X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 25 May 2004 - 12:26 AM

Hi,

I am planning to buy microsft wirless base station mn 700 along with xbox wirless adapter to setup a wireless network of xbox with my pc and laptop. i just wanna know that since i am from india where xbox live is not available can i use xbox for playing music from pc using xbmc if i use this adapter. secondly is this xbox broadband adapter(not base station) can be used on pc or laptop as well. if it cannot be what is the better choice to go for a wireless adapter.

thx in advance.

sachin

#2 Aron Parsons

Aron Parsons

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:13 PM

The wireless adapater works fine with XBMC. I stream music and video with it. It's also just fine for online play (Xlink). It's not useable with other devices (PC or laptop), so you might want to look for a wireless bridge if that is important to you.

#3 sachinwalia

sachinwalia

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 05:15 PM

hi can i use in that case d-link di-624 xtremeg router with d-link dwl-g810 wireless bridge in that case.

i think i can use dwl-g810 with not only xbox but also with other devices for wireless bridge support.

please respond..

cheers.

sachin

#4 Yuyu

Yuyu

X-S Spirit Detective

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Football (Soccer) ... Umm, Xbox?
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 25 May 2004 - 05:26 PM

I would recommend the latest Wireless G offering from Linksys for a router and bridge unit... More stable, faster, less bandwith hogging...

All the newer models of routers, except Linksys, with so called "boost modes" will actually screw up your network pretty good and can cause it to be unstable at times, not only that but if you have neighbors or another wireless network in your house, you will actually be robbing it/ them of bandwith...

#5 sachinwalia

sachinwalia

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 06:19 PM

i compared the features and reviews of linksys and d-link on zdnet.shopper.com and found that linksys wrt54g is inferior than d-link in terms of throughput as well as when question of cost comes both the bridge and router r costly compared to d-link.

what do u suggest.

thx.

sachin

#6 JammDDR

JammDDR

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 May 2004 - 06:35 PM

I have heard not so good things about the D-Link 624. In my opinion Linksys is the best. Also stay away from Netgear routers at all cost.

#7 smouty

smouty

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 10:11 AM

I use a Dlink 2100AP and an xbox wireless adaptor without any problems at all. The xbox adaptor can be used with any ethernet enabled device once it has been configured on an Xbox wink.gif I would recommend dlink as the best price/performance option. With regard to the comment about netgear, I have only heard good things about the 54g routers. They has won many awards in UK.

#8 Skippy989

Skippy989

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 02:25 PM

I use a Linksys WAP54G access point and a Linksys WET54G bridge.

I would recommend the bridge over the wireless adapter, they are close in price and you have a lot more options for expansion with the bridge.

#9 SteveOwens

SteveOwens

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 02:34 PM

what is the setup like to get the ms xbox g device to work with the xbox? I assume there are no issues getting it to work with a hacked xbox?

#10 sachinwalia

sachinwalia

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 01:18 AM

Hi smouty,

r u sure that xbpox wireless adapter can be used with my laptoh xboxp as well after configuring it with xbox. coz thats quiet important for me as i may not be using xbox live service.

thanks,

sachin

#11 Yuyu

Yuyu

X-S Spirit Detective

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE (sachinwalia @ May 25 2004, 03:19 PM)
ifound that linksys wrt54g is inferior than d-link in terms of throughput.

This is one of the bandwith stealing routers I was talking about... Find some good articles of how these so called "boost modes" work on wireless routers and you will see why it is not recommended you use them, or do not do any research and trust a website's review of the product, just saying its your money you should know what your buying and how it works, so you know when problems occur, why they are occuring...

#12 smouty

smouty

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 04:57 AM

QUOTE (sachinwalia @ May 27 2004, 03:18 AM)
Hi smouty,

r u sure that xbpox wireless adapter can be used with my laptoh xboxp as well after configuring it with xbox. coz thats quiet important for me as i may not be using xbox live service.

thanks,

sachin

Once the Bridge is configured it has all the settings (SSID, WEP key etc) stored inside so you can plug any ethernet device into it. I use it on a GC as well as Xbox.

#13 smouty

smouty

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 05:00 AM

QUOTE (SteveOwens @ May 26 2004, 04:34 PM)
what is the setup like to get the ms xbox g device to work with the xbox? I assume there are no issues getting it to work with a hacked xbox?

It comes with a CD that adds a menu to the dash. Works OK for me with the chip disabled. Never tried with X2 on so can't say it will work if you cannot disable your mod or boot to MS dash.

#14 Yuyu

Yuyu

X-S Spirit Detective

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 27 May 2004 - 05:03 AM

And yes, as he stated above, you can use the Xbox Bridge for other devices once it is configured, I actually like the look of it over others...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users