43 replies to this topic

#31 timo1023

timo1023

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:23 PM

I am having trouble. I set up the shares correctly, and I can see that they are there, but when I put in username and PW, I never get it right. This is confusing and I am working on it...

EDIT: Ok this is ticking me off. I cannot gain access to my computer. I can' tifgure out why, but it is just refusing to let me. I know the password and username are correct.

Edited by timo1023, 11 March 2006 - 07:33 PM.

#32 timo1023

timo1023

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 10:28 PM

Sorry, I figured this out and then forgot about this topic. I solved this by going into account settings and checking "Allow this user to log in from windows". This should be put into the tut.

#33 MacMats

MacMats

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE(YoMama1111 @ Aug 18 2004, 08:49 PM) View Post

installing this software is totally unneeded

All you need to do is put your username in the samba path and sharing will work perfectly without haveing to install more software.

Example:

Instead of this:
CODE

<!-- my music shares !-->
<music>
   <default></default>
   <bookmark>
     <name>seven5's Music</name>
     <path>smb://USER:PASS@192.168.1.62/Music/</path>
   </bookmark>
</music>

have this:

CODE

<!-- my music shares !-->
<music>
   <default></default>
   <bookmark>
     <name>seven5's Music</name>
     <path>smb://USER:PASS@192.168.1.62/USER/Music/</path>
   </bookmark>
</music>  

notice "smb://USER:PASS@192.168.1.62/Music/" has changed to "smb://USER:PASS@192.168.1.62/USER/Music/" where USER is the same as the first USER

In case there are people struggeling out there:

Have been using Sharepoints and got it to work, but wanted to have my media linked up directly under "my movies, music++".
Tried to use your example, but the xbmc couldīnt find my files. When I removed "USER" from the path, getting: "smb://mats:password@192.168.2.147/Music" it all worked out..
Donīt know why, but I am thrilled that I finally can browse my media easiy..

#34 comokepa

comokepa

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:23 PM

Is there is people still dealing with this?

I am sorry to point it out again, but you do not need to install Sharepoints (or any other software) at all to get this working. Yes, even if you are sharing things outside your home folder (external disks included).

The only point of installing Sharepoints is if you are somehow worried of sharing your whole Home folder, instead of just the specific folders were you hold your media. On the other hand, you will have to be checking the availability of Sharepoints and its compatibility each time you upgrade your OS. No bothering with Apple's Samba (Windows sharing) implementation (so far).

Just use symbolic links or symlinks (they are for Unix what an alias is for Mac OS or a shortcut is for Windows). Mount the disk, and throw a symlink that points to it to your Home folder and call it from XBMC.

Explained step by step:
  1. Mount (i.e. connect to your Mac) the external HDD you want to share.
  2. Locate the folder you want to share and write down its path. Let's say it is "/Volumes/NAME_OF_HDD/My other movies"
  3. Open the Terminal.
  4. Type the following
    CODE
    ln -s "/Volumes/NameOfHDD/My other movies" ~
    Either that or read LaunchBar's Help file on Drag & Drop if you use that. (Since you are pointing to an external HDD, an absolute symlink would seem more appropriate, but unless you move everything to a new computer, relative ones should work too).
  5. Look in your home folder. A new symlink appeared that points to the external HDD. Rename it any way you want.
  6. Go to System Preferences > Sharing and activate Windows sharing. Be sure to dig into its "Accounts…" button and activate all user accounts whose home folders you want to be able to browse from XBMC.
  7. Go to XBMC and edit the path to a certain share or create a new one. You can do this from the contextual menus. No need to tinker with xml files for this anymore. Its path should be smb://SHORT_USERNAME:PASSWORD@IP_NUMBER/NAME_OF_HOME_FOLDER/NAME_OF_SYMLINK

For example "smb://comokepa:ubersecret@192.168.1.2/comokepa/My other movies", and let's call it "Dearest Mac" or whatever.

There you go.

Note that you can use this symlink method in other ways:
  • You can move that symlink. It does not need to be in the top level of your Home folder (but it must be somewhere inside it). You could just throw them all into your Public folder for instance. Just be sure to adjust the path when creating the share in XBMC.
  • You can manually edit the file Sources.xml (if your XBMC is somewhat up to date, you no longer do this in xboxmediacenter.xml) and add several paths to one single share. This should show the contents of both shared locations into one single virtual network share. I have not tried this, though, and do not know what happens when there are items with identical files in both folders. An example:
    CODE
    <bookmark>
        <name>Dearest Mac</name>
        <path>smb://comokepa:ubersecret@192.168.1.2/comokepa/Movies</path>
        <path>smb://comokepa:ubersecret@192.168.1.2/comokepa/More Movies</path>
    </bookmark>
  • You can throw the symlink into your Movies folder. This way the movies folder from the external HDD will appear as a subfolder of your Movies folder in your Home folder both on your Mac and on XBMC. (i.e. like above, you'll access all your movies from one single share in XBMC).

