• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 philly_2004

philly_2004

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:44 AM

for some reason i can only ftp 8 files at any one time between my PC and Xbox and visa versa... on the ninth time i get these errors when using FilleZilla and FlashFXP...

421 Out of Memory
Disconnected from server
Upload failed
Timeout detected

it doesnt matter how big the file are i can only transfer 8 at a time and then i have to reset the xbox to transfer another 8 and so on... not fun.. :-(

anyone have any solutions????

#2 mrRobinson

mrRobinson

X-S Caffeinated Member

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • Interests:Quantum Loop Theory
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 May 2004 - 12:30 PM

What dashboard you running? have you tried other ftp clients?

#3 WaRnINg|

WaRnINg|

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 10 May 2004 - 01:57 PM

Never heard of a situation like this before. The only thing that you should worry about when transfering files to the xbox is to make sure that the file name is under 42 characters. But thats about it i dont understand why you would be getting a problem like this.

Try switching to another dash for a min and see what happens

#4 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 06:19 PM

I've seen this an similiar behavior with many systems.

Unfortunately there are a host of causes and solutions depending upon what is triggering the problem.

For instance:

Multiple routes to the same device on your network can trigger this.

Pass through routing to your ISP (no firewall) can cause this.

Semi or intellegent hubs/routers/AP's can believe that your workstation is "chattering" if it sees to many collisions and might therefor shut down the link to protect the integrity of the network.

You don't have "balanced" connections (related to the last one) where 100BaseT devices are trying to feed into 10BaseT recipients. This causing quite a bit of contention and collision as the faster client is forced to wait upon the slower connection point. The hubs may just shut it down.

#5 xbill

xbill

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:53 PM

Multiple routes to the same device on your network can trigger this.

In a home LAN? How big of a newtork do you think philly_2004 has?

Semi or intellegent hubs/routers/AP's can believe that your workstation is "chattering" if it sees to many collisions and might therefor shut down the link to protect the integrity of the network.

You don't have "balanced" connections (related to the last one) where 100BaseT devices are trying to feed into 10BaseT recipients. This causing quite a bit of contention and collision as the faster client is forced to wait upon the slower connection point. The hubs may just shut it down.

Again, on a home LAN? I can't believe collisions would be much of an issue at all. We don't even know if philly_2004 even has a hub, nor do we know how many devices are on the LAN. It could be a direct connect with a cross-over.

Maybe try a different cable, first. Then, check any other hardware that might be connected. Make sure your cables are plugged in securely. Try shutting everything down, then restart and see if the problem still exists. Can you ping the xbox 10 times and get 10 good replies?

Then look at software, like what version of evox, or whatever dash is in place, is being used. Does it have known FTP issues? Try a different version or different dash alltogether, see if that makes a difference. Check network settings on the PC to make sure they are in order. Check to make sure a personal firewall, or something else, like some network service, or spyware/adware/virus isn't interfering with network transmissions. Make sure the basic defaults, for MTU, for example, haven't been messed with. Try removing (hardward and driver) and reinstalling the NIC in the PC.

#6 philly_2004

philly_2004

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:52 AM

sorry guys, i rang up a xbox techy and he went through the issue with me... i didnt realise you had to leave remoteX running while you transfered between xbox and pc. how stupid of me huh. Nexgen only a allows 8 file transfer but when remoteX is running everything is all good.... thank for all your suggestions though and help though, muchly appreciated... happy days ahead!

#7 philly_2004

philly_2004

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:55 AM

oh just one other issue... i have the phillips dvd rom and i was wondering which cd-r/rw dvd-r brands does it read...???

#8 mrRobinson

mrRobinson

X-S Caffeinated Member

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • Interests:Quantum Loop Theory
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 May 2004 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (philly_2004 @ May 11 2004, 04:55 AM)
oh just one other issue... i have the phillips dvd rom and i was wondering which cd-r/rw dvd-r brands does it read...???

Read this.

#9 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 07:48 PM

"In a home LAN? How big of a newtork do you think philly_2004 has?"

You'd be surprised at how many times this is an issue on home lans, especially throwing WiFi and new printers into the mix, as a "for instance".

Newer HP printers with WIFi adapters can inadvertently cause this, as the printer itself can act as a router.

The "hackers" here are VERY well equipped according to most of the postings on this site.

"Again, on a home LAN? I can't believe collisions would be much of an issue at all. We don't even know if philly_2004 even has a hub, nor do we know how many devices are on the LAN. It could be a direct connect with a cross-over."

YES!

Big problem with some cheaper hubs used on home lans.

I have a bunch of older Linksys that triggers this response all the time. They sit on a shelf as a result.

Re: Direct Connect

True, though direct connections are problematic for other reasons, and ill advised.

Yet we DO know that he has

1) A PC
2) A High Speed Internet Connection (Cable or DSL)
3) An Xbox

From which we can surmise that it is statistically likely that he also has a hub/router.

Already the likelyhood is that he has more than an "average" computer illiterate user, as he is on these forums, and hacking apart Xboxes.

Thus the "leap" in assumptions is not unfounded nor flippant, though it may suprise you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users