• Please log in to reply
684 replies to this topic

#211 chamius

chamius

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:21 AM

Sorry I wasn't clear, trying to cram too much into one post. What I was essentially asking was whether the functionality of the Advanced Pack could be recreated without all of those analog components.

But never mind, what I think I'll do is take the Advanced Pack and make it switchable to have Component outputs. So for this it seems I need to:

(1) add a switch that changes the mode GND configuration
(2) break out the three component outputs

So... can this all be done at the dongle-box end of the Pack or does it have to be done at the connector end?

And if the latter, what's the easy way to open that connector without destroying it?

Thanks for the help!

#212 JaredC01

JaredC01

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 September 2004 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (chamius @ Sep 17 2004, 03:24 AM)
Sorry I wasn't clear, trying to cram too much into one post. What I was essentially asking was whether the functionality of the Advanced Pack could be recreated without all of those analog components.

But never mind, what I think I'll do is take the Advanced Pack and make it switchable to have Component outputs. So for this it seems I need to:

(1) add a switch that changes the mode GND configuration
(2) break out the three component outputs

So... can this all be done at the dongle-box end of the Pack or does it have to be done at the connector end?

And if the latter, what's the easy way to open that connector without destroying it?

Thanks for the help!

1 and 2: Correct

You have to change the wiring in the connector end (the end that plugs into the AVIP on the xbox), and the wiring in the pack

To take the connector apart, carefully pry at the sides until the halves of plastic come off. There are clips on either side, so if you pry one way and it doesn't come off, try prying the other way. It may take a bit of force.

#213 sandman1687

sandman1687

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 01:50 AM

im all done with the soldering and part gathering and such, and everything works, but im wondering why my s-video and composite video outputs are getting distortion. i have everythign laid out on pcb, and everythign sharing a common ground, but i doubt its the common ground thats distorting it. i also, for troubleshooting, connected the wire straight from the avip to the rca jack, and still distortion. anyone know a possible solution? btw, im using 22gauge wire.

#214 CreziB

CreziB

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 September 2004 - 12:12 AM

This may or may not help your interference/distortion situation. An easy thing to do is twist the ground/power cable together like twisted pair cable. Sometimes it helps. It did in my case. Make a decent, semi-tight twist and then put a strip of electrical tape around it to keep it tight.

#215 sandman1687

sandman1687

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 12:44 PM

thanks, i'll try that later tonight and report my findings back.
-sandman1687

#216 sandman1687

sandman1687

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 03:14 AM

dude, you fucking rule! i twistwed the s-video cables, the RCA VLR ports, and the component video, and all work 100% better than before, absolutely NO DISTORTION! YOU ARE AWESOME, THANK YOU!

#217 CreziB

CreziB

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 05:07 AM

Sweet, that's the one thing I remembered from my ISDS 2755 course in Information Systems Management. Twisted pair cable. Man, college is great.

#218 sandman1687

sandman1687

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 03:29 AM

i have a few pics of the project so far.

http://members.cox.n...687/overall.JPG
this is an overall picture of it. the SPDT switch is the channel switch for the RF output.

http://members.cox.n...687/outputs.JPG
this is a pic of all the outputs so far (i will be adding a simple headphone/amp)

http://members.cox.n...687/closeup.JPG
closeup of the project

http://members.cox.n...7/plugboard.JPG
a picture of the AVIP plug and the pc board. the empty IC socket is for the future addition of an amplifier for headphone output.

reply if u want more pics/details, and i will def. report back when i have a finished product.

ps. look at all of those pretty twisted pair cables ;-)

-sandman1687

#219 sandman1687

sandman1687

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 03:12 AM

has anyone attempted to build a headphone amp for the xbox?

#220 Scaramanga

Scaramanga

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 24 September 2004 - 04:21 AM

sandman1687-
looks very proffesional. Nice work there.
How are you gonna mount all that at the back of the box?

#221 sandman1687

sandman1687

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 12:01 PM

as you can see, there is a standard av plug, so i'll be putting it all into an external box. im currently researching pocket amplifiers that run off of 5v, so i wont need an external power supply/batteries.

#222 CreziB

CreziB

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 03:37 AM

ok, I'm starting to think it is a problem outside of my soldering, Jared. Like you said...

I mean my smartxx chip recognizes when I switch the switch. It'll read either HDTV mode or Type 5 mode which I suppose is s-video. So the switch is right...I don't know what could have happened to stop the video from working properly. Maybe someday I'll get another mobo. argh. "Hi I have an xbox and have dumped more than $500 into the box and hardware alone." bleh, the trick is not to think about it.

#223 sandman1687

sandman1687

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 05:06 AM

are you grounding one of our cables to one of the neighboring GND pins? or even accidently touching the bottom tray of the xbox case? also, check your RCA plugs and stuff like that. or even completely resolder everything, after removal/cleaning of course.
post pics of the avip section of the motherboard, and maybe someone can identify if something is missing.

#224 PerlBoy

PerlBoy

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 05:37 AM

i m a noobie, and heres a question

from the images that were posted (opened advance AV pack), i saw some sort circuitry (caps and resistors) on the S-video section. what are they for? Coz the schematic provided in this first post, i do not see these components.

are they filters for noise? what are the values? can we live w/o em?

#225 JaredC01

JaredC01

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 04 October 2004 - 01:21 AM

QUOTE (PerlBoy @ Oct 2 2004, 11:40 PM)
i m a noobie, and heres a question

from the images that were posted (opened advance AV pack), i saw some sort circuitry (caps and resistors) on the S-video section. what are they for? Coz the schematic provided in this first post, i do not see these components.

are they filters for noise? what are the values? can we live w/o em?

I would have to assume they would be for noise... nothing else they could be for that I can think of...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users