Photo

Easier Way To Make Dummy Files - Please Read!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blueshogun96

blueshogun96

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 03:26 PM

I've noticed that most of you still just collect huge movie files to use as dummy files. Well here's a much better way to do this. Instead of making a dummy file from large files already on your computer, write a program that writes text to a file in a continuous loop and and program some logic to make it stop at a certain time. I discovered i could do this last night by mistake. A text file can fill up QUICK and become MASSIVE in a few seconds (like putting a dry sponge in water smile.gif, so be careful. A full example is below:

#define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN

#include <stdio.h>
#include <conio.h>
//our constants
const __int64 SIZE_IN_BYTES = 1;
const __int64 SIZE_IN_KILOBYTES =1024;
const __int64 SIZE_IN_MEGABYTES =1048576;

void main(int argc, char* argv)
{
FILE *pFile;//our file
int TargetSize=0;//size we want
int s=1;
pFile=fopen("0dummy.bin","a+");//create dummy file
printf("Dummy file maker 1.1 by blueshogun96 2004\n\n");
printf("In order to make the dummy file, you must specify what units the number you \ninput will be\n");
printf("For instance, you type in the size you want, are you using KB, MB, etc.\n\n\n");
menu:
printf("Input size in:\n1. Bytes\n2. KiloBytes\n3. MegaBytes\n");
scanf("%d",&s);
if(s<1||s>3)
{
system("CLS");
printf("Please choose a number between 1 and 3\n");
goto menu;
}
printf("How big do you want your dummy file to be");
if(s==1)printf("(in Bytes)");
if(s==2)printf("(in KiloBytes)");
if(s==3)printf("(in MegaBytes)");
scanf("%d",&TargetSize);
printf("Creating your dummy file...\n");
printf("You can stop at anytime by pressing CTRL+C\n");
printf("This program will be done before you know it \n");
printf("Don't leave this unattended just in case!");
printf("Target size is: %d",TargetSize);
if(s==1)printf("(in Bytes)\n");
if(s==2)printf("(in KiloBytes)\n");
if(s==3)printf("(in MegaBytes)\n");

for(;;)
{
static __int64 i=0;
i+=1;

fprintf(pFile,".");
//uncomment the line below and the program will go much slower
//printf("Dummy file size is %d bytes.\r",i);
if(s==1)
if(i==(__int64)TargetSize) break;
if(s==2)
if(i==(__int64)TargetSize*SIZE_IN_KILOBYTES) break;
if(s==3)
if(i==(__int64)TargetSize*SIZE_IN_MEGABYTES) break;

}//when its done it will stop and let you know smile.gif
printf("\nYour dummy file is done\n");
getch();//wait for keyboard input
fclose(pFile);//close file
}

if you don't have a compiler or don't know how to program, you can download a precompiled copy below:

http://www.angelfire...myFileMaker.rar

Edited by blueshogun96, 20 May 2004 - 03:31 PM.

#2 Chancer

Chancer

Don't You Trust me?

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,687 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 20 May 2004 - 03:47 PM

Very good but its easier to use the dummy file maker from the Xecuter site. I don't really think people do spend a lot of time amking up dummy files surely. You can make a dummy of a couple of hundred meg or whatever in less than 30 secs.

#3 blueshogun96

blueshogun96

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (Chancer @ May 20 2004, 05:47 PM)
Very good but its easier to use the dummy file maker from the Xecuter site. I don't really think people do spend a lot of time amking up dummy files surely. You can make a dummy of a couple of hundred meg or whatever in  less than 30 secs.

Sorry, I didn't know that because I didn't know a dummy file maker existed. The main reason why I posted this thread was because everyone I've met did it the hard way, I just wanted to help, that's all. biggrin.gif I'm an Intern but still a NOOb inside, know what I mean? cool.gif

Edited by blueshogun96, 20 May 2004 - 04:24 PM.

#4 rainfever

rainfever

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 04:40 PM

i just used a 100mb file and renamed it ABC.FAO and it worked like a charm....dunno why it so hard to make a dummy file....probably something to do with the name lol

#5 blueshogun96

blueshogun96

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE (rainfever @ May 20 2004, 06:40 PM)
i just used a 100mb file and renamed it ABC.FAO and it worked like a charm....dunno why it so hard to make a dummy file....probably something to do with the name lol

I think you're missing the point of exactly why I made this post. It's not all about creating a dummy file, it's about getting it to the right size so you only need to make one and only one, instead of gathering a bunch of files and wasting time. Of course it's not hard to make a dummy file, it's all about being presice and accurate!

#6 lordvader129

lordvader129

He Who Posts Alot...

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 20 May 2004 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE (blueshogun96 @ May 20 2004, 01:49 PM)
I think you're missing the point of exactly why I made this post. It's not all about creating a dummy file, it's about getting it to the right size so you only need to make one and only one, instead of gathering a bunch of files and wasting time. Of course it's not hard to make a dummy file, it's all about being presice and accurate!

eh, dummy files arent an exact science they dont need to be precise or accurate, just take up space

i usually make a folder called 00000 and throw stuff in it til its as big as i want

#7 blueshogun96

blueshogun96

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 05:20 PM

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention the even bigger reason why i prefer this method above any others. The files created by this program here can be greatly compressed in a .rar or .zip (.rar is better). So a dummy file that's 100MB can be 40k. This way I don't have to start digging in my hard drive for large files, and I don't have to group em together which wastes valuable hard drive space. Although I have 80 gigs, it's still not enough for me because i'm always downloading things over 100MB. I'm not trying to make anything complicated here, I just like to share my findings so that others may find it useful. My soul is fueled by doing good deeds. cool.gif

#8 --tinman--

--tinman--

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 May 2004 - 03:03 PM

Files made by the Dummy File Maker are EXTREMELY compressible as well.. PLUS you specify the size you want made and POOF...

way too easy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users