computers, or two xboxes, etc), without using a hub/switch.

Hope this explains it ;-)

Edited by Protonus, 10 May 2004 - 02:43 AM.

#11 iz3r

iz3r

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 03:39 AM

Any wire is fine. I used an antenna from an RC race car for wire. Yes sad, but it still works.

#12 WaRnINg|

WaRnINg|

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 10 May 2004 - 03:41 PM

Dam and to think that i went to RadioShack to buy some wire when i got a whole bunch of RJ45 cables in my house..

#13 photoman

photoman

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 03:58 PM

I use solid-core phone wire for alot of my wiring. It is really stiff, which is a pain in the ass sometimes, but easy to use all the same. I have so much phone line lying around I just use it. I am working on the internal DVD dongle mod and just heated the wire and pushed it right through the holes on the dongle's PCB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users