Photo

Any Way To Edit Default Mount Commands In Dosxbox?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stooge999x

stooge999x

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 11:22 AM

Whenever I load up dosxbox, it automatically mounts "D:\games\" as the C:\ drive (useless for running games off the hdd), then mounts the dvd-rom drive as the D:\ drive (isn't that pretty much the same thing?), then it tries to mount the xbox's "R:\" drive as the E:\ drive (wtf is an R:\ drive?). By the way, it fails to set R:\ because it doesn't exist (obviously).
Unless older xbox's had different drive setups (not sure why they would), then this all seems like one big mistake. Because after starting up dosxbox, it preloads these settings, then if you want to mount a new directory with the "MOUNT" command, you get the error "cannot locate c:\mount" or something.
There is no .ini file for dosxbox, so I am stumped on how to mount other directories. With it set up this way, my only choice is to run games from the dvd-drive, and they have to be in the "D:\games" folder. Which is rather lame.
Is it possible to edit the default.xbe file to change this setting? I'd really prefer to load my games from the hard drive, and get rid of that MOUNT E "r:\" command (could that r:\ be a typo by the programmer, since in the readme he says the xbox e: drive is mounted as the dosbox e: drive?). Any help on configuring this program would be great.

#2 chilin_dude

chilin_dude

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 03 June 2004 - 11:29 AM

I think that D:\Games\ reffers to the games folder from in the dosxbox folder you are runnign it from!

#3 stooge999x

stooge999x

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 11:47 AM

no it doesn't. I'm very familiar with dosbox for the pc. the command "MOUNT C "D:\games"" is mounting the real d:\games directory as the dosbox c drive.

#4 chilin_dude

chilin_dude

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 11:54 AM

ohmy.gif That is why it wouldn't Frickin work for me then!!! Have you got any games working without using a keyboard yet? If so can you post up how you did it?

#5 stooge999x

stooge999x

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 12:16 PM

First off: I ordered a usb to xbox adapter so i can use a keyboard. Only $10 (including shipping) from ebay.

Now, yes I have gotten games to work, but I can't input anything so i just watch the openings over and over. :\

But I'll tell you how since, if i were in your place, i'd be dying to know too smile.gif

I should mention the game I was dying to get on my xbox is Hovertank 3-D, which many people may know as the very first FPS ever, published by softdisk and programmed by none other than John Carmack and John Romero.

When i noticed it was mounting D:\games\ as the c: drive, I burned all the hovertank files (all 300k of them tongue.gif) to a dvd+rw, in the directory "games" (so in the xbox, that would be D:\games). That way, when it checked the mystuff file, it would just have to load "c:\hover.exe" (the real file, just to clarify, was d:\games\hover.exe).

Ah yes, the mystuff file. I wasn't sure where i should put it, so i had one of them in the same directory as dosxbox, and one in the d:\games folder (i'm pretty sure this is where it should go). All I made was a batch file that ran C:\hover.exe, and saved it as "mystuff.bat". Sure enough, when i got around to loading dosxbox, after a few seconds hovertank loaded right up.
But it was nothing more than a tease since i couldn't input any commands. The readme covers editing input, but it involves saving a config file and editing it manually, which i can't do since i can't type in the command to save the config file. I even tried editing the keyboard_defs.txt file but that didnt work either.
So until i get my usb adapter, I'm just going to try to figure out how to mount other directories and not try to play any games.

#6 chilin_dude

chilin_dude

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 12:31 PM

Wow thanks for the detailed explanation... I've just been going over my old dos collection and I am amazed at how excited they all got me, can't wait to play some of them again.
So the way I was going wrong was having the mystuff.bat in the dosxbox folder when it should have been on a disk I take it.
However if you have done this and it reads the mystuff then surely you could get it to output a config file for you to edit couldn't you?
Couldn't you just make the mystuff contain the command to write the config file to E:\config.txt, then you could edit that to your liking and get dosxbox to read that through the mystuff file?

#7 stooge999x

stooge999x

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 01:20 PM

Nope, I thought of that already. the command is "config -writeconfig <output>", and when you try that, all it says is "cannot locate the file c:\config - writeconfig blah blah". I just hope once i get my keyboard adapter i'll figure something out. I really wanna play some hovertank, wolfenstein, and alone in the dark, among others.

#8 chilin_dude

chilin_dude

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • 4,945 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 01:29 PM

Well at the moment I am getting my collection of games together from the cupboards again, got about 20 so far, In 3 hours I've got a couple of hours free so I will see if I can get it working smile.gif

#9 XPort

XPort

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 05 June 2004 - 11:20 AM

If your DOSXBOX.XBE file is located in E:\\GAMES\\DOSXBOX\\DOSXBOX.XBE, then when you boot it, D:\\ is equal to E:\\GAMES\\DOSXBOX\\.

If your DOSXBOX.XBE file is located in C:\\GAMES\\DOSXBOX\\DOSXBOX.XBE, then when you boot it, D:\\ is equal to C:\\GAMES\\DOSXBOX\\.

etc.

So when the mount command is mounting D:\\GAMES it is looking at the GAMES directory off of the location where your DOSXBOX.XBE file is located. If you are loading the XBE from a DVD, then you'll have to put the games on the DVD also. The wisest course of action is to run the XBE from off of the hard drive.

Specific example - E:\\GAMES\\DOSXBOX\\DOSXBOX.XBE - when I run it, D:\\GAMES will be equal to E:\\GAMES\\DOSXBOX\\GAMES - which will be what DOSXBOX sees as the C drive after the mounting.

R:\\ is the XBox DVD-ROM drive. If you have made a disc will files on it using a tool like SIMPLEXISO, then it can be mounted as a regular file-system also. If you have a regular ISO9660 CD, then you can put it in your DVD-ROM drive but you'll have to issue a specific mount command in order to read the ISO9660 structure. That command syntax is located in the docs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users