• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kcolbe

kcolbe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 10:18 AM

So I took the plunge...I went out, bought an xbox, modchip, router, spent ENDLESS hours to date learning all the software involved and bought a DVD burner.....BUT it's a DVD+RW.

Most of the time I have spent online has been researching what the xbox will read and wont read and I have been looking for a difference between +RW and -RW but I can't find anything. I know the basics about the differences in these formats BUT, what is the actual difference when it comes to what that little laser in the xbox can read and can't read? None? A little? Does it depend on the media brand and that's it? There has to be a better science for this.

The only thing I can find about media types in all these forums is what brand to choose for DVD-R/RW. I have been in many forums and have found several people saying that they heard of people being able to make a DVD+RW backup....but how is it done?

So far, I have followed all the tutorials, pulled a perfect, verified image from my xbox D drive, created an Iso with gdfimage and burned it to a DVD+RW with RecordNow following every single tip provided in the materials I have read but, the disc can't be read in my xbox. Is DVD-RW the safest way to go or do I have to just keep trying different media brands? I have only tried Imation DVD+RW media for now...just not looking forward to trying every brand out there. are there ANY DVD+RW fans out there that can give me some helpful hints on what THEY have found? What brands are good? Is the laser more picky about the DVD+RW format? Please help! I can't even exchange my DVD burner for the dual suited Sony model either since I have thrown away the packaging I received it in sad.gif

#2 kcolbe

kcolbe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 10:23 AM

P.S. I have tried 6 times with 2 seperate titles (all using Imation DVD+RW media at the slowest speed possible) and none of them were readable by the Xbox -- even after ejecting and re-inserting disk 5 times each.

#3 xboxing

xboxing

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 10:52 AM

well, it might pay to have a look at the dvd drive in your xbox and see which one it is...... unfortunatly if it is a phillips you may be barking up the wrong tree as i have HEARD that this won't play dvd+rw (i'm not sure, i have a dvd-rw drive)

or else, you could spend that time that you were reserving for trying every type of media, and spend it on finding the box your writer came in, then go get a sony or pioneer.

sorry my news/input couldn't be more positive.

#4 rockwaldo

rockwaldo

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 11:55 AM

I have a 1.1 with a correctly alligned matrix......samsung drive - and my DVD+R/RW disks work fine, as do any media actually...even crappy silver non-branded CDRs.....smile.gif

#5 mickey123

mickey123

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 01:15 PM

try different brand disks

#6 Wong Hung Lo

Wong Hung Lo

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Interests:Modding my Sampo DVD players,Tivo, ReplayTV and my Xbox.<br /><br />Being a soldering elitists :)
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 31 December 2002 - 01:18 PM

Take the burner back and go by a Cendyne (Pioneer) burner ar Office Max for $169.99 after the $50 rebate. I bought one.

#7 kcolbe

kcolbe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 08:55 PM

Well I verified that is IS indeed the phillips drive in my xbox. Has ANYONE had a Phillips read a DVD+RW before? Anyone?

#8 kcolbe

kcolbe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 09:46 PM

NEW NEWS FOR ME! I had the SAME problem, I burned about 6 copies of the same iso on DVD+RW but my xbox with the philips drive would not see them!

So I went shopping for some new media and thought....what better media than Philips DVD+RW discs, when I tried it with this media, my philips drive will read the disc

I only had to try it once and it worked, I'm going to try burning another iso to see if it works again but all signs look good. I have a TDK DVD+RW burner, and my game was burned at 2.4 times.

#9 kcolbe

kcolbe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 10:12 PM

Just made another! DVD+RW is just fine with the new philips drive when using Philips media! Have fun all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users