#1 Shimmy

Shimmy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:28 PM

Hi!

So the xbox starts then after a while the picture wanishes, fan spinns faster and the leds go orange blinking. Could it be overheating? What can I do?? sad.gif

Tnx in advance!

#2 frontlinep8tbal

frontlinep8tbal

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:32 PM

http://www.xbox-scen...ticles/leds.php

#3 Shimmy

Shimmy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:35 PM

Tnx I have read that, it sas overheating or soldersplash, I was hoping for a way to be sure and hopfully a solution rolleyes.gif

#4 frontlinep8tbal

frontlinep8tbal

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 05:50 PM

did you mod your xbox?
if so what is the temp on evox or other dashboard
if not modded is your fans working (both if v1.0)

We need to know specifics to narrow down to a reasonable solution. FRANK

#5 Shimmy

Shimmy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:06 PM

Doh! Its a v1.3 and its modded with a akira chip. The temps are low and just before it stops working they read in Evox: MB: 27 and CPU: 34,6. Im not sure of the GPU it feels kinda hot... Could that be it?

After about 1min the picture wanishes, fan spinns faster and the leds go orange blinking.

Tnx

#6 frontlinep8tbal

frontlinep8tbal

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:12 PM

you may have an airgap on the gpu which would superheat it instead of transfering the heat. Did you happen to remove any of the heatsinks then replace them for any reason??? FRANK

#7 frontlinep8tbal

frontlinep8tbal

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:19 PM

only other suggestion is that you have a bit of solder in the box somewhere thats shorting out the machine. What could be happening is (which is common on the ps2 mod wiring) that when cold metal contracts hence, the wire is not making a short (connection). After booting up the mobo heats up and heats that bit of wire, solder etc. and its touching a componet its not suppose to be touching which would give you this problem of the orange light. The soldersplash could be invisible to the naked eye but would wreck havoc on your machine causing your problem. Detailed inspection over your whole motherboard top and bottom with a magnifing glass is necessary. FRANK

#8 Shimmy

Shimmy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:45 PM

Tnx alot for the ansers! Actualt it is my m8s xbox and he has removed the heatsinks and replaced the thermalgrease for some reson... so that could be it. But I have no new thermalgrease so I will start with the magnifing glass... It should be a fun allnighter blink.gif

Tnx again Frank

#9 TimCo1980

TimCo1980

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:48 PM

Don't know if this helps but...on one of the boxes I modded it was having the same problem. I noticed that the modchip was touching a capacitor (or something) and I thought that might be the problem; so I put elec. tape over my mod chip and it stopped flashing orange.

#10 frontlinep8tbal

frontlinep8tbal

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:15 PM

He pretty much answered his own deliema. They removed the heatsink to put on thermal grease. It is possible that they didnt clean off the old bubble gum junk enough creating a bit of a gap.

The heatsink needs to be compressed onto the chip to effectively transmit the heat or it will create a small air gap which traps the heated air. Make sure that the clip that holds the heatsink is clamping down on the mobo.

#11 Shimmy

Shimmy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:41 PM

I thought I had found the fault when I removed the GPU-heatsink, there were execive amount of thermalgrease on the side of the GPU on the MB... Thought that that might short it. I think I got it all of but the problem remains but now it took longer... And now instead of a black screen right away there is a green and disorted picture and then no picture mad.gif

O and the GPU-heatsink is really really hot! I think I will try again tomorrow...

#12 frontlinep8tbal

frontlinep8tbal

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:56 PM

only a bb size of grease covers the whole chip. It will feel hot to touch without the heatsink on and it will shut down if the heatsink is not in place. Your probably doing a great deal of damage to the chip if you have not already from the amount of times your superheating it. FRANK

#13 Shimmy

Shimmy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 06:31 AM

OK, im gona try again, what do u recomend for removing the grease from the GPU and the MB??

Tnx

#14 frontlinep8tbal

frontlinep8tbal

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 02:27 PM

Clean as much as possible off the gpu and cpu and also the heat sinks. Make sure

ALL

Ms bubble gum crap heatsink pad material is removed with some rubbing alchol and cotton swaps. Clean up the complete are. Make sure completely not half a$$ed. Then take a BB sized amount of Artic silver heatsink material and put it on the center of the cpu and gpu. Take the heatsink and place it back. Put the retaining clips back in place and dont take it apart again.

If your xbox still acts up. You can determine that its not an air space between the heatsink and the chips. You can now determine a short on the motherboard or some electronic failure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users