<bookmark>
<name>PC Drive E</name>
<path>smb://192.168.0.1/PC Drive E/</path>
</bookmark>
<bookmark>
<name>PC Drive F</name>
<path>smb://192.168.0.1/F/</path>
</bookmark>

but when I try to access the drive, I get the following message :- Error, Invalid handle

But using the same technique, I can share the root of a PC hardrive or folder but not the DVD drives themselves. I have searched the SMB forums and there were a couple of people who also had the same problems but, alas, no one came to their aid.

Is it possible to share PC DVD drives on XBMC SMB? If so, pray tell all please.

#2 bobbyblaze

bobbyblaze

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 07:21 PM

Anyone???

#3 nimbles

nimbles

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • Interests:Student, Mathematical Finance.<br>Most sports, footbal (Arsenal fan), cricket &amp; rugby<br>Movie Junkie.
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 09 May 2004 - 07:52 PM

it is possible- i use the computer name rather than the ip, but thats more cos i'm on a dhcp network so my pc ip can change every so often

only thing i can think of is the share name isn't matched up correctly- you are using the "share name", possibly also could be the fact u got spaces in the share name.

this is my one and it works

<bookmark>
<name>DVD-Rom Drive on PC</name>
<path>smb://My-Computer/DVD</path>
</bookmark>

share name's DVD (obviously tongue.gif )

Edited by nimbles, 09 May 2004 - 07:53 PM.

#4 ripcurl

ripcurl

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (bobbyblaze @ May 9 2004, 07:45 PM)
Hi,

I've tried to set up a share on my PC drives with the following:-

<bookmark>
<name>PC Drive E</name>
<path>smb://192.168.0.1/PC Drive E/</path>
</bookmark>
<bookmark>
<name>PC Drive F</name>
<path>smb://192.168.0.1/F/</path>
</bookmark>

but when I try to access the drive, I get the following message :- Error, Invalid handle

But using the same technique, I can share the root of a PC hardrive or folder but not the DVD drives themselves. I have searched the SMB forums and there were a couple of people who also had the same problems but, alas, no one came to their aid.

Is it possible to share PC DVD drives on XBMC SMB? If so, pray tell all please.

get rid of the slash on the end.....unlike dvd2xbox

<bookmark>
<name>PC Drive E</name>
<path>smb://192.168.0.1/PC Drive E/</path> = wrong
</bookmark>

<bookmark>
<name>PC Drive E</name>
<path>smb://192.168.0.1/PC Drive E</path> = correct
</bookmark>

#5 bobbyblaze

bobbyblaze

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 08:26 PM

Many thanks for the time and the replies, guys. I'm now happpily skipping to the xbox to try it out. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

thanks again for being good sports

#6 bobbyblaze

bobbyblaze

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 08:36 PM

Curses! Getting rid of the last slash didn't work! If the friendly folk are watching and would do anything to help rather than see a fellow XS member suffer, here's the video part of my XBMC.xml :-

<!-- my video shares !-->
<video>
<default></default>
<bookmark>
<name>Xbox Movies</name>
<path>E:\Movies</path>
</bookmark>

<bookmark>
<name>D-XBoxDVD</name>
<path>D:\</path>
</bookmark>

<bookmark>
<name>PC Video</name>
<path>smb://192.168.0.1/PC Videos/</path>
</bookmark>

<bookmark>
<name>PC Movies</name>
<path>smb://192.168.0.1/My DVD/</path>
</bookmark>

<bookmark>
<name>PC Drive E</name>
<path>smb://192.168.0.1/PC Drive E</path>
</bookmark>

<bookmark>
<name>PC Drive F</name>
<path>smb://192.168.0.1/F</path>
</bookmark>

<bookmark>
<name>Internet-TV</name>
<path>E:\Apps\xbmc\Stream TV</path>
</bookmark>

The streams for PC Video and PC Movies work lovely. Tried to share the PC drives
same way ie. went into My computer, listed the properties for the drives, enabled sharing and gave the shares names ('PC Drive E' &'F') and just get the same error message. Argghhh! I was so happy when I thought this was gonna work. Somebody help me huh.gif please!

#7 nimbles

nimbles

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • Interests:Student, Mathematical Finance.<br>Most sports, footbal (Arsenal fan), cricket &amp; rugby<br>Movie Junkie.
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 09 May 2004 - 08:45 PM

what kind of dvd/cd are you trying to play could be that your drive has problems reading udf (i know mine does) however works with files burned in is9660 mode

#8 bobbyblaze

bobbyblaze

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 08:52 PM

Hi Nimbles!

Thanks for taking the time to reply again. I'm trying to read a DVD which has had CSS removed (just in case that was the problem). I get the same message (invalid handle) whether there is a disk in one of the PC drives or not. As for ISO9660 or not ... well, it's a PC drive so it should play anything except a chocolate biscuit and the disk I'm trying to play was burned on it, so the drive should play it. in fact it works when I play using the PC, so I know the disk is OK. I just wanna stream to the xbox but something's wrong and I don't know enough to fix it.

