684 replies to this topic

#256 pmh

pmh

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:03 AM

i think i speak for us all when i say, thats orgasmic!!!!

#257 Jameson42

Jameson42

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Xbox Modding (of course),<br />Juggling,<br />D&amp;D (3rd edition - so sue me),<br />Working at EB Games
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 11 January 2005 - 06:10 AM

QUOTE(sandman1687 @ Dec 10 2004, 12:27 AM)
long time since my last reply, but i just got a PS2 (with san andreas) so my time has been put into a new project. i created a common pinout for every console i can think of (had to be 25 pins b/c of xbox connector). i built all components into a small project box (including an RF tuner). to minimize interference, i built an on/off switch into the RF tuner so i can turn it off when im not using it. i'll let the pictures speak for themselves:
(the only wiring that has been installed is the wiring for the tuner and the LM1881 sync-seperator circuit (PS2 has native VGA output). (holes on HD/SPDIF output side are for mode switches)

beerchug.gif Nice beerchug.gif

I just finished modding my Advanced A/V pack - I added a set of 3 dip switches on the box for video mode switching, a VGA connection, and a headphone jack. All fits nicely in the original box, and I still have room for component and digital coax if I wanted it. Don't think I could get away with an RF modulator in the box, though... a little too cramped for that. Managed to do it all without adding wires to the box - just forced some common grounding and used left over wires for the switches and the missing green wire. I've seen no video quality loss from this. (1080i looks fuzzy, but I don't think my monitor formally supports that resolution anyway) If anyone wants pictures of the resulting A/V box let me know and I'll post 'em.

Just a little heads up for anyone looking at putting a VGA connection on their box - if you connect switches 2 and 3 in the diagram and use the VGA iND-BiOS 5001 you can use any component resolution on your monitor (480p, 720p, and 1080i!). Don't know if the same is true for the Pixel8 or TATX VGA bioses, but that doesn't matter much anyway - the VGA iND-BiOS has better compatability - LBA48, IGR, and customizing the flubber and such. Took me forever to find that there was an iND VGA bios, so I thought I'd throw a line for anyone building with this guide.

#258 Jameson42

Jameson42

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Xbox Modding (of course),<br />Juggling,<br />D&amp;D (3rd edition - so sue me),<br />Working at EB Games

Posted 22 January 2005 - 11:24 PM

Took some pics of my modded AV Pack. Crappy quality 'cause I'm an unsteady shot and I was too close with the camera (didn't feel like using zoom).

user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image

Edited by Jameson42, 22 January 2005 - 11:24 PM.

#259 ravedrifter

ravedrifter

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, gamecube, ps2, dreamcast, computers, and ARCADES!
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 23 January 2005 - 03:49 AM

alright guys, i am kinda a newb at this, and i have some questions.

How would i go about adding composite video to the hd av pack, i got (breakout box)? Kinda like jameson42's. Adding inputs to the box. It looks like he didnt open the connector up?

Ive read some, and i want to wire the composite jack right into the connector comming out of the box. (One that plugs into xbox) Not wiring straight to motherboard.

Do i have to open of the connector, and solder onto that, or does it already have the wires attached?

Also, do i need a switch? Or do any mods to the connector?

Thanks

#260 Jameson42

Jameson42

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 09:45 PM

Actually, I did open the connector coming from the breakout box to the xbox... had to in order to get some of the wires I needed to the box. If you're adding composite to the HD pack you'll definitely need to open up the box and the connecter from it. You're going to have to add a set of switches (HD uses 2 + 3 from the diagram, composite is only active with 1 or 1+2) ... so you need one wire for each switch, and 1 for composite. They all share the same ground.

I suggest reading more of this thread.

#261 ravedrifter

ravedrifter

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, gamecube, ps2, dreamcast, computers, and ARCADES!
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 23 January 2005 - 11:55 PM

alright i think i got it, wire up pin 23 and 21 from the connector. To the composite jack.

Then i will ground Mode 2. Pins 11 and 12 (connecting 11 and 12 with a short cable in the connector would work right?)

then set up a switch. One end. Has Mode 1 and the other has mode 3.

Mode 2 is grounded so when i flick the switch one way it will be mode 1+2, and the other would be 2+3.

Does that seem about right?

Also, one more question. Did you shove the wires in the cable then wire it outside the other end, then into the connector? I want a clean finish.

Thanks!

Edited by ravedrifter, 24 January 2005 - 12:09 AM.

#262 Jameson42

Jameson42

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 02:18 AM

That'll work. What I did to "get wires through" was take advantage of xbox's common ground. I stole some of the ground wires, used them for my own purposes. Basically you can disconnect the ground wires for everything in the box except for one, then force everything in the box to use that one wire for grounding... then you can use those leftover wires for whatever you want. I did this with 4 of the wires - stole the wires for the grounds for the s-video and L + R audio to use for switches 1,2,3 and the blue positive... then forced the S-video and L+R audio to use the ground from the optical audio port.

