#1 PedrosPad

PedrosPad

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 May 2004 - 09:20 PM

Announcement of the “Ultimate Dashboard Exploit”!
(Devised by Pedro - Achieved by Rmenhal)

Q: What is the Ultimate Dashboard Exploit (UDE)?
A: Not to use a Dashboard.

The result? The “Ultimate Dashboard Exploit” allows the booting of a habibi signed XBE, with no risk of a clock loop.
  • Pros:
    • Directing booting to Linux/PBL/Evox, etc.
    • No risk of clock loop.
    • Can still use custom sound tracks in games (the M$ Dashboard can still be accessed from Evox).
  • Cons:
    • No Dashboard access to the XBOX!Live console.
    • No XBOX!Live game access to the XBOX!Live console.
It achieves this by not actually booting a Dashboard at all, but by booting another M$ signed XBE, with the appropriate flags set to enable it to run from the hard disk. The actual XBE exploited is the C:\xodash\update.xbe, installed by the “updater to Live 1.0 Dashboard 4920” that is part of the original XBOX!Live startup kit, and shipped with most of the early XBOX!Live games (Splinter Cell, etc.).
There are a few different versions out there. Ensure you use the right expoit font for the right update.xbe!

Q: Why "Ultimate" Dashboard Exploit?
A: At the time, I doubted that a Dashboard exploit for Kernel 5713+ was possible. Hence my belief that this will be the “Ultimate Dashboard Exploit” - during the XBOX v1's lifetime. I use the word "Ultimate" to mean "Being last in a series, process, or progression", and in no way to claim any superiority. [definition]. As it turns out we were able to build on these ideas and produce a UDE2 for K:5713+ owners biggrin.gif.

Only attempt this if you're confident that you can recover from your actions.
Warning: This version of the exploit does not work on Kernels that prevent the execution of pre-live Dashboards, such as K:5713 or higher! Owners of K:5713+ XBOXs should look at the UDE2

To install the “Ultimate Dashboard Exploit”:
  • 1st BACKUP YOUR XBOX DRIVE C – via FTP access granted by a game-save exploit.
  • Rename your C:\xboxdash.xbe to C:\MODxboxdash.xbe. See below.
  • Copy Dashboard 4920’s C:\xodash\update.xbe to C:\ and rename it C:\xboxdash.xbe.
  • Copy the correct UDE font for your system (linked below) to C:\ (do not rename the fonts, just keep the font named "bert_ate_ernie-generic.xtf" or "bert_ate_ernie-xxxx-01.xtf" - renaming the font can stop it working) - Ensure that there are no other XTF fonts are present in C:\
  • Rename C:\fonts\ folder to C:\f0nts\ (note the zero replacing the letter ‘o’)
This is all you need to boot a habibi signed E:\default.xbe! (Your Linux loader, PBL, Evox, etc.).

An optional extra, necessary to be able to launch the M$ Dashboard:
  • Hex edit C:\MODxboxdash.xbe (the original C:\xboxdash.xbe you renamed above), and Hex edit the 2 occurrences of "fonts\" to "f0nts\" (note the zero in place of the 'o'). "fonts" in Unicode is 66 00 6F 00 6E 00 74 00 73 00
The M$ Dashboard can now be reached by launching C:\MODxboxdash.xbe (via Evox, etc.) - for setting ya clock or copying custom sound tracks, etc.

See how it compares to the other Dashboard exploits at the Dashboard Exploit Summary thread.

The history of the development of this exploit can be read in the, increasingly inaccurately titled, "Working Easter-egg Exploit" thread.

If you're not confident in your technical abilities, or find anything here confusing please wait for one of the _Packages to be released/updated at the 'usual places'.

For early adopters, here are the links to the files.

Revision History:
V1.0 - 2004-05-22 - rmenhal - First release.
V1.1 - 2004-05-25 - rmenhal - Enlarged to work with more kernels.
V1.2 - 2004-05-26 - Grospolina - Reformatted.
V1.3 - 2004-06-11 - rmenhal - Auto ClockSet routines added.
V1.4 - 2004-06-11 - Angerwound - TrayState Decision Making added.
V4 - 2004-06-14 - rmenhal - Kernel-specific fonts for versions: 3944.01, 4034.01, 4627.01, 4817, 5101.01 and 5530.01. [release note]
V5 - 2004-06-20 - rmenhal - Latest and greatest fonts. Includes fonts for both the 1914880-byte and 1974272-byte update.xbe.
V6 - 2004-06-21 - rmenhal - Improved support for the 1914880-byte update.xbe. [release note]
V7 - 2004-07-09 - rmenhal - Supports XBOX Chinese language setting.

Extras:
V1 - 2004-06-15 - rmenhal - External tray-state branching utilities.
V2 - 2004-06-16 - rmenhal - External tray-state branching utilities - updated code. [release note]
nkpatcher - Benefits of PBL for kernel 5530 users - now in own thread!

To extract the files from the posts:
1. Cut and paste the code into a text editor (Notepad, etc)
2. Take note of the filename on the first line of the fragment
3. Save the text file as [filename].b64
4. Open the [filename].b64 file using ICEOWS, or Winzip (v8+)
5. Save the extract the UNKNOWN.001 file listed to a disk folder
6. Rename UNKNOWN.001 to the [filename]
7. If the filename extension is .bz2, or .rar, WinRAR will open it and let you extract the files within. If the filename extension in .zip, WinZip will open it and let you extract the files within.