Does this help or can anyone else suggest anything????

thanks again everyone. wink.gif

#9 tbell83

tbell83

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 12:49 AM

He'res my XML

<video>
<default></default>
<bookmark>
<name>E Drive</name>
<path>E:\</path>
</bookmark>
<bookmark>
<name>F drive</name>
<path>F:\</path>
</bookmark>
<bookmark>
<name>DVD</name>
<path>D:\</path>
</bookmark>
<bookmark>
<name>C on PC</name>
<path>smb://xbox:xbox@192.168.1.100/Spillover/</path>
</bookmark>
<bookmark>
<name>D on PC</name>
<path>smb://xbox:xbox@192.168.1.100/Movies/</path>
</bookmark>
<bookmark>
<name>DVD on PC</name>
<path>smb://xbox:xbox@192.168.1.100/DVD/</path>
</bookmark>
</video>

Here's what my shared drive looks like

user posted image

works for me, I also have "use simple file sharing" disabled in the folder options under the view tab

Edited by tbell83, 10 May 2004 - 12:50 AM.

#10 bobbyblaze

bobbyblaze

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 04:42 PM

Alas, no joy whatso-blinkin-ever!

I have tried deleting the spaces in the share names and they are now called "PCE" and "PCF". I have also tried using the set-up of

<bookmark>
<name>PC DRIVE E</name>
<path>smb://xbox:xbox@192.168.1.01/PCE/</path>
</bookmark>
<bookmark>
<name>PC DRIVE F</name>
<path>smb://xbox:xbox@192.168.1.01/PCF/</path>
</bookmark>

and this makes not one jot of difference. One thing I have learned is that if the share name is different in the .xml file and on the drive that I am trying to share, then I get a different error message saying that it cannot be found, so I don't think it's anything to do with the name of the share itself.

Does anyone know what the error message "Invalid handle" refers to because this is probably the best road to go down now.

tbell83, thanks for the time and obvious effort that you put into your reply. Much appreciated, amigo. If you are the man I think your are, I'm sure you won't want to leave this nut uncracked. As for disabling simple file sharing in the folder options under the view tab, i use Windows XP home edition and this option is not available to me (or not listed anyway), so I cannot disable this. Would this affect just the PC drives and not the other folders anyway?

I must admit I am totally lost. I am happy to follow in the footsteps of giants and am good at following instructuions to the letter but when I do everything (I think) right and it still doesn't work, then that's me stumped. "Invalid handle" mean anything to anyone???

Please help because the reason I'm desperate to do this would be to have the equivalent of a 8gb playback of movies via 2 dvdr's with only a minor change as the disks swap over when playing back DVD-Backups. This would be of use to most people and alleviate the need for DVD compression programs and expensive (and untested) dual-layer burners.

So, I say again, any ideas totally desperate and depressed now sad.gif

#11 bobbyblaze

bobbyblaze

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 04:46 PM

Oops, before you all jump on my head for wasting your time, I wrote the above share inforamtion out from scratch but the real one gives my proper computer's IP address of 192.168.0.1 laugh.gif

#12 bobbyblaze

bobbyblaze

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 10:13 PM

"Incorrect Handle" anyone????????? blink.gif laugh.gif

#13 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:03 AM

Log into you Windows PC using the username and password which the XBox is trying to use as a login/password pair.

E.G. as per the change you made, you MUST be able to log into your Xp box as "XBOX".

If you can't this is why you are having trouble.

Also, do you have any firewall software installed such as Zone alarm.

If so it will prevent network access until you enable it.

This too will cause the error you are seeing.

Basically that error is saying...

"found the machine, can't find the share by that name".

#14 bobbyblaze

bobbyblaze

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:42 AM

Thanks opjose,

to a layman like me, I can't understand why I can share the root of my PC hardrive and any folders on there using guest access but not the PC DVD drives but at this point I am willing to try anything short or an XP re-install to get it working, so I will set up an account with username/password xbox/xbox ans see if this works. Thanks one and all for bearing with me (much appreciated) and I will let you know how I get on between answering any queries I can help with on the forums (one good turn deserves another) biggrin.gif

Cya soon

#15 bobbyblaze

bobbyblaze

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 09:24 PM

Hi Y'all!

Tried setting up an account on the PC with username and password both xbox and still get the same message of invalid handle. Didn't run off skipping to try it this time as I was fairly sure it wouldn't work because the other shares works fine with or without a username and password on the guest account.

I really appreciate all the help I have received from everyone here and even though we haven't made it work, at least we've found lot's of ways that don't and we're that little bit closer to hitting the nail on the head with an exhultant cry of "Eureeka!".

Well, that's another one down. Anymore for anymore? Roll up! Roll up! Try your best shot. Yes, you, you Sir! I can see you reading this and thinking something. Why not give it a shot, the problem that has eluded some of the finest brains on all of XS. Think of the kudos for solving this little doozie. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users