JaredC01

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 June 2004 - 02:57 AM

I could add VGA to it, but I would also have to add a sync seperator circuit. I'll see what I can come up with. No promises though.

#32 JaredC01

JaredC01

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 04:27 AM

After a while of working, I finally got VGA added into the diagram. Enjoy.

#33 Great2bfree

Great2bfree

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 05:06 AM

Amazing job man. I'm going to order that LM1881n chip and built me a VGA adapter!

#34 Great2bfree

Great2bfree

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 05:29 AM

JaredC01, On the VGA note, you mentioned one has to have a valid VGA bios for this to work. What bios are you reffering to?(don't know of any other but hey) is it the one the xbox is booting up with? if so, is a edited 4891 good?

I've also do't fully understand when you say one has to turn on the xbox in high definition a/v mode, does this mean I have to turn 2 & 3? even thought I have a regular, standard S-video cable?

thanks, and sorry for the lack of knowledment.

#35 Sheriff

Sheriff

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 03:02 AM

QUOTE (grungy-gamer @ May 28 2004, 04:05 AM)
-i've bee looking at various tutorials and faqs over the past few days, and i finally came up with a diagram for what i want to do.

user posted image

can someone tell me if this is correct and if it would work right?

also, JaredC01, you said that the component only works in high def mode. does that mean, that unless i have an HD tv, i won't get an image, or what? because i've run component video on my set through a high definition pack before with no problems.

Okay I have tried your guide so I could plug into my HDtv but for some reason I am not getting all the colors! I rewired it several times and still it wont work wink.gif
I swear I am following it to a T but still it is like one of the cables is not pluged in?
One thing I have noticed is when I unplug the Blue cable nothing changes. Please any help getting hdtv output would be soo great! I drilled the holes and mounted everything already in my LE halo box and would really like to put it to use LOL.

Thanks in advance

Sheriff

#36 Sheriff

Sheriff

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 01:09 PM

Okay I figured out what is wrong. I dont know if it something that is different with my xbox or the guide has an error but the wires that go to pin 16 & 18 need to be switched. As soon as I disconnected the wire that goes to 16 and soldered it to 18 and the one that went to 18 to 16 it worked fine.

Sheriff

#37 JaredC01

JaredC01

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 07:55 PM

QUOTE (Great2bfree @ Jun 5 2004, 12:29 AM)
JaredC01, On the VGA note, you mentioned one has to have a valid VGA bios for this to work. What bios are you reffering to?(don't know of any other but hey) is it the one the xbox is booting up with? if so, is a edited 4891 good?

I've also do't fully understand when you say one has to turn on the xbox in high definition a/v mode, does this mean I have to turn 2 & 3? even thought I have a regular, standard S-video cable?

thanks, and sorry for the lack of knowledment.

You have to download the actual VGA bios (meaning it supports using VGA) made by a couple different people. You can find it in the "usual places".

You have to enable High Def A/V Mode to get the option for progressive scan in the MS dashboard. Using High Def A/V Mode with the S-Video cable should work, though you may not have color (the "Green" or "Y" signal is enabled in all modes, which supplies the video in black and white).

#38 JaredC01

JaredC01

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (Sheriff @ Jun 6 2004, 08:09 AM)
Okay I figured out what is wrong. I dont know if it something that is different with my xbox or the guide has an error but the wires that go to pin 16 & 18 need to be switched. As soon as I disconnected the wire that goes to 16 and soldered it to 18 and the one that went to 18 to 16 it worked fine.

Sheriff

Ah... it seems I have a couple of errors in my tutorial. Thanks for pointing that out!

Problems Fixed.

(Blue wires were reversed, had a VGA pin wrong)

#39 inneedofhelp

inneedofhelp

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 11:58 PM

Important question: Is there any way to get component and composite out at the same time?

I ask because I output component to my TV, but plan on installing a little LCD into my XBOX. The LCD needs to be soldered into the composite points. I will run it simultaneously with my TV.

I need an answer before I devote time and money into this mod. Thanks a lot.

#40 JaredC01

JaredC01

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 08 June 2004 - 02:43 AM

QUOTE (inneedofhelp @ Jun 7 2004, 06:58 PM)
Important question: Is there any way to get component and composite out at the same time?

I ask because I output component to my TV, but plan on installing a little LCD into my XBOX. The LCD needs to be soldered into the composite points. I will run it simultaneously with my TV.

I need an answer before I devote time and money into this mod. Thanks a lot.

No... you can't have both at the same time. The XBox will not put out a signal for composite when using the High Def A/V Pack (component).

#41 JaredC01

JaredC01

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 12:44 AM

Bump wink.gif.

Hmm... was just thinking... should I submit the diagram as an official tutorial?

#42 MyMinuteNewt

MyMinuteNewt

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 12:14 PM

I'm in the process of modding a HD-Pack to give me S-Video and Component. So now I'm in the process of deciding what kind of switch to use.

From the great diagram on the first post of this thread, I see that I need to switch between Advanced & HDTV. Except I only want to install one little switch.

I noticed that Pins 11 & 12 are closed on both modes. so I could permanently short these connections. So now I'm only concerned with pins 9&10 and 13&14, I want to switch from one pair to the other.

Are pins 10, 12 and 14 all ground? If so, I could just get an SPDT, and connect a groung to the center pin.

If not, I suppose I'd need to get a DPDT and wire it up, so only one is closed at one time.

any suggestions?

TIA

#43 JaredC01

JaredC01

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 01:52 AM

QUOTE (MyMinuteNewt @ Jun 10 2004, 07:14 AM)
I'm in the process of modding a HD-Pack to give me S-Video and Component. So now I'm in the process of deciding what kind of switch to use.

From the great diagram on the first post of this thread, I see that I need to switch between Advanced & HDTV. Except I only want to install one little switch.

I noticed that Pins 11 & 12 are closed on both modes. so I could permanently short these connections. So now I'm only concerned with pins 9&10 and 13&14, I want to switch from one pair to the other.

Are pins 10, 12 and 14 all ground? If so, I could just get an SPDT, and connect a groung to the center pin.

If not, I suppose I'd need to get a DPDT and wire it up, so only one is closed at one time.

any suggestions?

TIA

Yes, you can (and in this case should) permanantly connect pins 11 and 12. Pins 10, 12, and 14 are indeed all grounding points. Just use a SPDT switch, hook up one of the 3 grounding pins to the common post on the switch, and pins 9 and 13 to the opposite sides of the switch.

Throw the switch one way, you have Component A/V. Throw the switch the opposite way, you have S-Video A/V.

Good luck with your mod!

#44 MyMinuteNewt

MyMinuteNewt

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 06:24 AM

Thanks for that Jared! I'll be modding it early next week, I'll report back how it went.

#45 xerxes3rd

xerxes3rd

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 11 June 2004 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (JaredC01 @ Jun 10 2004, 02:44 AM)
Bump wink.gif.

Hmm... was just thinking... should I submit the diagram as an official tutorial?

I think you should, although I would probably add optical to the diagram first. Other than that, it's perfect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users