#1 liemer

liemer

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 11 May 2004 - 11:37 PM

my samsung dvd drive was working perfectly. I play games and movies all the time on it. Then one day it gets a slow, only the video discs do. Burned or original dvds will play for couple seconds and just stop for 10-30 seconds then go again and eventually just freeze. But games do not do this. What is happening and how do i fix. New drive?. I tried msdash and dvdx dongler free and xbox media player. But all 3 do taht still

#2 justtaint

justtaint

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 May 2004 - 01:33 AM

try cleaning the laser with a cleaning disc?

#3 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 03:13 AM

"slow" reads are basically seek errors.

The drive is having problems reading some or all areas of the disk.

The cause for this vary:

- Scratched disks
- Wrong or incorrectly burned media
- Dust or debris on the lens (this occurs far less often than people around here seem to believe)
- Misalignment caused by a damaged disk clamp
- Debris on the drive head "rails" causing striction. Usually dust adhering to the lubricant is to blame. This is NOT easy to fix once it happens.
- Misalignment thanks to that DVD drive killer "the pot tweak". In working with these delicate mechanisms you've introduced a new problem.

And lastly:

Wear and tear.

A broken gear tooth, overly stretched belt, worn slider wiper, out of kilter laser head spring return, etc.

When seek errors occur SOMETIMES the drive succeeds after repeated tries. From your perspective it just seems unusually slow.

As the problem gets progressively worst, you will start seeing degraded performance until it begins to stop reading altogether.

Time for a new drive unfortunately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users