Photo

Help Needed Connecting To Internet With Xbmc.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 BigSteel

BigSteel

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 12 May 2004 - 02:45 PM

Can someone please help me with connecting to the internet with XBMC, windows XP and 2 NIC cards. I currently have the two connected via a crossover cable which I was using to FTP between the two. Is this the same setup that I need to do this? I have changed the setting on the 2nd NIC card to allow "Internet Sharing" (I believe that is what it was called). I am using the same ip addresses etc that allow me to FTP. I have edited the xboxmediacenter.xml to include this information. I tried to use the weather feature with no luck. Can anyone give me a quick tutorial or let me know what I may be missing.

#2 Loto_Bak

Loto_Bak

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 12 May 2004 - 04:24 PM

Computer with 2 NIC

NIC on Internet = ICS enabled
NIC on LAN = No special settings (that you can see)

XBOX = DHCP client (get ip addy automatically)

this should work unless you have a old version of windows (98? perhaps 98SE) which does not run a DHCP server with ICS enabled.

You should really look into a proper firewall / nat solution. The hardware ones are inexspensive nowadays.

If you want a real slick setup on the cheap get a older pc (say p90 w/32megs of ram miniumum) and run smoothwall ( www.smoothwall.org ) It is a fully featured free firewall. Its a linux distribution that is VERY easy to use. All you need is a coupld network cards, a 1gig hdd, and a CDROM to borrow just for installation. It has a great web interface and supports VPN, Logging, port range forwards and lots of other slick features.

#3 aTraxion

aTraxion

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 05:06 PM

Hey,

This is accetcly what problem i have to after hooking on my internetshare i can't ftp??? I think i did something wrong internet sharing option or something. I tried to connect it to with weather but it just froze @ the searchin sreen.

i work too with 2 NIC cards and 1 cross over cable and cable Internet

So i think the issue is @ sharing my internet can someone help me on this i am kinda angry @ myseld right now!!!

Greetz

#4 aTraxion

aTraxion

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 10:52 AM

*KICK*

#5 JayDee

JayDee

X-S Legend

• Head Moderators