Killazincorp

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 25 May 2004 - 10:03 PM

Ok here is a controller port question. I have installed lights behind all of the ports and i want to put in lights above the ports were it says 1,2,3, & 4. Only thing is i dont want them to be on all the time if they dont have to be. What I want to do is have the light above the port only light up if there is a controller plugged into the port below. If anyone has any information on how to make this work please leave a post. Thanks

#2 R0Bzombie

R0Bzombie

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 25 May 2004 - 10:07 PM

There's a tutorial here on xbox-scene that explains just want you wants
Controller Port Lights

#3 Killazincorp

Killazincorp

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 10:18 PM

Thanks but that is what i have already done

i want to put in lights above the ports were it says 1,2,3, & 4 that only light up if there is a controller plugged into the port below

Edited by Killazincorp, 25 May 2004 - 10:19 PM.

#4 TonyP07

TonyP07

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 10:26 PM

dude, click the link, thats wat u want to do

#5 bvic01

bvic01

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 10:28 PM

i want to put in lights above the ports were it says 1,2,3, & 4 that only light up if there is a controller plugged into the port below

that is what that tutorial tells you how to do, i used that exact one, you can see my pics HERE

Edited by bvic01, 25 May 2004 - 10:28 PM.

#6 TonyP07

TonyP07

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 10:34 PM

question: when i tried this mod, whenever i pugged in my controller the the LED would NOT turn on. I tested the LED and they do work, so idk wats wrong

#7 Killazincorp

Killazincorp

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 10:47 PM

ok ive read it but its not totally clear to me as how this works can someone please explain it to me

#8 TonyP07

TonyP07

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 10:58 PM

click on bvics link that says " HERE "

#9 Killazincorp

Killazincorp

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 12:29 AM

ok from what i understand u just wire the negative side of a LED to the metal shielding of the controller port and the positive to the 5V red wire and tear off the metal prongs on the left and right side NOT the bottom tab and cover all metal up with electrical tape and then when a controller is plugged in the light lights up. The only question i have reguarding this is I hooked the lights that are behind the ports to the metal shielding of the controller port. Is this mod gonna effect them? Also they are on all the time being connected to the metal and to the 5V red wire. Does removing the side tabs allow this mod to work or what is goin on im kinda confused and dont want to mess up any current mods

EDIT: thaught i should add that when doin the lights behind the controller ports i didnt do it the standard way. I pried the back part of the metal shielding off and hot glued the LED inside then soldiered the negative leg to the top of the controller port and the positive to the red wire

Edited by Killazincorp, 26 May 2004 - 12:34 AM.

#10 Killazincorp

Killazincorp

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 02:19 AM

bump

#11 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 26 May 2004 - 02:44 AM

ok basicly the way this mod works is the LED is getting 5V all the time but no ground (so it's off) when you plug a controller in it grounds the shielding on the port and turns the LED on...

the pics aren't very good in the tutorial because honestly although I wrote it I never actually did the mod laugh.gif (just got a ton of requests for a tut because I figured out how to do it).

make sure when you're testing the port you're pluging in a whole controller and not just the dongle... because just the dongle will not turn on the LEDs wink.gif (probably the biggest mistake people make when doing this)... usually if it were wired wrong it would be on all time.

as for your port LEDs check to make sure they're not interfearing with anything, a lot of time dongle LEDs or port LEDs do weird things to cause this and other mods to not work right, but it seems that it's almost always a really easy fix.

good luck beerchug.gif

#12 Killazincorp

Killazincorp

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 03:15 AM

thanks for the info twistedsymphony on the way this tut works. However all other questions besides that havn't been answered and i have not yet installed any lights besides the port lights

I hooked the lights that are behind the ports to the metal shielding of the controller port. I should add that when doing the lights behind the controller ports i didnt do it the standard way. I pried the back part of the metal shielding off and hot glued the LED inside then soldiered the negative leg to the bottom of the controller port and the positive to the red wire. These lights are on all the time.

Is installing lights that dont light up until the controller is plugged in gonna effect the port lights?

Edited by Killazincorp, 26 May 2004 - 03:23 AM.

#13 PaCMaYNE

PaCMaYNE

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 03:26 AM

just stop modding all together

#14 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 26 May 2004 - 04:21 AM

technically if you did the inside port LEDs the way you described, if you were to do my tutorial then those lights inside the ports would only turn on when the controller was plugged in as well laugh.gif

what you'll want to do is the port lights you have... remove the negative leg from the metal shielding and solder it to the black ground wire (which should in no way be connected to the metal shielding...

then you can follow my tutorial as normal and both sets of lights will function properly...

you understand now? wink.gif

#15 Killazincorp

Killazincorp

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 10:08 AM

Ya thanks i just wanted to be 100% sure as to what to do for this mod so that i didnt mess up my controller port lights

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users