Also, see ldots Memcard UDE installer/uninstaller package, and his Ude Package For Xboxhdm, Easy install if you dont have a memcard.

Edited by PedrosPad, 16 August 2004 - 03:37 PM.

#2 coolmodder11

coolmodder11

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 09:31 PM

So we will need to sign every xbe with habibi to run games, emus, apps?

Edited by coolmodder11, 22 May 2004 - 09:31 PM.

#3 digisatman

digisatman

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 22 May 2004 - 09:32 PM

i think u have been writing 4290 in your first post instead of 4920!

Also, any chance that sum1 can host teh font file?

I will be happy to do it, if sum1 can upload it to me, ill host it happily ona fast server.

let me know guys.

THANKS PEDROS (and rmehal of course)

#4 digisatman

digisatman

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (coolmodder11 @ May 22 2004, 11:31 PM)
So we will need to sign every xbe with habibi to run games, emus, apps?

that is why PBL was invented m8!

#5 PedrosPad

PedrosPad

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 09:46 PM

"Dashboard exploit summary" thread now updated with "Ultimate Dashboard Exploit" details.

See Dashboard Exploit Summary

#6 Australian Rat

Australian Rat

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 22 May 2004 - 09:56 PM

Oooh, looks like fun.

Might just wait a bit for more devolopment on it though so I don't accidentally get a $300 paperweight dry.gif

Also, I wouldn't call this the "ultimate Dashboard exploit" because I see there to be 2 types of exploits (no not font an audio), automatically launched and user launched. I personally prefer the user launched exploits like DD, booting to an unmodded state first. Maybe "Ultimate Font Exploit" wink.gif

And wouldn't ernie eat bert? Ernie was the bigger one wasn't he?

#7 Angerwound

Angerwound

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (Australian Rat @ May 22 2004, 11:56 PM)
Oooh, looks like fun.

Might just wait a bit for more devolopment on it though so I don't accidentally get a $300 paperweight dry.gif

Also, I wouldn't call this the "ultimate Dashboard exploit" because I see there to be 2 types of exploits (no not font an audio), automatically launched and user launched. I personally prefer the user launched exploits like DD, booting to an unmodded state first. Maybe "Ultimate Font Exploit" wink.gif

And wouldn't ernie eat bert? Ernie was the bigger one wasn't he?

Nope, bert definately ate ernie. All the payload was crammed into bert.

#8 PedrosPad

PedrosPad

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:14 PM

Wise man smile.gif.

If those braver soles, who are confident that they can recover from their actions (via Game save, switchable mod chip (that has the option to boot an XBE other than C:\xboxdash.xbe - e.g. evoxdash.xbe), HDD hot swap), do try this - please post your results here - including your XBOX Kernel version.

Edited by PedrosPad, 22 May 2004 - 10:21 PM.

#9 Angerwound

Angerwound

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:19 PM

I already posted in the other thread as others did, but K: 4034 and D: 4920 definately have zero problems. I really see no need to wait for development as long as you can recover yourself from accidental problems like forgetting to copy a file. As long as you follow the instructions you should be fine.

BertAteErnie -> PBL 1.4.1(x2.4983) -> AvaLaunch .....

Forgot to mention I left my box unplugged for a bout 2 hours and then turned her on and no clock loop if any of you are unsure.....

Edited by Angerwound, 22 May 2004 - 10:28 PM.

#10 PedrosPad

PedrosPad

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE (Angerwound @ May 23 2004, 12:19 AM)
I already posted in the other thread as others did, but

ditto, but let's make this the official thread wink.gif - In my case, K:4817, D:4920 - and a known to be unset clock - Absolutely no problems. Boot->PBL->Evox->MODxboxdash.xbe - all fine. And no sign of any Reset-On-Eject issue. smile.gif

Edited by PedrosPad, 22 May 2004 - 10:27 PM.

#11 evil clone

evil clone

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:32 PM

K:5101
D:4920

& zero problems biggrin.gif

EC

#12 evil clone

evil clone

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:40 PM

this topic deserves a good old pin and front page anouncment tongue.gif

#13 jon20usa

jon20usa

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:57 PM

Yes please do pin this.
K:4034
D:4920

This works flawlessly. Beautiful job. biggrin.gif I think it would be a good idea to try to get a package hosted in "the usual places" that has the new (update) font file. It would also be nice if the package could include the 4920 dash but I don't think "the usual places" allow M$ code so that's probably not going to happen. cool.gif

#14 PedrosPad

PedrosPad

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:59 PM

Also, I wouldn't call this the "ultimate Dashboard exploit" because I see there to be 2 types of exploits (no not font an audio), automatically launched and user launched.  I personally prefer the user launched exploits like DD, booting to an unmodded state first.  Maybe "Ultimate Font Exploit" wink.gif

I don't want to take this thread to far off topic, but...

I named the exploit the "Ultimate Dashboard Exploit" because I think I've already devised a solution to:
  • Cons:
    • No Dashboard access to the XBOX!Live console.
(Rendering the remaining "No XBOX!Live game access to the XBOX!Live console." irrelevant.)

And if it works out, there'll no longer be any reason to manually toggle the exploits. (My idea is restricted to accessing the XBOX!Live console in a safe state - XBOX!Live games will still need to be played from original media!)

I get broadband in 10 days - So I'll know a lot more then.

Edited by PedrosPad, 22 May 2004 - 11:03 PM.

#15 devz3ro

devz3ro

X-S X-perience

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 11:02 PM

Pinned as promised, I believe we have finally made it wink.gif

-devz3ro

http://sh0x.tk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users