#1 flattspott

flattspott

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 May 2004 - 04:40 PM

Okay people this is where everything FileManager related will now take place.
If you're interested in helping you can get the souce here
As soon as I get done with what I am doing today, I send koldfuzions newest file.

Right now I am trying to get the dynamic menu stuff working. So if you've been wondering where I dissappeared to... well you know now.

And now some screenshots.
user posted image

user posted image

Edited by flattspott, 01 June 2004 - 02:27 PM.

#2 geniusalz

geniusalz

Team MXM

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 30 May 2004 - 04:57 PM

Sweet. YGPM, flattspott

#3 koldfuzion

koldfuzion

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 07:00 PM

[Filemanger VIEW see both directory lists]
THUMBPAD UP/DOWN Cycle through drives/dirs
X- Mark/Unmark
A-Select (open dir)
RIGHT TRIGGER+PAD UP/DOWN will switch lists.. not direction depended.. just switches to "other" list.
Y - MENU
B - CANCEL MENU. (if menu not showing.. quit filemanager)

Edited by koldfuzion, 01 June 2004 - 11:51 PM.

#4 Jezz_X

Jezz_X

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,531 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:03 AM

A list of what buttons do what would be nice

#5 flattspott

flattspott

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:30 PM

Yea yea would have been nice I suppose. I'll fix it in a minute.

#6 BenJeremy

BenJeremy

X-S Elysian

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 10:48 PM

Oh... dont' forget to include "back1.png" int he next rev. I simply copied back0.png to make the other image file. wink.gif

Looks good so far.

#7 geniusalz

geniusalz

Team MXM

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 10:55 PM

I had a good look at it, and I think it's amazing. I like the look, and the icons add a nice touch.

Thoughts:
What happens when someone presses Y while in the bottom list? The menu that shows up covers the bottom list. Some people might interpret that as the action applying to the bottom list, and some might think it's the top list (action meaning whateve you select, i.e. "move", "copy", "delete", etc)

Little bug:
When you press Y on any item, then press B, it takes two presses of A on ".." to go up a folder.

Major gripe: Lists aren't sorted. Would this be better implemented in the script, or natively, when the 'file search' routines work?

#8 flattspott

flattspott

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:15 PM

What happens when someone presses Y while in the bottom list? The menu that shows up covers the bottom list. Some people might interpret that as the action applying to the bottom list, and some might think it's the top list (action meaning whateve you select, i.e. "move", "copy", "delete", etc)

Well this is the development phase. But after staring at this junk for so long, I was thinking of changing it so the menu stuff pops up so that the overlaps the bottom of the top list and the top of the bottom list. Maybe also add another image resource for it too.

Some people might interpret that as the action applying to the bottom list, and some might think it's the top list (action meaning whateve you select, i.e. "move", "copy", "delete", etc)

The menu stuff was rushed. I only started to implement right before the link was posted. I'm working it out now.

When you press Y on any item, then press B, it takes two presses of A on ".." to go up a folder.

Hm, I look into it, I think that happed to me too. But I forgot I guess.

Major gripe: Lists aren't sorted. Would this be better implemented in the script, or natively, when the 'file search' routines work?

I did suggest BJ do some kind of sorting. I think it'll be best done natively. The only way I thought I can do this would be to use a bunch of xml files. On a sidenote though, you'd of really disliked the very first concept version. It had files and folders all mixed up.

I had a good look at it, and I think it's amazing. I like the look, and the icons add a nice touch.

Thanks man. However it's probably horrible scriptwise. My motto is, whatever gets the job done. And would you mind explaining what YGPM means?

#9 koldfuzion

koldfuzion

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:21 PM

i can help out a little with all of that.

YGPM = You Got Private Message smile.gif

Hope it helped!

EDIT:

Some people might interpret that as the action applying to the bottom list, and some might think it's the top list (action meaning whateve you select, i.e. "move", "copy", "delete", etc)

The menu stuff was rushed. I only started to implement right before the link was posted. I'm working it out now.

The original thinking was to limit any actions to the top list only. for 2 reasons. 1. to consume less code just to make actions interchangeable to both lists.
2. To allow an area for the menu without having allways use popups. I dont really see the confusion here. With the panes labeled as Source, Target... a user should know where its coming from and going to.

Now, keep in mind there might be a slight learning curve. Lets see a show of hands for people that said "What the F" when they first tried to copy in boxplorer.

One remedy.. might be to have a text statement (when the menu is shown) that says what the source and target locations are.... or to do it as a confirmation on Action commands. (blah blah blah pull left+right trigger +start to execute ring a bell?)

Edited by koldfuzion, 01 June 2004 - 11:33 PM.

#10 flattspott

flattspott

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:25 PM

I thought thats what it meant. But strangly enough it wasn't on the online internet lingo dictionary i went to to go and look it up.

<< Yes I tried to look it up. blink.gif

#11 flattspott

flattspott

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:40 PM

@koldfuzion

Well as I doing the new menu stuff I plan on locking the Target list from anything other then browsing. All operations will take place from the source list and the script will known when to actually use the target folder, that and if its valid too.

#12 koldfuzion

koldfuzion

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:45 PM

users should be made to confirm any action.... during this confirmation is when the source/destination can be confirmed.

im guilty of mashing buttons to see what they do too.. it would suck if i moved all of my C drive to F drive without having a way to prevent/cancel out of the action. rotfl.gif

#13 flattspott

flattspott

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 12:29 AM

I thought only I did the whole button mashing thing. tongue.gif

I thought about the prompts before actually doing any operations. But I'd rather have people screw up there Xbox's instead... just kidding

#14 Yuyu

Yuyu

X-S Spirit Detective

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Football (Soccer) ... Umm, Xbox?
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 02 June 2004 - 04:40 AM

What is going to hapen to filemanager text positioning and "skin"positioning when/if BJ adds screen resizing? Just wondering if this will be effected since it is "skinnable"...

#15 geniusalz

geniusalz

Team MXM

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 05:14 AM

I think there can be an easy way to implement working with either 'pane'. If not, then I think only folders should be shown on the bottom pane, to emphasize 'target'

Or just have a popup selecting 'target', but I think it's a little too late for that, considering much of the work is done for the 2 pane view.

I'll look at the code in more detail and think about it.

Edit: Right now the skinnability is not implemented into 'mxm skins', but it might be possible.

Edited by geniusalz, 02 June 2004 - 05:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users