#35 echoscience

echoscience

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 04:39 AM

it keeps asking for me to enter my username/password. i can see the shared folders set up using samba but i can not get any data from inside. why does it keep asking me for my user/pass over and over again?? i copied all data down into the .xml file

#36 ginsu777

ginsu777

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 07:23 PM

can I gt an update as to file sharing between Mac OS X and XBMC? I have never gotten it to work. the only way I can see MUSIC is to use FIREFLY, and that only lets me gain access to my iTunes files. I want to access pictures, movies, etc on XBMC. Why can't it jsut access the PICTURES and MOVIES folders?

I have shared all these files with a windows machine before, but there needs to be a CURRENT tut on this.

This will help alot of folks.

#37 mike315

mike315

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE(ginsu777 @ Feb 12 2007, 01:30 PM) View Post

I have shared all these files with a windows machine before, but there needs to be a CURRENT tut on this.

This tutorial is "current", and works. If it does not then its likely something to do with your computer or with how you did it.

comokepa's instructions work also....actually what i do is what jrau suggested: edit the smb.conf directly. but if you're a noob, then sharepoints is the way to go.

#38 ginsu777

ginsu777

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE(mike315 @ Feb 13 2007, 05:44 PM) View Post

if you're a noob, then sharepoints is the way to go.

nice to see other syracuse folks on here!

btw--been hacking xbox since it came out. you should know that all of a sudden, without any changes, the SMB workgroup networking started to work. So I just pointed the resources to the proper folder in XBMC. No changes were otherwise made.

thank you for your assistance and kind words dry.gif

#39 mike315

mike315

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 18 February 2007 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE(ginsu777 @ Feb 17 2007, 09:56 AM) View Post

nice to see other syracuse folks on here!

btw--been hacking xbox since it came out. you should know that all of a sudden, without any changes, the SMB workgroup networking started to work. So I just pointed the resources to the proper folder in XBMC. No changes were otherwise made.

thank you for your assistance and kind words dry.gif

I did notice something odd in dealing with OS X machines...the smbd service will have stopped running, and has to be restarted manually. ive never noticed it on my work machine, but have noticed it several times on other peoples macs. Odd.

Un-clicking then Re-clicking "windows filesharing" did the trick...im sure starting smbd from shell wouldave worked as well. Like any computer/os, Apple has its share of nuances also. smile.gif

On a totally nerdy bragging side note:

I actually connect to my work Mac from home with xbmc...via pptp vpn...my firewall/gateway(pfsense) vpn's into work, and then i can hit my work Mac just like it was a local machine. not fast enough for video streaming, but plenty fast for mp3 streaming.

tongue.gif

#40 Human1

Human1

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:07 PM

Hi guys

smb://SHORT_USERNAME:PASSWORD@IP_NUMBER/NAME_OF_HOME_FOLDER/NAME_OF_SYMLINK

Don't you need to put the computer name somewhere? My Xbox keeps poping up an error "Invalid Computer Name"

Or do I need to chage he setting on the Xbox in Network/SMB Client tab?

Edited by Human1, 25 September 2007 - 05:13 PM.

#41 nullobject

nullobject

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:46 PM

sweet man, i haven't been able to access my mac sincei bought my xbox, 3 years now, i can watch stuff in my tv without using FTP.

thanks a lot.

#42 robotparker

robotparker

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:21 AM

I'm having trouble getting the symlink to work with XBMC. right now I have a folder on my local hard drive for streaming freshly downloaded content with archived content on an external drive. when I tried to add a link straight to the external drive and/or its symlink in XBMC, it just constantly asks for my login and password over and over. when I tried dropping the symlink in the downloads folder and browsing it from there, it does the same thing. could it possibly have something to do with the fact that the external drive is formatted FAT32?

#43 robotparker

robotparker

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:42 AM

oh yeah, I'm running snow leopard 10.6.4.

#44 robotparker

robotparker

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:21 AM

I got it working! here's how:

- under the video tab, hit "Add Source"
- in this new window, hit the browse button
- at the bottom of this list, his "Add network location..."
- change "Protocol" to "Windows Sharing (SMB)" and under Server Name put the IP address of your Mac
- use your shortname for the login and your regular password for the password and hit ok
- this should bring up a new window with a listing of all the shared folders on your Mac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users