• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 compgodjds

compgodjds

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 09:49 AM

A friend of mines unmodded xbox hd died. I have a modded xbox with an 80 gig hd. Can I take my original hd and put it hers? From the research I did, I need to unlock it with my modded\original xbox. Now do I need to hook it up then when it gets to the "X" screen unplug the data cable, it will be unlocked, then plug the data cable into the unmodded xbox and it will relock it? Or am I way out in left field and it won't work unless they are both modded.

Thanks for the help in advance.

#2 gcskate27

gcskate27

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts
  • Interests:video games, prgramming, comps, skateboarding, cooking, taking care of my lizards and dachshund
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 May 2004 - 10:04 AM

you can unlock it with configmagic or evox... but to be useable, it has to be then locked on her mobo... which means installing a modchip and locking it...

#3 The Juggler

The Juggler

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 10:04 AM

Nope, that won't work.

You need the EEPROM from the motherboard of the unmodded xbox. Since it was unmodded, you most likely don't have it.

Your only solution to putting a new HD into the unmodded xbox is to mod it (with a modchip).

#4 mlapaglia

mlapaglia

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 28 May 2004 - 10:11 AM

?? i do this all the time, is there something i am not reading correctly? u can take any locked xbox hdd and put it into any xbox harddrive cant u?

#5 The Juggler

The Juggler

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 10:25 AM

?? i do this all the time, is there something i am not reading correctly? u can take any locked xbox hdd and put it into any xbox harddrive cant u?

Here's a brief synopsis of how it works. The Xbox BIOS generates a HD lock key based on your HD serial number and the EEPROM stored on the motherboard. The stock Xbox HD is locked with this code. When you boot up, your Xbox BIOS attempts to unlock the HD using that generated key. If it can't, it FRAGS.

So, if you take that locked HD out of an xbox and put it into a new one, the new one's BIOS will attempt to generate the HD lock key with the HD serial number (which is the same) and the EEPROM stored on IT'S motherboard (which is different). It won't produce the correct code and won't be able to unlock the drive.

So, you say 'why not unlock the drive first?' Well... If the BIOS cannot unlock the HD it frags. One of the reasons it might not be able to unlock the HD is because it is already unlocked.

Hacked BIOSES don't require the HD to be locked. That's why you can put just about any drive into a modded xbox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users