#263 babla

babla

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 02:52 AM

Jameson42 i just wanted to ask u that i have normal vga cable made from a standard xbox AV cable.What modifications should i make to my vga cable,so that it displays all the hi-def modes in my msdashboard.i,m using ind-5001 vga bios.Could u plz explain in detail i,m kinda new to the scene.

thanks smile.gif

#264 Jameson42

Jameson42

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 04:12 AM

QUOTE(babla @ Jan 23 2005, 09:23 PM)
Jameson42 i just wanted to ask u that i have normal vga cable made from a standard xbox AV cable.What modifications should i make to my vga cable,so that it displays all the hi-def modes in my msdashboard.i,m using ind-5001 vga bios.Could u plz explain in detail i,m kinda new to the scene.

Gladly smile.gif

first of all, it's a good idea to patch your MS Dashboard for 480p... (I actually haven't done that yet 'cause I use avalaunch for everything - it allows you to enable HDTV resolutions in it's settings)

Second, you'll need to change what is grounded together in your A/V connector - instead of connecting pins 9 + 10 together, connect 11 + 12. 13 + 14 should already be connected for you. This is the same as having switches 2 + 3 on in JaredC01's diagram. (when in doubt I always reference back to that) This will enable HDTV mode for you. You can then use the MS dashboard or Avalaunch to enable 720p and/or 1080i... if you really want to you can even turn on widescreen... you'll just have to adjust the vertical size on your monitor whenever you play a widescreen game. I fooled around with this a little myself but decided to just wait until I get a widescreen HDTV to play anything in widescreen.

#265 eminvil_12

eminvil_12

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 24 January 2005 - 06:13 AM

ok, ive read this topic for about 10 pages but i just dont understand it. im new to all this hi-def, s-video stuff. im used to plugging in 2 av plugs and im away.
but now that i bought an hi-def tv i want the absolute best picture i can get with the xbox. im not entirely sure how to do this though.

jameson42, you seem to know what you are doing, you seem experienced, may you help me with my problem. you will probably answer it so easily but im lost.

in my tv i have, 1 s-video input, i have the green and blue inputs also aswell as the standard white, yellow and red av inputs.

ok, i know what i want now, ive read that RGB and S-Video produce the best pictures.
so im thinking of doing both S-Video and RGB or should i just stick with one or the other, also doing these mods can i also do the Hi-Def mod and get even better quality picture?

ok so S-video or RGB it is. and maybe somehow do a hi-def mod if it makes the picture better.

thanks for putting up with all this, hope it makes sense blink.gif

#266 Jameson42

Jameson42

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 06:51 AM

eminvil_12,

If you want to connect your xbox to an HD-TV, the easiest thing to do is to get the Hi-def A/V pack that MS offers. That has the Y, Pb, Pr (Green, Blue, Red, respectively) video connections that HD uses (this will give you the best video quality on your tv), as well as optical and Red/White Stereo audio connections. The optical audio connection is useful if you'll be hooking your box up to a Dolby 5.1 surround setup.

RGB is different than the HD green-blue-red, but pretty much the same quality. S-Video is lower quality, and then composite (yellow connector) is below that. For future reference, the Y-Pb-Pr is also referred to as Component video.

If you see the need to build connections for your TV yourself, then follow JaredC01's guide at the beginning of this thread, using just the Y, Pb, Pr connections, along with whatever audio connections you'd like. You'll need to enable HDTV mode in your custom-made A/V pack (switches 2+3 in Jared's guide)

Hope I answered your questions well enough smile.gif

#267 eminvil_12

eminvil_12

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 08:14 AM

jameson42

thanks for your reply, heaps of help. just to clear up a few things.

all i need to do is follow jaredC01's tut for the Y, Pb, and Pr ones, the red, blue, green colours.

then all i need to do is put in switches 1 and 2, the switch them both "ON" if i want HDtv and both "off" if i want to use my normal av cables.

also with this hi-def mod, will my xbox still need the av cables in when using the hi def? if so is there anyway i can permanently make my xbox think there is a av cable in it so i dont have to put both in.

once again thanks for your help, its great. smile.gif

eminvil_12

#268 Jameson42

Jameson42

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:03 AM

yes, follow the tut for the Y,Pb, and Pr (and some form of audio connection).

You'll need switches 2+3 - set them both to "ON" for HDTV, and "OFF" when you use your normal av cable. DO NOT keep your normal AV cable plugged in - this essentially turns on switch 1, which will not allow HDTV to work. You will not need the normal AV cable unless you want to use normal A/V - in which case you need to turn off switches 2+3.

#269 eminvil_12

eminvil_12

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE(Jameson42 @ Jan 24 2005, 09:34 AM)
yes, follow the tut for the Y,Pb, and Pr (and some form of audio connection).

You'll need switches 2+3 - set them both to "ON" for HDTV, and "OFF" when you use your normal av cable.  DO NOT keep your normal AV cable plugged in - this essentially turns on switch 1, which will not allow HDTV to work.  You will not need the normal AV cable unless you want to use normal A/V - in which case you need to turn off switches 2+3.

View Post

ok sweet, thanks so much for your help jameson42. that clears all my questions up. ill be doing this mod tomorrow for sure. once again thanks

eminvil_12

actually one last question, do for example: $35 rca cable better than $10 rca cable??

#270 babla

babla

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 02:45 PM

jameson42

Thanks alot for the reply and just one more request,if u can could u post a rough diagram for the normal vga to hi-def vga would really help.Hope i,m not asking for too much.Once again thanks for the reply.

thank smile.gif U

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users