unixxx

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 11 May 2004 - 12:23 AM

When you press the power button on the Xbox to turn it off do the hard drives actually properly spin down and does anything special happen, or does the power just get cut off. I'm wondering whether I can turn the Xbox off just by cutting its power or if this will have any long term effects. Please no "theoretical" stuff, just factual, I know it's not good practice, but I want to know if the box can actually handle it. Thanks...

#2 pimpmaul69

pimpmaul69

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 11 May 2004 - 12:27 AM

no..just like a pc powersupply it just trashes the power supply.. it wont last long doing that and also the hdd takes its toll too

Edited by pimpmaul69, 11 May 2004 - 12:28 AM.

#3 xbill

xbill

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:09 AM

QUOTE (unixxx @ May 11 2004, 02:23 AM)
When you press the power button on the Xbox to turn it off do the hard drives actually properly spin down and does anything special happen, or does the power just get cut off.

I'm wondering whether I can turn the Xbox off just by cutting its power or if this will have any long term effects. Please no "theoretical" stuff, just factual, I know it's not good practice, but I want to know if the box can actually handle it. Thanks...

When you press the power button on the Xbox to turn it off do the hard drives actually properly spin down and does anything special happen, or does the power just get cut off. 

The power button signals a shutdown (ever notice the DVD tray closes when you press the power button?) but the powerdown is not immediate. It's very quick, but orderly.

Cutting the power at the AC inlet does not let the system shutdown in an orderly manner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users