JaredC01

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:33 PM

I'll be adding a couple of VGA diagrams using different chips here soon... will also be updating the instructions to include the TOSLINK optical jack tested by sandman1687.

#363 monty2k

monty2k

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 29 March 2005 - 06:43 PM

First, JaredC01, thank you for all the hard work done!!! biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

Just found this thread beerchug.gif
Just found that my LCD TV supported HDTV cool.gif
Just found that my PAL xbox didn't support HDTV blink.gif
Just found that switching it to NTSC would do it! beerchug.gif

So... I grabbed some old xbox RGB cable i had, pulled the xbox male plug, and did the HDTV cable, using it and two Y-R-W (yellow, red, white) cables. I did not connect any of the optical connections.

Everything went fine, connected xbox to TV, worked fine, went to M$ dash activated the 480p mode and rebooted to evox dash, it was completely out of sync.
Then i tested the other hdtv modes 720p and 1080i and whenever i run a program that supports hdtv (avalauch, xbmc) i get the image like if it was out of sync.

After reading all the post two times, i still can't figure out the problem. Any ideias?

Thank you!

#364 monty2k

monty2k

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 07:10 PM

Ok, I hate translated manuals, my TV just came with a Portuguese manual, and whenever hdtv was mentioned it was only hdtv.

Just went now to the support site to get the original english manual and voilá! Just discovered that i connected the cables in the wrong place.
The TV has two component inputs one for DVD and another to DTV, in the english manual they are more specific: DVD (480i~576i) and DTV (480p~1080i)...

Yesterday night, I just tested the DVD connection! jester.gif blink.gif rolleyes.gif

As soon i get home i will try the DTV connection and post the results. dry.gif

#365 monty2k

monty2k

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 12:34 AM

It worked.

When booting when the big X appears, the black color is somehow greenish... is it normal?
And for the "normal resolution" software (evox, games, etc) that don't support hdtv modes the image is too much crisp, in some cases i suppose it was better with the normal xbox cable. is this normal too?

Thank you! wink.gif

Edited by monty2k, 30 March 2005 - 12:35 AM.

#366 BLUEku

BLUEku

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 04:02 PM

I wish i could get mine working. seems like no matter what i try, still keep getting frequecny out of range. Note: my monitor isnt a SOG so i am using the LM1881N sync and a Compaq FS7600 monitor.

Edited by BLUEku, 31 March 2005 - 04:03 PM.

#367 DuxRahV

DuxRahV

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 11:36 PM

Which cable is the solution for best picture: HD or VGA? My 42" LG monitor has both. Whitch should I choose?
Also, the images on the first page are for the XBOX motherboard or for the adapter?
I think those images aren't too explicit for me.
The signal on Coaxial and Optical is the same? Can I made only the Coaxial one (because seems easier). If it is so, for coaxial I need only pins 24 and 6 only, pin 1 has something to do with?
Thanks in advance! (I need a quick response because tomorrow I will give it a try and I allready have a XBOX DVD and HDD broken, I dont want to learn from mistakes for the monitor too blink.gif )

#368 Jameson42

Jameson42

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Xbox Modding (of course),<br />Juggling,<br />D&amp;D (3rd edition - so sue me),<br />Working at EB Games
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:10 PM

DuxRahV -

Go with HD. VGA still has problems and you can get the same quality picture with HD. Besides, you don't need any special chips or bioses to use HD.

The images are for the connections on the XBOX motherboard.

Yes, the Coax audio and Optical audio signals are the same. Which you use depends on which you want to, really... the reason that optical has an extra wire (pin 1) is to power the light. (VCC is a standard +5V... useful for powering transisters) Generally a good idea to use coax over short distances because the cable is less expensive.

#369 DuxRahV

DuxRahV

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 12:06 PM

Thanks, Jameson42!
I've moddified the cable before reading your reply, but still thanks a lot. I've used my Standard A/V cable and made a High Def A/V one. The only difference is that now the yelow is for Y, the white is for Pb, the red is for Pr, and I have an extra cable for sound (coaxial). I've decided not to make a box because I don't want to use switches to choose the output mode. I'm gonna buy an extra Standard A/V cable for using the XBOX with a non HDTV capable TV instead of my LG 42" Plasma. The reason for not-buying an HD A/V cable is that I live in Romania and the only way to get one is to buying it online (one month deliver time, 40-50 bucks transport fee to this destination). The modification took me 10 minutes instead and you hardly can see the difference, its the same cable with an extra wire (I've dissasambeled and reassambeled it very carefull).
The result shocked me! I didnt believed my eyes when I saw that the modification actually works. Now I have 1080i on my plasma (real 5.1 sound) and the difference is huge even for games that have no support for HDTV. Also for XBMC and Linux.
JaredC01, you are the man! love.gif

#370 kdeuce7

kdeuce7

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 06:01 AM

Hey,

Just thought I'd share my pics with everyone. I cut all the back fins off and then soldered directly to the bottom of the mobo. It was more time consuming but I think it is nicer then having to carry around a seperate box. To make it look cleaner I just cut a peice of black posterboard to match the outputs and glued it on. That way I could easily access anything if need be, and also label the outputs. And to hide the screws and general messyness of it all.

user posted image

user posted image

Hope you like it,
Kdeuce

#371 Jameson42

Jameson42

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Xbox Modding (of course),<br />Juggling,<br />D&amp;D (3rd edition - so sue me),<br />Working at EB Games

Posted 05 April 2005 - 06:33 AM

Nicely done, kdeuce.

#372 DJ KooPee

DJ KooPee

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, Modding, Drinking...

Posted 07 April 2005 - 01:52 PM

To save me time checking all 25 pages of this thread...

Could someone tell we what type of wire/cable to use for standard a/v setup???

Can I just use standard 30 awg wire???

#373 JaredC01

JaredC01

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 08 April 2005 - 05:12 AM

QUOTE(DJ KooPee @ Apr 7 2005, 05:58 AM)
To save me time checking all 25 pages of this thread...

Could someone tell we what type of wire/cable to use for standard a/v setup???

Can I just use standard 30 awg wire???

View Post

You can use pretty much any wire you want. Cat-5 cable works good... 30 awg will work fine too.

#374 Jameson42

Jameson42

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 01:30 AM

Possibly some good news for VGA users... I was wandering around the forums and found someone asking about some schematics for a VGA adapter. Looks to me like it might remove the need for a vga-specific bios, but I'm not sure. Was hoping some of you guys would take a look at it and say what you think.

Here's the topic
and here's the schematics

#375 jurg

jurg

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 12:09 AM

After changing fan in my xbox, the video output is not working. I don't get any picture with scart (RGB), but my tv detect that the xbox is starting and changing it's channel to AV. I don't get any picture with composite video with the original xbox AV cable.

The only way to get a picture is to use S-Video and a cable from Joytech.

What's wrong?

Here is another question:

How can this cable from Joytech work? In one end there is a Xbox AV plug and in the other end it is a Y-cable with one cable to a scart and one cable to S-Video and 2 audio plugs. The scart is supposed to be RGB.
I don't find any mode that will output both RGB and S-Video.

user posted image

Link to the specifications of cable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users