8 replies to this topic

#1 rAph

rAph

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 02:33 PM

Alright, I just sold my modded Xbox (OpenXbox) to someone. I've now got a virgin Xbox. About 5 of my friends are also interested in modding their Xbox but they don't have too much money to spend. So I don't plan on getting a "high quality" mod (X2 etc...), but rather a cheapmod (buying the parts and building it myself) or doing a tsop flash with one Matrix modchip. For the tsop I would install a switch to allow changing between original/hacked bios. The 2 solutions have their pros and cons. For example:

-Cheapmod - could become dislodged (shipping, taking Xbox to a friends)
-Cheapmod - bad flash
-Cheapmod more expensive
-Tsop most stable
-Tsop bad flash
-Tsop cheaper

If something bad happens (chip dislodges or bad flash) to the tsop or the cheapmod, I can fix it. But the only problem is that some of my friends live in different states. So it would cost some money/hassle to send their busted box back to me to repair.

Im sortta leaning towards the tsop flash because the shipping posses a real threat to dislodging a chip / solder point. But if that does happen, its not a dire situation because the Xbox would work in a factory state (switch chip off). Same applies to a bad flash to a cheapmod. The Xbox could still work with original cds. On the other hand, a bad tsop flash would completely screw the whole xbox up no matter what (until I reflash tsop with matrix chip)

So please help me out and give me some advice to put my unsettled mind at peace!

Edited by rAph, 01 January 2003 - 02:36 PM.

#2 MURDERER

MURDERER

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 06:30 PM

If you truly want to start TSOP flashing for customers, you should have two chips in your arsenal. One, you should have a Matrix for TSOP flashing. If something does go wrong, your second chip should be a 29 wire chip with evox.D6. This way, if you screw up a TSOP flash, you can always flash the TSOP with the 29 wire mod. Plus, at this time, only the 29 wire mod with evox.D6 can flash ver 1.1 XBOXs. We need EVOX to release a new bios for flashing v1.1 XBOXs with Matrix! biggrin.gif

iMURDERER

#3 Knuck3ls

Knuck3ls

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 06:39 PM

I thought you didn't refer to them as customer's MURDERER, just "friends".

#4 MURDERER

MURDERER

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 07:03 PM

It sounds like Raph is charging. In that case, they are customers.

#5 Knuck3ls

Knuck3ls

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 07:05 PM

Riiiiight.. rolleyes.gif

#6 rAph

rAph

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 08:14 PM

Wait, why can't I fix a bad tsop flash with the Matrix? Does it have to do with mode 3 and failing to load original (corrupt) bios when removing the T1 lead?

And I refer to them as friends because I'm only charging for the hardware.

Edit: found a way to recover bad tsop with matrix: http://evox.xboxhack...der=asc&start=0
But it hasn't been working for everyone.

Edited by rAph, 01 January 2003 - 08:29 PM.

#7 MURDERER

MURDERER

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 08:29 PM

I am not entirely positive that a bad flash can be fixed with the Matrix. DaOne did some testing with a totally messed up TSOP, and was unable to fix it with the Matrix. If you note this thread, http://evox.xboxhack...topic.php?t=812 It discusses a way to fix a bad flash with the Matrix. I have yet to do any testing myself with a bad TSOP and the Matrix. I do not know if it can be done, so if you do plan on flashing TSOPS, and you want a complete guarantee you can flash a bad TSOP, you will need a 29 wire DIP mod. I will try to get DaOne to do some more testing with XBOXs that have bad TSOPs, as he receives and repairs these types of XBOXs regularly. On my new website, I will post any info relating to fixing a bad flashed TSOP using the Matrix.

iMURDERER

#8 rAph

rAph

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 08:34 PM

wow, I edited and added that exact same link to my last post at the exact same time as you added the link to your last post wink.gif

i'll try and get a 29wire mod. I wouldn't mind making my own, but my motherboard doesn't have that kind of a bios. it has one of those square bioses that you use in lpc modchips. What other way can I flash one of those 29wire eeproms?

#9 rAph

rAph

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 11:47 AM

What is the probability of having a failed flash? Does Xflash work better than the EvoX flasher?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users